Author Topic: 1000W class D teardown please  (Read 3598 times)

Offline ETITsynthesizerTopic starter

• Contributor
1000W class D teardown please
« on: September 02, 2020, 02:51:02 am »
I like this modern fanless small package high output amp. I want to learn more about mosfets, power supplies, class D, thermals etc..can someone buy this and send it to Dave via mailbag?

https://www.parts-express.com/icepower-1000asp-class-d-audio-amplifier-with-power-supply-module-1-x-1000w--326-206

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: 1000W class D teardown please
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 03:05:01 am »
I like this modern fanless small package high output amp.
Fanless, sort of. It's heatsink is made for easy attachement of additional heatsink/enclosure. So either you should attach it to a large heatsink or provide active cooling to run it at high power for more than ten seconds.
Continuous output power without thermal shutdown.
Thermal stab. @ Ta = 25OC 4Ohm, no external heatsink. - 85W
Ta = 50OC 4Ohm, no external heatsink. - 40W
can someone buy this and send it to Dave via mailbag?
As it's you who want it, why not buy yourself?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:08:54 am by wraper »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 05:22:10 am »
It already has no case so why is a teardown even needed ? You can see everything in it on photos.

And if you think Dave would reverse engineer this thing into a schematic you are very wrong, Takes way more work than would fit into a mailbag segment.

Not that i would expect all that much special to see in its design. Its simply a well designed and quality made switching PSU + D class amplifier on one board. The price of 250 USD looks like a rather nice deal for it too.

And as wrapper has pointed out this will definitely require the metal plate on the bottom to be mounted to an appropriate huge heatsink in order to run this at full power continuously. The datasheet specs a total efficiency of 79% so in order to produce 1000W it needs to draw 1265W of power. Those extra 265W are turned into heat. Good thing is that music doesn't continuously play full volume tones (At least the music i would ever want to listen to) so only a fraction of the full output power is used on average and this means you might only need to dissipate 1/4 of that.

Offline ETITsynthesizerTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 10:29:12 am »
I didn't expect him to trace it out. If I wanted it traced I would do it myself. I was expecting him to identify things in the general sense. read some part numbers. post a link to a buck converter. basic stuff he always does in mailbag. I am not yet an electrical engineer. I'm sure I could learn more from watching mailbag than I can from looking at a picture with no part numbers. there is one component in the lower left that is vertical. I have no idea what it is. my first guess was TDA____ or STK____. I'm sure Dave would mention something about why these specific components were chosen, example: low cost, mass production, small package etc..The one thing missing from books is real world examples for modern designs including all the protection circuits and design improvements not found in an a basic example. This often goes with Dave shouting out part numbers and suggesting similar part numbers from memory.

why don't I buy it myself and send it to Dave? because I don't have the money to engage in philanthropy right now. Maybe after I'm done with school. If I get a good job.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 11:33:45 am »
For these reasons manufacturers have reference designs like this for example:
https://www.ti.com/tool/TIDA-00874

And couple it with the kind of PSU you want like this:
https://www.ti.com/tool/PMP10215

Obviously the particular manufacturer will use all of there own chips in there, but you get the full design files for such manufacturer supplied reference designs, so full schematics, PCB files, BOM..etc everything needed to actually manufacture that design. This is also sometimes accompanied by extra documentation that nicely explains how the thing works and why things are designed in the way they are.

So just choose a manufacturer who's chips you want to use and have a look at what reference designs they offer. Even if they don't call it reference designs they will still have evaluation boards for the chips they make (same thing really).

You will not learn much by just looking at a board reading part numbers off chips. Even if you had the full schematic that is not the full story. Even how the traces are run on the PCB is important with such big high power and high performance designs.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 12:11:44 pm »
don't I buy it myself and send it to Dave? because I don't have the money to engage in philanthropy right now. Maybe after I'm done with school. If I get a good job.
It's called sponsorship, not philanthropy. Philanthropy is when you get nothing out of the deal and just give the money away expecting nothing in return.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 12:18:35 pm »
don't I buy it myself and send it to Dave? because I don't have the money to engage in philanthropy right now. Maybe after I'm done with school. If I get a good job.
It's called sponsorship, not philanthropy. Philanthropy is when you get nothing out of the deal and just give the money away expecting nothing in return.

And if .. a big IF .. Dave fulfills the request, buying the amplifier with his own money, and do a tear down, analyzing and etc, just to make the op happy, then that is philanthropy.  :-DD

C'mon op, wake up, this request is not realistic.  ::)

Online Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 01:06:51 pm »
Hi,

To the original poster, what are your interests in this design?

Are you wanting to design something (clone) similar?

There is quite a lot of information, short of the schematic,  published in these documents.

Datasheet

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/326-106--icepower-1000asp-class-d-amp-module-1x1000w-data-sheet.pdf

User Manual

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/icepower-asp-series-manual.pdf

ICEpower is a part of Bang and Olufsen, a well established consumer electronics company in Denmark.

This appears to be a well engineered product, with its limitations described accurately in the documents.

The limitations in output power versus time, limitations in output power versus frequency, requirements for additional cooling etc. all laid out in the documents.

The overall efficiency is around 80%, This is probably a 90% power supply followed by a 90% class D amplifier. There does not appear to be a power factor correction circuit.

Although described as 1000W, the lowest output power described on the datasheet is 40W continuous in a 50C ambient no external cooling.

The FTC, Federal Trade Commission rating is 150W. This is to be expected, most audio amplifiers are designed to 25% duty cycle.

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline CChin254

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 10:24:25 pm »
IC Identification:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf