Author Topic: MORE VINTAGE TEARDOWNS! :)  (Read 2705 times)

Offline valvedoctorTopic starter

• Contributor
MORE VINTAGE TEARDOWNS! :)
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:01:23 pm »
My suggestion is for you to do more vintage tear downs!

I realize most of your audience are into more modern technology, but I think some tube/valve test equipment from HP, or something like that would be of interest, show these silicon fan-boys what made the world tick 60 years ago and beyond. Anything vintage for that matter is of interest to me! Communications receivers from the war-era, etc. The list goes on and on.  :-+

BTW, I've been a viewer since the blog began and I love all the episodes, but the tear-downs and vintage stuff really gets me going.  :clap:

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: MORE VINTAGE TEARDOWNS! :)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:26 pm »
Eh... forget all this electronics shit, I want to see a teardown of a horse! Let's see what made the world tick 200 years ago.

:P
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

alm

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:35:37 pm »
I think Vincent (free_electron) would gladly do teardowns of vintage tube equipment. He would go as far as disassembling all the tubes so you can see what's inside. With a hammer. No guarantees about it working after putting it back together.

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:00:26 am »
Eh... forget all this electronics shit, I want to see a teardown of a horse! Let's see what made the world tick 200 years ago.

:P

screw the horse, I want a molecule teardown, Let's see what made everything we are made of.   :-+

-kizzap

<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:31:36 am »
How about a slightly vintage TV set? It even came with windows in it, in 1995.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHCgpB9

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »
I think Vincent (free_electron) would gladly do teardowns of vintage tube equipment. He would go as far as disassembling all the tubes so you can see what's inside. With a hammer. No guarantees about it working after putting it back together.
YES ! HAMMERTIME !
I'd go so far as to start with the tubes. The chassis and the rest would be vigorously attacked with a range of preciision tools going from a small ball peen hammer  to a 60 pound sledgehammer.
For larger equipment i may have to invest in pneumatic hammers or even one of those machines that are used to make very compact cars...

Where's my box of hammers ?
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 01:54:22 pm »
, I want a molecule teardown, Let's see what made everything we are made of.   :-+

-kizzap
Pff ,wannabe.

Do like the guys at CERN .. Their large hadron collider tears down matter on a whole new scale .... lets toss old vacuum tube stuff in the LHC and really tear it apart ....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:57:21 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 04:16:46 pm »
And now for something completely different: I will just leave this little mind bender here, for absolutely no good yet completely OT reasons. :D

Offline mxbeanie

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 02:32:01 pm »
An old tube T.V. set teardown would be sweet, or maybe a vacuum tube amplifier or radio.  They are kinda basic, but it would be cool too see how crusty the power supply caps are in an old tube amp. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf