EEVblog > News/Suggestions/Help

All topics are labelled as 'New' even going back to 2009 ???

(1/1)

Liam G:
If everything is new then nothing is new. I'm sure this causes newcomers to accidentally dredge up old obsolete posts, thinking they're still relevant/active. [see image below showing posts from 2009]

pcprogrammer:
Hi Liam G, this might be because you most likely never used the button to mark all messages as read.

Below the "Hello Liam G" text on top of the page, there is a text "Show unread posts since last visit.". Just click that and it will show the top couple of pages with the newest posts.

Above the list on the right hand side is a button to mark all the messages as read. It can also be found below the list. This will mark everything as read and it will no longer show as "new"

Have fun on the forum. :)

magic:

--- Quote from: Liam G on September 02, 2022, 03:36:58 pm ---I'm sure this causes newcomers to accidentally dredge up old obsolete posts, thinking they're still relevant/active. [see image below showing posts from 2009]

--- End quote ---
I suppose that's a possible risk, but we don't see a lot of it in practice. It seems most people quickly realize that's not what "new" means.

The "new" label only means that the topic contains posts that you haven't read yet.

pcprogrammer:
Oh, you may also have noticed that the inline image function does not work. See your post, the image should have been made visible where the " [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] " text is, but unfortunately that code does not work. Easiest to just use the default "End-of-post expandable thumbnail" option.

Most users prefer it that way anyways due to page layout and internet speed issues.

Liam G:

--- Quote from: pcprogrammer on September 02, 2022, 03:51:20 pm ---Hi Liam G, this might be because you most likely never used the button to mark all messages as read. . .

--- End quote ---

Thanks. That seems to have done the trick. But no one would ever figure out that solution on their own. I would assume that most newcomers just accept it as it is and just live with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version