Author Topic: Ask in the "beginners" section or in "Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff" ?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline EternalBeginnerTopic starter

Hello everybody,

I just created an account here.

I think it is a good idea to have an extra forum space for beginners to ask questions.
I am sure lots of people here have posted their first topics there.

And I know that there is probably no "correct" answer to the following question:

At which point do you stop "beeing a beginner" ?

For example: I have been working on electronics projects as a hobby for a few years now, I have lots of test and measurement equipment (and know how to use it  :) ), lots of bins and boxes full of components and half-finished projects but despite all of that I would still call myself a "beginner".
Why?
Because there is always more to learn!

(And because I mostly learned about electronics "by myself", so I probably don't know some things that "proper" EEs would consider to be "very basic")

So if there is always something more to learn, doesn't that mean that we all are beginners?
 ???

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
I'm sure there are philosophy forums out there that will be able to answer your question.

As for technical questions - just do your best to place it in the correct section and you will be fine.
Alex

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
And I know that there is probably no "correct" answer to the following question:

At which point do you stop "beeing [sic] a beginner" ?

When you can join a forum and pick the correct place to post such a question.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Quite often one can be fairly experienced in some areas yet a complete beginner in others. I could easily design an op-amp filter or switched mode power supply, but I'm a complete beginner when it comes to C programming. I've been on this forum for 121/2 years and recently made a topic in the beginners section about C.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
So if there is always something more to learn, doesn't that mean that we all are beginners?

Yes. Repeat, no.

Relevant concepts are "renaissance man" and "local expert".

The first is exceedingly rare.

The second is usually applied to someone who has general knowledge of an an area, and has just researched a specific topic so they know more than those around them.

It pays to be humble, but not too humble. Experts will quickly work out if someone is " faking it",  and they will lose all credibility. Experts will appreciate somebody that states the limits of their knowledge plus their suspicions.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline EternalBeginnerTopic starter

Ok.
So if I feel like "this might be a 'stupid question' I will ask it in the beginner section", otherwise in the "Projects" or "repair" or whatever fits best - section.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Ok.
So if I feel like "this might be a 'stupid question' I will ask it in the beginner section", otherwise in the "Projects" or "repair" or whatever fits best - section.

You've noticed the problem with any tree taxonomy, e.g. the Dewey Decimal system of cataloguing books in a library, or just a filing cabinet! For example, when I get a bank statement showing the interest/tax paid, should I file that with other documents from the bank or other documents about annual tax returns. Fundamentally there can be no single right answer, only many wrong answers, e.g. in that example, using ADCs and DACs.

I hope that you will continue to ask "beginner" questions for the rest of your life, because if you don't you are stagnating. All you have to do is state your questions, background information, and what you do and don't know. Perhaps this will be useful in avoiding annoying traps: https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/good-questions-pique-our-interest-and-dont-waste-our-time-2/

Summary: don't worry about it, but continue to avoid being stupid!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 08:00:07 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: EternalBeginner

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf