Author Topic: Crazy the amount of swearing in this forum  (Read 8801 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Crazy the amount of swearing in this forum
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2022, 12:39:13 am »
We would often turn off the main breaker of faulty things which shouldn't be turned on & label them "disabled".
The first time I encountered a "Disabled" toilet, I wondered why anyone would disable a dunny
Cant get a better example of people taking offence on behalf of others,banned by the bbc for being offensive to disabled people
https://youtu.be/6isXNVdguI8
Even though it was written and performed by someone registered as disabled and who  often referred to himself as a raspberry

People getting offended on behalf of others is another thing that drives me nuts. More than once I've heard somebody say something is offensive to some group that applies to me and I'm thinking wait a sec, did you even think to ask me if *I* find it offensive before making that assumption? No, of course they didn't, because it's just mindless virtue signalling.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2022, 01:38:24 am »
People getting offended on behalf of others is another thing that drives me nuts. More than once I've heard somebody say something is offensive to some group that applies to me and I'm thinking wait a sec, did you even think to ask me if *I* find it offensive before making that assumption? No, of course they didn't, because it's just mindless virtue signalling.

I don't want to cause any trouble, or offend you in anyway, and especially not make anything up.  But the forum members, of the great transistors, burnt out society, from Mars, (would theoretically, especially if they actually existed) take extreme offense, at you taking offense, to another group that makes things up, for taking offense.
It's too late to say sorry.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2022, 06:56:27 am »
Personally I don’t like swearing, but provided others don’t behave that way in front of my family then it’s entirely their business. For those that want it, there are profanity filters available for Firefox and probably other browsers too.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/advanced_profanity_filter/
Problem solved.

Profanity filters drive me nuts. I mean not in concept, but in practice they tend to be incredibly stupid. Alexa is one of the worst offenders I have dealt with, words like "pussycat" and "pussyfoot" are not dirty/swear words at all and yet "she" will say "<bleep> cat" and there is no way to disable that.

In my last job before retiring, the contract IT guy did his routine visit to mess with our server, & inadvertently set the profanity filter to "hard" filtering.

Australian businesses have a thing called a "Australian Business Number"or "ABN".
I answered an email from a bloke whose last name sounded vaguely like " F----ing".
As part of my answer, I included part of his mesage, including his ABN,
To the filter protocol, the name and ABN, interpreted as a rather nasty comment about indigenous people.
My message was rejected for "Racial Defamation"!

I was so astounded that I sent an internal e -mail to the Boss, saying "The bloody thing has blocked me!"
That, too, was blocked, this time for "profanity"! >:( >:(

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2022, 07:45:11 am »

I was so astounded that I sent an internal e -mail to the Boss, saying "The bloody thing has blocked me!"
That, too, was blocked, this time for "profanity"! >:( >:(

"Profanity filters" must be the stupidest, most worthless American invention that contributes absolutely nothing to computer security (what does it actually contribute to?), or actually impacts negatively! Luckily we don't usually use such things in Europe.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2022, 09:36:43 am »
Swearing isn't as offensive as it used to be. Society changes. Old newspapers wouldn't print the f-word, but wouldn't have a problem with racial slurs such as paki and coon. Nowadays they will happily print cunt and fuck, but not p-word and c**n.

The UK used to be very "high & mighty" back in the 1960s/70s about being the only country with a "Race Relations Act".
My feeling, after living there for a while in 71/72 as that they were the only country that needed one!

The "P, C, & N words" were widespread amongst the demographic I worked with.
Then there was the "much loved"  "Black & White Minstrel Show" on TV, with completely unnecessary "blackface" on the performers, not to mention "Till Death Us Do Part".

The Black and White Minstrell Show baffled me and was gob-smackingly awful on many levels.

'Til Death Us Do Part was very explicitly designed to ridicule the old-fashioned racist attitudes, showing them for what they were and ridiculing them.

Better examples of the attitudes of the times might be the comedy in "The Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club", "The Comedians" (both with Bernard Manning, shudder), or "Love Thy Neighbour". Hard to watch nowadays.

No, the old days weren't always golden!

Before I went there, I thought Alf Garnett was ridiculously over drawn, but, "bugger me", I'm sure I worked with him!

They existed. They still exist. Everywhere.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2022, 09:54:15 am »
or "Love Thy Neighbour". Hard to watch nowadays.

Believe it or not, the pilot episode of LTN is on youtube and is worth a re-watch. You'll see that Eddie Booth is not only a racist but a two-faced racist.
iratus parum formica

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2022, 10:08:17 am »
or "Love Thy Neighbour". Hard to watch nowadays.

Believe it or not, the pilot episode of LTN is on youtube and is worth a re-watch. You'll see that Eddie Booth is not only a racist but a two-faced racist.

Actually, that rings a bell.

ISTR the black neighbour being a decent person, and the white protagonist (Booth) being ignorant and unnecessarily fearful. Nonetheless, whereas 'TDUDP was searing radical TV and obvious, LTN was a more typical sitcom and more ambiguous.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 10:11:46 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf