Author Topic: Corrupted attachments  (Read 2948 times)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Corrupted attachments
« on: June 30, 2020, 02:34:25 pm »
I just posted some PNG files from an Instek in the "Scope Wars" thread and then in another post attached a couple of JPEGs from an Owon and Rigol.  A JPEG from the 2nd post is now linked where the Instek PNG file was.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/scope-wars/msg3112644/#msg3112644

I had a lot of trouble about a week ago where everything got very flakey before the server went away for several hours.

Reg

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
Re: Corrupted attachments
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 12:06:18 pm »
I have had this problem also with attached photos.
I thought it was being looked into???

Just want to pop this up. 
I'm still see linked photos not matching their thumbnails on new posts.   :-//

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:44:51 pm »
Please feature the status of this issue somewhere prominently.
Otherwise it is inevitably coming up again and again and again.

Inform your users please. Currently we only see mentions of this sprinkled around that you are working on it.
I get it, this can't be an easy fix (if it was it would already be done :p), and i would not even be surprised if it cannot even be retroactively fixed for existing posts.

But keep the users in the loop.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 11:51:50 pm »
Please feature the status of this issue somewhere prominently.
Otherwise it is inevitably coming up again and again and again.

Inform your users please. Currently we only see mentions of this sprinkled around that you are working on it.
I get it, this can't be an easy fix (if it was it would already be done :p), and i would not even be surprised if it cannot even be retroactively fixed for existing posts.

But keep the users in the loop.

This issue has been actively discussed here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/website-error-reports/msg3107598/#msg3107598 It is posted in an appropriate Topic Area Server Error Reports This has been going on for a while and it is being addressed by the appropriate administrator. Many users, to try to be helpful, are posting their experiences and potential work arounds.

Posts about the problem, crop up here and there in other areas and I suspect that the folks posting about it in other places do not realize that there is an appropriate topic area for those posts.

It is frustrating for everybody and obviously it is not a simple problem to eradicate. I check my posts (including skipping the first slot which may or may not make a difference) and just try to get by until it gets fixed.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 06:54:47 am »
The thing is though, and I had a similar discussion in another forum recently, such a "bucket thread" is not really a good place to disclose such a major issue to the users.

First off, as paradox as it may sound, sticky threads like that Server Error Report Thread are simply ignored by the vast majority of users. A new user may look into some of them (But why should they look into that "Server Error Reports" sticky?), but after that there is rarely a reason to look into them. Most stickies in most forums do not change all that often, so this is an over many years learned behavior.
Additionally, the opening post of that thread relates to different issues. Originally it was meant to report on that common 502 Gateway time out error and similar errors. So, to be a pedant: That thread would not *really* be the proper place to post about this issue :p

And last, but not least: For new users, I would say, it is almost impossible to be aware of the issue.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 07:43:45 am »
Come on guys, it's the virus, haven't you heard of it or what? Bill Gates is already working on a Service Pack (vCCPWHORNAFU) to address the issue. Stay tuned!
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 12:12:46 am »
The thing is though, and I had a similar discussion in another forum recently, such a "bucket thread" is not really a good place to disclose such a major issue to the users.

First off, as paradox as it may sound, sticky threads like that Server Error Report Thread are simply ignored by the vast majority of users. A new user may look into some of them (But why should they look into that "Server Error Reports" sticky?), but after that there is rarely a reason to look into them. Most stickies in most forums do not change all that often, so this is an over many years learned behavior.
Additionally, the opening post of that thread relates to different issues. Originally it was meant to report on that common 502 Gateway time out error and similar errors. So, to be a pedant: That thread would not *really* be the proper place to post about this issue :p

And last, but not least: For new users, I would say, it is almost impossible to be aware of the issue.

I appreciate the civil discussion.

I think this problem could be considered to be within the purpose, especially as the thread evolved. But, regardless, reading your response, and re-reading your original post, I can see that you are making a different point - mainly that there should be some kind of widespread acknowledgement (beyond the server errors thread) of the problem - something of an obvious warning of sorts.

When I noticed the problem in my own posts I went to that thread after correcting the posts. The reason that I responded was to make sure that that you (and others reading the thread) knew that the issue was known and being worked on.

I am fine with however they want to handle it (especially considering that the admin is contributing his time). Not saying that you don't have a point, just saying that it goes beyond the reason that I responded to your original post.

edited: Removed some superfluous stuff.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:58:03 am by DrG »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf