Author Topic: Crazy the amount of swearing in this forum  (Read 9014 times)

Offline mikemoyTopic starter

Crazy the amount of swearing in this forum
« on: October 18, 2022, 01:13:47 pm »
First time last week checking out this forum, and it's sad to see the amount of swearing in here.
Swearing shows a lack of self-discipline. It also shows a lack of respect for other people - especially if they are strangers.
When did it become the norm for people to use such language because they can't think of a better word.  It's part of the reason this whole world is in the crapper.

Even worse when the moderator does not enforce the rules.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: Crazy the amount of swearing in this forum
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 01:26:09 pm »
  Dammed right!

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 01:35:43 pm »
It's a bit of everything.
Things showing a full lack of respect, laziness and zero fcks given:

- Not to use the search in first place, instead simply ask the same thing 184748 times. Use the damn search.

- Ask something, make people spend its time at you, and just disappear afterwards. At least show a little of gratitute  to your F** free helpers, how about thanks?

- Messages like "not compiling", "circuit not working", "what's this component", providing no code, no pictures, or a terrible fuzzy image. Take the same effort back.

Otherwise I f***ng swear the forum is actually a pretty nice place.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 01:39:24 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 02:02:26 pm »
First time last week checking out this forum, and it's sad to see the amount of swearing in here.
Swearing shows a lack of self-discipline. It also shows a lack of respect for other people - especially if they are strangers.
When did it become the norm for people to use such language because they can't think of a better word.  It's part of the reason this whole world is in the crapper.

The fact that the moderators do not have to step in very often shows that the members have a lot of self-discipline. I have been on this forum for over a year and a half now and I like it very much. Not like any other forums where people are at each others throats. Sure there is a bit of foul language now and then, but who gives a f___ when it is just a bit of harmless scuffle between some members. When it gets out of hand there is always another member who cools things down or calls in the cavalry >:D

And when you don't like it, there is no one forcing you to read it or even to join this forum.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 02:06:09 pm »

Seems pretty low to me. I don't mind swearing though, I do it all the time.  :)

As I recall from past days the SMF software allows the Admin to set up automatic substitutions for words to be "censored", so

shit

might appear as

s**t

something like that. Guess they like it the way it is.  ;D
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 02:06:38 pm »

why do you care, does it hurt your eyes to read a swear word?  and swearing has absolutely zero impact on the state of the world

what rule says you can't swear?

The following users thanked this post: David Aurora

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 02:08:20 pm »
... I don't mind swearing though, I do it all the time.  :)

:wtf: Only when something goes wrong :-DD

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2022, 02:11:53 pm »
... I don't mind swearing though, I do it all the time.  :)

:wtf: Only when something goes wrong :-DD

And for me - that's a lot of swearing!  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 02:26:27 pm »
the current generation graduates college without learning how to write business communications or common courtesy.

No Respect for others and lack of consideration and!or no basic hygiène is the rule.

I recieve serious notes opening with "hey Jon...."   

if you want assistance or feedback or want to buy/ sell, consider the other party.

Just the ramblings of an old retired EE

Jon

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: AlfBaz, maelh, chilternview

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2022, 03:18:02 pm »
Surely the OP is a SPAM BOT?

A total of 2 posts on this forum, recently joined.  Presumably the other post they made, is copied from another electronics forum's opening thread starter question, randomly picked up, by scanning the internet.

Anyway, what bad language?

I don't seem to be seeing much or any, very recently.

The following users thanked this post: AlfBaz, thm_w, CatalinaWOW

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 03:20:39 pm »
Please don't start talking like lawyers, I'll have to work twice as hard to compensate.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2022, 03:26:39 pm »

Look at the first couple of posts here for some examples :-DD

But you are right, it ain't bad and maybe it is a bot. Nobody was interested in responding to its other post.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 03:40:30 pm »
Did you seriously sign up here just to complain about swearing? I'm not aware of any rule against swearing, I try not to do it gratuitously but swearing has it's uses and you're the first one here I've seen complain about it. I have not noticed a particularly large amount of swearing here, certainly I hear more of it in day to day life than on this forum.

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2022, 04:17:55 pm »

Look at the first couple of posts here for some examples :-DD

But you are right, it ain't bad and maybe it is a bot. Nobody was interested in responding to its other post.

I didn't count any bad words in this thread, as any bad words, should already exist in the forum, otherwise their complaint(s), would be bogus.
But their opening post (OP), has contradiction(s).  If it was written by a significantly polite, and hence non-swearing person.  I suspect they wouldn't have used the RUDE/BAD word themselves, in that post.
I'm somewhat too polite to repeat or quote it here.  Hint: 'World is in ..' .
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 04:23:17 pm by MK14 »

The following users thanked this post: hexreader, pcprogrammer

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2022, 04:38:06 pm »
But their opening post (OP), has contradiction(s).  If it was written by a significantly polite, and hence non-swearing person.  I suspect they wouldn't have used the RUDE/BAD word themselves, in that post.
I'm somewhat too polite to repeat or quote it here.  Hint: 'World is in ..' .

Yeah, I had noticed that one too :palm:

But maybe that is a normal word where the OP comes from :-DD

It all depends on your upbringing on what you consider to be a swear word.

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2022, 05:59:05 pm »
 :wtf:

I don't usually swear and usually try to behave with proper respect etc. But swear words don't have some hidden magic meaning so that if you say them enough times, they will trigger a war or something, or the other person will fall dead. Language and words in themselves are just nonsense sounds if they don't have a will and meaning behind, such as a person with real intent and actions that will be taken. On the Internet, words tend to be overused or lose their meaning, because you can't see and hear the other person and decode his intentions from body language. In real life, I will probably become somewhat offended, sad or react in some way if a person swears _at_ me and there is some real meaning behind it. On the Internet? Come on  :palm:

And if you get offended by only reading some random words, not particularly aimed at you, I suggest to adjust your interpretation of those words, so that you get less offended, or not at all. This will make you a happier person.

The following users thanked this post: maelh

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2022, 06:12:53 pm »

This is the norm in the US.

I generally tend to write informally unless I'm writing a nastygram or a letter to an authority. For peers, business partners, etc it's always "Hi X."

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2022, 07:49:10 pm »

This is the norm in the US.

I generally tend to write informally unless I'm writing a nastygram or a letter to an authority. For peers, business partners, etc it's always "Hi X."

Yes this is the normal way people communicate in the companies I've worked for in my career. Anything more formal than that is reserved for upper management, lawyers and the like and using it in general business communication would be like wearing a tuxedo to the grocery store.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2022, 07:50:26 pm »

The following users thanked this post: KE5FX

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2022, 08:20:08 pm »
Actually, engineers have to swear when working with trademen. Especially in rougher industries.
It's like a tribal code, if you don't swear then that's proof you are an office dweller, pencil pusher, dork and the tradesmen will fuck with you for fun - i.e. tease/hazing/razz and i.e. do wiring wrong as you "vaguely specified" for another laugh. It's part of the white/blue collar battle, experienced every time I'm out in the field.
But switching it off when in the office, one company I worked for saying the word "shit" caused a female engineer to cry reeeee. My manager/HR wrote me up for using the word :-DD

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2022, 08:21:03 pm »

We have better things to do than filter the internet for a few harmless swear words. In many cultures, curse words are actually used in both a positive and negative context, or to emphasise a point, rather than to cause offence. It's all about context. In law enforcement "pretty please can you get into these handcuffs" just doesn't cut it (I know that's an extreme example, but my point is scalable).

I really couldn't give a shit if people swear or not, as long as it's not malicious and being abusive towards others.

Everyone has different standards, such is life.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, langwadt

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2022, 09:47:38 pm »

What Halcyon said.
If someone was swearing like a drunken sailor in every single post then we might take some action, but otherwise this forum is pretty tame when it comes to that.
The number of moderator reports for just swearing I could probably count on the one hand over the last decade.
Perhaps you'd like to link to the worst examples instead of just making a blanket statement?

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2022, 10:18:26 pm »
I'm a potty mouth from way back. I particularly enjoy profanity when used creatively.

I've noticed over the past couple of years, fewer people are holding back. The sudden F bomb isn't as surprising as the fact that the person finally said it.
iratus parum formica

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2022, 10:31:30 pm »
one company I worked for saying the word "shit" caused a female engineer to cry reeeee.
Let me guess, cheap glass department?
I can't handle that type of people, reacting like baby tasting lemon for their very first time, or accidentally entering the wrong hole in the night :-DD, OMG this,OMG that, cardboard mental strength.
Sorry for their partners, must be terrible to not be able to be human and just have a bad day.
Had a girl like that, couldn't take my 20 minutes relaxing after a tought day, so I had no right to feel tired, "work stuff keeps at work", ok could...could you just let me watch some shit and laugh for 10 minutes to relax? So I can forget all that terrible swearing I saw on a Forum?  :-DD
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 10:33:28 pm by DavidAlfa »

The following users thanked this post: maelh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf