Author Topic: Dangerous link  (Read 6662 times)

Online jpanhaltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Dangerous link
« on: October 11, 2023, 11:26:37 am »
I posted in the open hardware software  subforum.  Now that link gets a bright red warning by Google and will not let me see it:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/oshw/pax-instruments-t400-thermocouple-temperature-datalogger/

I cannot even post a snipped image of the error.

Is there anything that can be done to recover the contents of my posts in that thread?  Even a screen print  to Photoshop image is blocked.

Edit2: I took a photograph of the screen, downloaded to Photoshop and saved as jpg.  When I try to up load I get the same "invalid_filename" error.  What gives? 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 11:48:29 am by jpanhalt »

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Dangerous link
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 11:48:07 am »
Not sure what you are referring to, but there is some server maintenance happening today which is affecting attachments.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/website-error-reports/msg5107185/#msg5107185

The following users thanked this post: MK14, Dan123456

Offline Dan123456

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 12:00:12 pm »
I was getting the same thing and a few other error messages earlier but as Kean said, was just due to the forum guys doing maintenance  :)

All in all, don’t stress! All is good and hopefully attachments will be working again soon  :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 12:00:45 pm »
The first evidence I had of that problem was a couple of days ago when I wanted to access the link to recover one of the photos in my post.  I didn't decide to post the question until this morning. 

Posting snippets had not been a problem before. Just tested a snippet and got the invalid filename error.  So, that issue may be related to the server.

The problem with the link per se still exists and existed before today.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 12:02:32 pm by jpanhalt »

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 12:04:41 pm »
What link?  If you can't post an image due to the attachment maintenance happening right now, you could use a few more words to help describe the actual problem.

I see you posted two replies to that thread, one with a link to another EEVBlog thread, and one to an AliExpress page.. Both work for me.

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 12:07:49 pm »
Just to be clear, all links to download attachments are currently giving 404 - Attachment not found.  Posting new attachment is also probably broken.
This will all hopefully come good once the server maintenance is done.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 12:13:19 pm »
I never intended to post a link to aliexpress.  I rarely go there.  Maybe that link is related to the server maintenance.  The problematic post is this one:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/oshw/pax-instruments-t400-thermocouple-temperature-datalogger/

It was a thread started by Charles Pax for a temperature logger he made and sold via Adafruit and others.  I was using the really nice enclosure he designed and had made for a project of mine -- a predictive roast thermometer.  He generously provided a few other enclosures so I could send copies of my project to family members.*  At his encouragement, I posted all of the code and a series of pictures.

*As an aside, it was used at a family gathering for my 80th birthday earlier this year and was a hit.  I have a few more enhancements to add.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 12:22:27 pm »
Google will not let me see it

Is there anything that can be done
Stop being slave to Silicon Valley shitheads.

Get away from Android. Get away from Chrome. This thread loads just fine for me.

It is currently impossible to view attachments due to ongoing server maintenance, but gnif promises that it will be over at some unspecified time in the future ;)

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 12:23:08 pm »
So you cannot even view the thread?  It shows fine for me apart from attachments.  Maybe try viewing in another web browser.

Aha, I just tried in Chrome (normally use Firefox) and I get the red warning from Google when I try to view page 2.  It appears that paxinstruments domain name may now be untrusted.
You can bypass the warning in Chrome, and just be really careful about what links you click.  Mind you paxinstruments dot com domain name doesn't even seem to exist anymore...

I also have some of the PAX Instruments enclosures.  :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 12:36:47 pm »
@Kean
Maybe it will clear up or an administrator can remove that link so the rest of the thread can be accessed.

As for the enclosures, I searched every source I could find for something that came even close.  Nothing had the convenient size, button placement, and battery compartment like his design.  Prismatic lithium batteries are used everywhere, yet none of the names I contacted sold an enclosure with a built-in compartment for them.   Adding a few contacts makes them perfect.  Maybe when the attachment/dangerous-link issue is resolved, I will add a picture and link to the contacts I used for my battery PCB connection.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 12:47:07 pm »
Maybe it will clear up or an administrator can remove that link so the rest of the thread can be accessed.

I suggest to remove chrome and use Firefox instead...

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, msliva, Gyro, magic

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 12:49:11 pm »
Also using Chrome, it's fine here.
The red warning error comes when opening the paxinstruments link from the 1st post.
Edit: Ouch, it also does it when accessing page 2.
No worries, click on Details, then at the bottom left you have a link with something "Visit unsafe site". That will allow access.

Anyways, here're your messages and attachments:

I realize this thread is old.  Charles Pax has kindly helped me out with finding a project box for my "Smart Roast" and asked that I post some pictures of how I repurposed the T400 box.  (See related thread here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/finding-a-project-box/new/#new   )  This project is/will be open source.  Code is MPASM.  I just have not had time yet to get that documentation cleaned up, but I will add it here.

My project used a PIC16F1789 and MAX31856 TC amplifier.  The rest is pretty standard support stuff.  I went with an Omega TC socket, and it was just a tiny bit too high to fit under the LCD that snaps into the board.  That was solved by making a slot in the board and effectively mounting it upside down on the bottom surface.  See attachment. 

The thing is, of course, a roast thermometer.  I added a clock for total time, a calculation of rate for internal temperature, and a calculation of finish time based on user input of desired final temperature.  With beef roast or pork and an oven temperature well above the target temperature (e.g., 325°F vs. 125°F/160°F) that rise in temperature was fairly linear shortly after internal temperature starts to rise.  I had noticed that linearity for years and used to do the calculation by hand.  I could never convince my children to keep such records, so I made this project for them.  I now like it too.

The case back panel is currently left open for access to the programming pins.  Once that is "done," it will be closed.  The other attachments are for the TC (type K) and battery charging/power (USB).  For the first prototype, I decided not to include on-board charging and have left the battery unattached.  Nevertheless, I have included a picture of the T400 battery compartment, which I really liked.

PCB back shows detail of how the TC socket is attached.
PCB w.LCD shows detail of how the LCD mounts to the PCB.
MAX31856  shows the top attachment of the TC socket.  I used cyanoacrylate adhesive to fixture the socket to the PCB strap on the backside.  It seems quite rugged.
PCB top is the whole board with the LCD flipped forward.
The final photos is just the PIC1789 for those who like to see the MCU.

I extend my sincere public thanks to Charles Pax.  Without the T400 case, getting this gadget to look so neat may not have happened.

Regards, John
Case front_0110.jpg
Case back w_batt.jpg
Case panel_0107.jpg
PCB back_0111.jpg
PCB w.LCD_0112.jpg
MAX31856_0120.jpg
PCB top_0114.jpg
PIC16F1789_0116.jpg

Penultimate SmartRoast Prototype (maybe)

I have mentioned my "SmartRoast" project in other threads.  At the suggestion of Charles Pax (see my previous post), I decided to post more detail here.  It's a roast thermometer that calculates a finish time from the user entered target temperature.  It does not predict temperature rise after removal from the oven.  The basic project was working within one Winter.  I then spent the next 4 years working on the graphical display, PCB, and perseverating about when to do my very first reflow soldering (done 2022).  Other projects were also done during that time.  My original PCB design included a BMS for a LiPo battery; however, that was deleted at the last minute as I became worried about heat and keeping the project simple for my first reflow attempt.  It runs on a 5V wall wart with a miniature USB plug. 

Changes anticipated or being considered for the next version: 1) On board BMS with a USB-C connector (definite); 2) Selection of meat type; 3) An initial calculation based on size and weight of the roast;  4) Change the MCU chip; 5) Change the TC amplifier and/or better noise filtering; and 6) Possible but less likely a change in the display.

Attached are the schematic and board design submitted to OshPark, Assembly code, some flowcharts that may help a reader find their way through the spaghetti "logic," and a link to the LCD that was used.

Comments:
1)  Coding is in Microchip Assembly and MPLab 8.92 tool suite.  It may not appear in text or assemble properly with the current assembler in MPLAB X IDE.
2)  RE: TC amplifier (MAX 31856).  That chip is sensitive to noise on the TC leads and can freeze up.  If that happens, turn device off, wait a few minutes, and restart.  I found that wrapping the TC leads through a ferrite filter/toroid helps.  The toroid is shown in some of the pictures.
3)  Flowcharts were done originally in draw.io which is now diagrams.net .  I continue to use the draw.io version.  The Histogram flowchart has not been updated in quite awhile and should be considered a rough draft.
4)  The LCD is not shown in the BOM.  It was obtained via AliExpress from Laurellcd.  It is described as: 13264 COG ST7567 lcd display graphic module SPI Serial 12pin FSTN gray with bright backlight serial module LG132643-FDW .  Note the FFC comes/came in 2 pitches.  The prototype has the narrower pitch.  The plastic legs snap into oval slots on the PCB
Link: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832625066546.html?

User's Manual:
GUI
The switches are numbered top to bottom and left to right.  Upper left is SW1; lowest left is SW3.
During POR
SW1 = Run
SW2 = Menu select
SW3 = Power on/off
SW4 = Increase in Done temp
SW5 = Decrease in Done temp
SW6 = Inactive (not implemented)

During Run
SW1 = Clears screen and timer (settings unchanged from POR)
SW2 = Backlight on/off toggle
SW3 = Power on/off
SW4 = Command scroll up
SW5 = Command scroll down
SW6 = Inactive (not implemented)

Regards, John
MAX31856 16F1789 050123 PUBLIC .asm
PCB Schematic BOM.zip
Flowcharts.zip
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 07:33:57 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 12:50:00 pm »
The whole thread can be accessed.
You are using a broken browser, that's you problem.

You could even edit the post yourself and remove whatever you want from it, using a normal browser.

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2023, 01:32:42 pm »
There are some embedded images on posts in page 2 of the thread that (attempt to) load directly from paxinstruments dot com.

Firefox silently blocks them for phishing (visible warnings only in dev tools) but Chrome just blocks the whole web page... for your safety I guess?

Firefox does show a big red warning page if visiting the site itself, but is a bit more friendly when it comes to embedded images on other sites and just blocks them.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2023, 07:34:15 pm »
Attachments are working again  ;)
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2023, 07:42:27 pm »
I removed the links from my posts, but still get the red screen warning when clicking on the thread link. Maybe its a cookie.  I will keep playing with it.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2023, 07:47:00 pm »
Well, you can get your files back now, that was it?
Try clearing the browser cache (history / cookies shouldn't be needed)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2023, 08:42:31 pm »
Hi David,

Yes, I have access to those files and just may link here instead of to the original in the future.  Thank you again for that help.  However, I have already given that link for EEVBlog to others, and it would be nice to know it works.  I did report it as a false alarm and will wait a few days to see what happens.

Regards, John

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2023, 09:31:17 pm »
I'm running Chrome and don't see any issues with that thread. The paxinstruments.com links are broken however, since DNS cannot resolve the domain. I looked up the domain and it's registered with an expiration of next year, but it's privately registered which could mean a squatter snatched it up when it expired and are just holding it for someone to buy it from them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf