Author Topic: EEVblog Logo Contest  (Read 49157 times)

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EEVblog Logo Contest
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 08:38:26 am »
I got curious about vector graphics, so I went playing. :)

Oddly enough Firefox won't render this off of the attachment, I have to download it and open it with Firefox manually.  ???

At least it scales well *shrug*. Graphic art is weird. I'm going back to my cave now, where things make more sense.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:42:13 am by DJPhil »

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 09:01:01 am »
Here's one idea I had. Your brief was pretty vague so I didn't limit myself to just a vector image, but one could be made if you can provide me with the original scans of your "negative feedback" drawing. This can be made to work in grayscale as well as color, can be reversed (white background) and can be adapted as an icon/button. Let me know what you think.

Edit to add: I didn't match text colors to logo colors for this mockup to save time.

LOL, I do like the opamp circuit one, but because of the font used it reminds me of the TV series "Underbelly"

"Exploring the dirty depths of electronics centered about the influnence of Dave Jones from the years 2009 onwards"  ;D  

When does the DVD come out?  ;)

(edited 2010 to 2009 - we are all aging far too quickly  :'( )
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:04:36 am by RayJones »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 10:20:14 am »
Oddly enough Firefox won't render this off of the attachment, I have to download it and open it with Firefox manually.  ???
vector graphic is not for display, its more like raw data... need to post process for production, printing? display? or even as stock material. convert to downscaled raster graphic first (jpg) just for the display, and attach the original vectorized graphic for download.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

alm

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 11:03:28 am »
Sure it is, technologies like SVG, Flash, PDF, Quartz/GDI all use vector graphics, and are for display. It's just that SVG implementations in web browsers aren't that mature yet, at some sites may not send the correct content-type. On the web, Flash is the only widely-deployed technology to display vector graphics, and I wouldn't recommend requiring flash just for a simple logo, so you're stuck to raster images until SVG is more widely available. But many of the graphics you see in modern UI's are all vector, including icons.

alm

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 09:40:01 pm »
Yep, all support vector graphics like draw a solid red line width 3 from (10,5) to (75,1).

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 10:59:07 pm »
Sure it is, technologies like SVG, Flash, PDF, Quartz/GDI all use vector graphics, and are for display. It's just that SVG implementations in web browsers aren't that mature yet, at some sites may not send the correct content-type. On the web, Flash is the only widely-deployed technology to display vector graphics, and I wouldn't recommend requiring flash just for a simple logo, so you're stuck to raster images until SVG is more widely available. But many of the graphics you see in modern UI's are all vector, including icons.
I thought all modern browsers support SVG now. Although I don't see any reason to use SVG as opposed to PNG.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

alm

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 11:15:31 pm »
Does IE support SVG yet? I believe Firefox's support is still a bit half-assed (do they support img src=foo.svg?), but most other modern browsers should be pretty good by now.

The major advantage of vector formats like SVG is that they're scalable, instead of being limited to the pixel size on the user's screen with raster images like PNG. It's also much more compact in many cases. Raster images make sense for images that were acquired using a sampling system (eg. digital camera or scanner), but are poor for things like icons and logos (not to mention text because of the poor support for custom fonts on the web).

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 02:35:33 am »
Does IE support SVG yet?

I remember from Inkscape's FAQ that IE6 had problems, but IE7 should be ok. Incorrect. This describes PNG transparency support. Brainfart on my part.  :-[

If you'd like to tinker with SVG I'd recommend Inkscape, it's sort of the Gimp of vector graphics. The logo I made can be rendered to any size without distortion and saved as a PNG, but it's not very friendly about export though (transparency problems).

Edit: Forgot to add link to Inkscape for easy access.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:39:35 am by DJPhil »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 03:18:03 am »
Some logos from Jon harsem.

Dave.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 04:04:04 am »
Here is a rather lame mockup of Jan's logo which I like superimposed onto my head!

Dave.

alm

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 04:05:22 am »
I remember from Inkscape's FAQ that IE6 had problems, but IE7 should be ok.
You're probably confused with PNG. IE6's PNG support sucked, and they fixed that in IE7. IE8 still doesn't support SVG as far as I know. IE9 might support at least some of it, but is not released yet.

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 04:42:24 am »
I remember from Inkscape's FAQ that IE6 had problems, but IE7 should be ok.
You're probably confused with PNG. IE6's PNG support sucked, and they fixed that in IE7. IE8 still doesn't support SVG as far as I know. IE9 might support at least some of it, but is not released yet.

Exactly right, my apologies.  :-[

The phrase described support in IE for background transparency in PNG images. I've corrected the above post. I wish I could upgrade my memory, it keeps getting me into trouble!

Good catch. :)

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 10:26:20 pm »
Same theme as a previous entry. I post it not because I think I did a good job, but because I think it is an indication of what not to do  - hence the tiny thumbnail!

However, I think the whole 7-segment thing may be a bit too overused nowadays. But how to generate a relevant logo without it being a cliché? This is the one I produced for my own site, incorporating a (obviously fake) PCB but keeping it clear and hopefully relatively original. There is a monochrome version for letterheads and print etc. I really like the idea of incorporating something iconic, but not overdoing it.

http://www.digital-wizardry.co.uk/dw1.png

I like the idea of the screwdriver and ( to an extent) the multimeter though. Something like this, only using Dave's Fluke not mine. You can burn the background to white with a decent light source instead of some cheap halogens I have in here:

7-segment (okay, actually 14-segment) style displays really need to be coloured to work, a grey-on-grey LCD are a bit too, er, grey. Unfortunately coloured LEDs only really work against a dark background. Which would mean changing the entire colour scheme, and black web site backgrounds are very 1990s. I did a version of the meter and screwdriver horizontal, but they took up even more screen real estate, for a small logo. I might try superimposing a simple text logo where the Fluke logo is, and where the Draper logo is on the screwdriver, see if they look better solo. Just playing really, nice to faff about with something different for a change!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 11:01:50 pm »
That screwdriver and meter are terrific!
Not logo material, but very cool.
Possible intro video stuff perhaps.

Dave.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 02:41:23 am »
my 1st shoot. just an idea
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:26 am »
I like it!
These are much better than I could ever come up with.
They'll all go into the hat to chose the final logo.

Thanks.
Dave.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 04:11:20 am »
I like that one Shafri, it kinda has the feel of a 1950s fantasy / space / atomic / horror film about it.  It could almost be from a book called "Mysterious Adventures in Electricity!" or something. Clear and concise too.

Offline jharsem

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 05:35:19 am »
Okdokey - Part 2

The "Dave" collection =) ..

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 11:49:08 am »
I like that one Shafri, it kinda has the feel of a 1950s fantasy / space / atomic / horror film about it.  It could almost be from a book called "Mysterious Adventures in Electricity!" or something. Clear and concise too.
@EEVBlog & Zad: thanx. while playing around with the -ve feedback op-amp, i got surprised that accidentally it match the positioning. ie Vi comes from the probes, the -ve comes from the blog, and the resultant Vo is the Dave himself! so its kinda like:

DMM (test equipment) + blog = Dave :D

but maybe the Dave's figure is not the best there, maybe should be another (more cheerful but pro looking etc) face impression.
and the font as well, i cannot find the font that i really satisfy in my pc/library/stock.
the probe... i just kinda like 5 minute sketch it, i could photograph the real probe and convert to B&W.
the EE alphabets, i would loved if the wires comes out of the probes will be curled to form the EE letter.
not really like the cartoon like look. should looks more pro with less curvy... more like the jharsem font design.

so much improvement to be made, as i said... just an idea for another better logo.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:56:39 am by shafri »

Offline eevbloglogo

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 01:14:45 pm »
Hi,

Offline ddrl46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2010, 02:59:40 pm »

I tried.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:03:20 pm by ddrl46 »

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2010, 03:09:07 pm »
-Time

Offline ddrl46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2010, 03:10:04 pm »
You know what i mean. Dave hates <guess>.

Offline eevbloglogo

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 04:18:03 pm »
A little different

Offline MyZirconia

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 09:41:49 pm »
Hey guys dont forget the flying pig... ;D

Very nice logos by the way all of them :)

//Magnus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf