Author Topic: Expanding - Hopefully  (Read 29621 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Expanding - Hopefully
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2021, 01:40:40 am »
I'd imagine there would be plenty of spare pairs in those multicore phone cables running down to the MDF room

I only have 12 or so spare pairs in my lab.
So if they come out in the MDF room, that saves the hardest part of the cable run, through those full-up floor holes.

It's way better than that.
There is already CAT5 cable trucks from the basement MDF to the floor patch panel.
AND I forgot that I already had a unterminated CAT5E running from my office to somewhere down the corridor, almost certainly the comms cupboard, but I've never actually followed it. A viewer emailed me saying that every office should have one given what looks like CAT 5 trunks, and sure enough, he's right.

I looked in the comms record book but could not find any record of the (unterminated) CAT5E cable going back from my office. Just my old VDSL line and old phone line.
So looks like I have at the very least already got CAT5 down to the basement MDF (about 35m). So could either just extend that from the basement MDF to the storage room, or put in or use an existing if available ethernet switch.
So likely just have to pay for the cable run from the basement MDF to the storage room and patching.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:48:39 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2021, 01:45:12 am »
As suggested before, have a look at fiber optical connections. It's more affordable than you think.
You could for example use 2x media converter (RJ45<->SFP Cage) + 2x SFP(+) module, + fiber cable.

No need when there is already CAT5 cable trunks running to the basement MDF. See my previous post.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2021, 12:31:22 pm »
So looks like I have at the very least already got CAT5 down to the basement MDF (about 35m). So could either just extend that from the basement MDF to the storage room, or put in or use an existing if available ethernet switch.
So likely just have to pay for the cable run from the basement MDF to the storage room and patching.

Sounds like things just got a lot easier!

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2021, 09:52:46 pm »
Sounds good. 70m to 80m will probably work fine, with a bit of luck close to Gigabit speeds if it's a decent Cat-rated cable. Alternatively you could ask/see if a switch is available in the MDF room to buffer the signal.

Small anecdote on ethernet runs: I used to work at an agriculture company that was located on a farm. Only ADSL was available at that location, so we needed a proper alternative for the business internet. Luckily, it was the first farm out of town, so we ran a 250m-ish long ethernet line through the farm field to some pensioner living in the nearby street. There was a IP67 junction box halfway with a switch to buffer the signal. That run was good enough to reach the speeds of the 300Mbps cable plan.
That setup worked fine for years... only exception was when thunder struck at one point and the ethernet ports on all the connected equipment was killed... However, since the alternative was 2Mbps ADSL, that was only a slight inconvenience.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2021, 08:58:03 pm »
I have lost count of Mr Carlson's labs, I think this is lab 4 and he says be is starting to work on another...
TEA is strong in this one:
https://youtu.be/35w8iVYy-6c

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2021, 04:21:49 am »
I don't think I can see Dave going THAT far down that rabbit hole.

Besides, he doesn't have the voice for it.   ;D   (For which I am eternally grateful!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf