Author Topic: Funky forum layout  (Read 6748 times)

Offline infoTopic starter

• Contributor
Funky forum layout
« on: March 19, 2023, 10:50:09 pm »
Hi all,
I recently got a new 34 inch display and I'm noticing some interesting bits on the forum layout. For example, the top bar is split in two and there is a line visible on the page (see attached screenshot).SS1742687-0 This is not really a bug but rather a cosmetic issue. Would be nice to have it fixed without any priority whatsoever. I'm using chromium on Linux if that's relevant.

Kind regards

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
Re: Funky forum layout
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 06:27:29 am »
Did you take a look at the html source?

It looks like some table divider, and maybe comes in on very high res monitors.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:34:19 am »
Why would you make a browser window so wide? Newspapers and books are designed so the lines are no wider than the span your eyes can cover in their central vision without turning your head at typical reading distances. Even on my smaller 4k monitor I usually have two browser widows side by side.

I guess the forum should have a maximum width like many websites do. But you can easily work around this by not making the browser window so ridiculously wide ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 09:35:58 am by alm »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 09:43:49 am »
I'm more impressed that you can read paragraphs across a maximized window; that's challenging readability.

But yeah, that's a little glitchy thing that shows up for browser widths over, what, 2100px or so I think it is?  Assuming other defaults and scaling of course.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 10:53:26 am »
This was reported quite a while back and I already provided the solution, it's a style issue and can also be corrected by making a wider resolution image file. Note that style/theme seems to have moved since then.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/eevblog-forum-site-have-a-bug-with-high-resolution-monitor/msg2552526/#msg2552526
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 11:11:23 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 07:37:12 pm »
Why would you make a browser window so wide? Newspapers and books are designed so the lines are no wider than the span your eyes can cover in their central vision without turning your head at typical reading distances. Even on my smaller 4k monitor I usually have two browser widows side by side.

I guess the forum should have a maximum width like many websites do. But you can easily work around this by not making the browser window so ridiculously wide ;)
Well as with any new toy, why wouldn't I want to enjoy the full bliss of eevblog on a moderately large screen? Jokes aside, I noticed this only when resizing the window browsing this forum. As I said, not a complaint or bug

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 07:38:32 pm »
This was reported quite a while back and I already provided the solution, it's a style issue and can also be corrected by making a wider resolution image file. Note that style/theme seems to have moved since then.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/eevblog-forum-site-have-a-bug-with-high-resolution-monitor/msg2552526/#msg2552526

This is the answer I was hoping for. I'm not the only one who has hit the high-res issue. Once again, not complaining, just pointing out

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf