Author Topic: [Solved] Help in splitting thread into two  (Read 3410 times)

Offline oliv3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
[Solved] Help in splitting thread into two
« on: January 26, 2024, 10:15:52 am »
Dear admin/dave.

Our thread got a bit derailed (my fault-ish) and would like to split this forum post (and everything after it) into its own thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/low-cost-logic-analyzer-probe-for-rigol-mso5000-easyeda-project/msg5097933/#msg5097933

Should be possible with SMF as far as I understand, but only you have the power?

https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/software/smf/split-topics/

People are getting upset for hijacking their precious thread and I don't want to loose the history of what was discussed :)

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 03:19:29 pm by oliv3r »

The following users thanked this post: S. Petrukhin

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Help in splitting topic
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 10:39:08 am »
Would it be better if you started a new topic (or topics) containing a summary of what you have learned from the existing topic?

You could include pointers from the various topics to the others, so that the all-important context isn't lost.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
Re: Help in splitting thread into two
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 02:27:55 pm »
While that's extra work, it certainly is an option! But if a mod can click the 'split' button; that'd be much less work :)

Also, 'hijacking' a thread is an unintended thing; and once it has happened, and there's more posts about the hijacked content ... well who knows :p
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 02:29:43 pm by oliv3r »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 10:37:27 pm »
The problem is the mod has to go through and figure out which posts are and aren't related to yours.

Honestly not too sure why you posted in there as your option is not low cost, we had another thread with various high-spec LMH7324 designs (ribbon, usbc, some others).
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 04:31:41 pm »
The problem is the mod has to go through and figure out which posts are and aren't related to yours.
Sure, except in this case, no. There was a very clean 'break' when the topic was hijacked :) All conversation (except some mud-throwing) was all ontopic since! So doing the split can be done very cleanly. Leave the mudslinging as is, no problem.

Honestly not too sure why you posted in there as your option is not low cost, we had another thread with various high-spec LMH7324 designs (ribbon, usbc, some others).
Not sure this is the right place to discuss content :p But I'll bite anyway.

What makes you say the option is not low cost? Lets exclude the cost of the raw PCB, as you can get 10x10 4 layers for €2,- from pcbway. So the chips are expensive? There's an OPTION for LMH7324, an OPTION for LMH7322 and an OPTION for SNV65. You don't HAVE to get all of them, and the SNV65 option certainly is cheap. So then the only 'costly' thing would be the HDMI connectors, which was just the entire point of the excersize. So cost-wise, I argue they are about equally 'cheap' and deff. low-cost compared to the original.

Yes, there's a ribbon variant, a USB-C variant, and now a HDMI variant. The other variants where inspiration and credited the authors.

Regardless, I'd love to have a thread where we can continue this conversation :)

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 04:56:16 pm »
Sure, except in this case, no. There was a very clean 'break' when the topic was hijacked :) All conversation (except some mud-throwing) was all ontopic since! So doing the split can be done very cleanly. Leave the mudslinging as is, no problem.

What makes you say the option is not low cost? Lets exclude the cost of the raw PCB, as you can get 10x10 4 layers for €2,- from pcbway. So the chips are expensive? There's an OPTION for LMH7324, an OPTION for LMH7322 and an OPTION for SNV65. You don't HAVE to get all of them, and the SNV65 option certainly is cheap. So then the only 'costly' thing would be the HDMI connectors, which was just the entire point of the excersize. So cost-wise, I argue they are about equally 'cheap' and deff. low-cost compared to the original.

Yes, there's a ribbon variant, a USB-C variant, and now a HDMI variant. The other variants where inspiration and credited the authors.

Regardless, I'd love to have a thread where we can continue this conversation :)

JLCPCB assemble has HDMI connectors for less than $0.10 ...

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 07:25:34 pm »
Sorry, can't deal with that mess, it's a huge thread. As a general rule if a thread with more than 10 pages has not shifted to a new topic then the earth must have stopped spinning.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tggzzz, abeyer

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 10:45:51 pm »

OK I just saw LMH7324 on the silk and assumed thats all it was, if there are other options then honestly it seems like a good design and not really an issue left in that thread.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 11:06:04 pm »
Sorry, can't deal with that mess, it's a huge thread. As a general rule if a thread with more than 10 pages has not shifted to a new topic then the earth must have stopped spinning.

Yep, sorry, it's just not practical to deal with a thread that has half a dozen pages of posts after the one you want to split. There is bond to be lots of posts in that group that refet to the orignal topic.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 12:05:22 pm »
Yep, sorry, it's just not practical to deal with a thread that has half a dozen pages of posts after the one you want to split. There is bond to be lots of posts in that group that refet to the orignal topic.

But, as stated by oliv3r yesterday, that does not seem to apply in this case. Discussion on the original probe design which had been presented in that thread had gone quiet, and after oliv3r presented his variation, all subsequent discussion circled around that. (Plus some complaints about that new discussion being off-topic, which could be moved as well to keep things simple.)

So everything from reply #147 onwards (the one linked in oliv3r's top post above) could be moved into the new thread.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 12:40:18 am »
So everything from reply #147 onwards (the one linked in oliv3r's top post above) could be moved into the new thread.

Fine, I'll take your word for it. Split:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/another-low-cost-la-probe-for-rigol-mso5000-by-oliv3r/

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2024, 03:15:43 pm »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/another-low-cost-la-probe-for-rigol-mso5000-by-oliv3r/
Thank you Dave!!  :-*

Feel free to lock this topic :)

JLCPCB assemble has HDMI connectors for less than $0.10 ...
I got slightly more expensive variants selected, but indeed. Though Happy to do this in my new thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/another-low-cost-la-probe-for-rigol-mso5000-by-oliv3r :D

OK I just saw LMH7324 on the silk and assumed thats all it was, if there are other options then honestly it seems like a good design and not really an issue left in that thread.

Look at the pics, I've put them in the starting post of my new thread :p
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 03:20:48 pm by oliv3r »

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2024, 07:34:10 pm »

Everything turned out very well.  :)
And sorry for my English.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf