Author Topic: How about a component review segment?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline thomastheoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How about a component review segment?
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:30:27 pm »
Hi!

I'm a big fan of the blog, and all the teardowns, reviews, fundamentals, and general discussion vids. I was wondering though, seeing as a large part of being in the business is keeping on top of everything that's out there, why not a segment on parts, as in 'interesting components'. There are so many interesting things available these days, it must be possible to hold the attention of your viewers by delving into this area more, as opposed to only looking at finished products. Sensors in particular hold my interest (who doesn't like sensors), but from the niche special function chips to the advances in more general purpose parts, there is a lot of industry ingenuity and innovation to showcase here. As an added mention, the plethora of modules available for use today could also make for interesting topics. They are incredibly popular with the maker community, and are generally quite affordable, accessible and useful.

Cheers and thanks for the great content,

Th.

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How about a component review segment?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 09:03:04 pm »
I agree that there are lots of interesting components on the market right now. I disagree about "new and innovative" - most of it is just an old designs, sometimes 40-50 y old designs repackaged to look like new idea. Exciting part is that some new manufacturing technologies made them much cheaper so anyone can buy them.

Sensors are exciting, but also very hard to give objective, useful review due to amount and complexity of math and physics and expensive equipment that have to be involved in such review. Another problem is that all interesting industrial sensors are still very expensive, so you will end up showing sensors made in 1980s that you can get on Ebay. Not exactly new new new exciting stuff.

In other words if it is new it is hard to attain and review if it is attainable - it is already old, seen before stuff  :=\ - that is always the problem.

Offline thomastheoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: How about a component review segment?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 09:38:26 pm »
I beg to differ, and even if were all just rehashed tech, just because i've tasted beef once doesn't mean I can't still be surprised by a new dish cooked up including beef as an ingredient. I don't see any evidence that innovation is stagnating, quite the opposite in fact. But that's not really what I meant to suggest. There's plenty out there that still surprises in one way or another, and I would personally like to see such things on the blog.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf