Author Topic: How to "mention" someone?  (Read 3224 times)

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How to "mention" someone?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2024, 08:06:48 pm »
@ebastler have you tried creating a new account and trying to use mention with it ? Just to see if something is wrong with your account.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2024, 08:27:41 pm »
@metebalci

edit
This does nothing. Maybe it only works on accounts created since 2020?
Or did you copy the [member] tag manually like I did before?

Offline ebastlerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2024, 08:30:36 pm »
Yes, I've been wondering whether this only got activated for accounts that were created a bit more recently. (After the "mention" plugin had been installed here maybe?) When magic tried it in this thread it did not work for him either, and I see a similar comment in the ealier "tagging" thread iMo had pointed towards.

I have not been desparate enough to create a new account just for this ;)  -- especially since duplicate accounts are frowned upon here. Maybe a moderator or admin will stop by here at some point and can shed some light onto this.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2024, 08:41:21 pm »
Yes, I've been wondering whether this only got activated for accounts that were created a bit more recently. (After the "mention" plugin had been installed here maybe?) When magic tried it in this thread it did not work for him either, and I see a similar comment in the ealier "tagging" thread iMo had pointed towards.

I have not been desparate enough to create a new account just for this ;)  -- especially since duplicate accounts are frowned upon here. Maybe a moderator or admin will stop by here at some point and can shed some light onto this.

You could always thrust this into their faces by mentioning them, PM, or reporting your own message ;)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2024, 07:06:36 am »
@metebalci

edit
This does nothing. Maybe it only works on accounts created since 2020?
Or did you copy the [member] tag manually like I did before?

No I only use the at symbol when writing the message for the first time and it works. This works even if I quote a message, a non working at mention becomes a link (tested on PC). I am writing this on mobile with the limited interface, so if your mention of me becomes a link now then it also works on the limited interface also.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2024, 07:30:33 am »
Yep, that quote also has a proper, active "mention" now. So it's not depending on the client used, but on some account setting, whether one can mention via the @prefix.

For those accounts where it does not work, it seems that even typing out the [member] tags does not create a working mention, i.e. the mentioned user does not get an indication of the mention in their profile? 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 07:38:22 am by ebastler »

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2024, 11:18:10 am »
I think in SMF 2.0.x, mentions do not work if the username contains a space or special characters.

Lemme test: @Nominal Animal @"Nominal Animal"
And just to annoy ebastler: @ebastler

Nope, neither turned into a link.

I think Dave installed a mod for supporting mentions using the @username format, then removed or disabled it; and it happens to remain functional for some subset of users.

That said, I don't think I like mentions.  Thanks is as much gamification as I can tolerate, adding mentions goes a bit too far for my taste.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 11:24:39 am by Nominal Animal »

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2024, 12:39:57 pm »
I think in SMF 2.0.x, mentions do not work if the username contains a space or special characters.

Lemme test: @Nominal Animal @"Nominal Animal"
And just to annoy ebastler: @ebastler

Nope, neither turned into a link.

I think Dave installed a mod for supporting mentions using the @username format, then removed or disabled it; and it happens to remain functional for some subset of users.

That said, I don't think I like mentions.  Thanks is as much gamification as I can tolerate, adding mentions goes a bit too far for my taste.

Just trying when I quote this if the mention of username with spaces works.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2024, 12:46:22 pm »

Nicely put.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2024, 12:48:28 pm »
Just trying when I quote this if the mention of username with spaces works.
Yep, the one with spaces works.  I did get a notification about the mention, too.  Weird.

In my edit window, they look like
    [member=162385]Nominal Animal[/member]
and
    [member=105127]ebastler[/member]

Let's see if [member=650524]metebalci[/member] works for me:
    @metebalci
At least in the Preview, it does generate the expected mention with @ in front, as a link to your profile.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2024, 02:36:59 pm »
I don't get the "gamification" and "forced notification" concerns. For reference, the attached screenshots show what "getting mentioned" looks like in the main menu. Easily ignored if you prefer to do so. And if you do look at it, I don't see how this would give you an endorphin boost.  ???

Edit: If you decide to click on the "Mentions" menu entry, you get to see a list of references (thread and user names) as shown in reply #22. And as soon as you have looked at that list, even the unobtrusive "[1]" indicator in the menu goes away again. You don't have to open the actual threads to mark them as "noticed".
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 02:43:18 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf