Author Topic: I would like to see a review on a few of the midrange extech meters :)  (Read 3698 times)

Offline ThunderSqueakTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Dont be a freak... dont be a freak... dont be a ..
    • ThunderSqueak!
Hello :)
I would like to see a review on a few of the extech meters , especially the  ex530, I am considering replacing/upgrading our meters in my shop and for budget reasons I am being told by my boss I cannot get the flukes that I want to get.  If he had his way I would end up with a bunch of walmart specials...  sorry, just a bitch/rant... my boss is a bit of a penny pincher. 

Currently working with non-binary computing, no reason for it... just doing because I can ^^

alm

Ask him how much it will cost if one of those Walmart meters blows up in the hands of an employee, and the company gets both a lawsuit and fines for not providing equipment with the required safety features. Or tell him you'll shop on Ebay ;).

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I have the Extech EX505 that will be in the $100 shootout.
No plans for any other Extech meters.

Dave.

• Supporter
    • ThunderSqueak!
Ask him how much it will cost if one of those Walmart meters blows up in the hands of an employee, and the company gets both a lawsuit and fines for not providing equipment with the required safety features. Or tell him you'll shop on Ebay ;).

Already been through that...   deaf ears, anyway was just looking for an alternative.

TBH I might just start requiring everyone to own their own tools -.- *sigh*
Currently working with non-binary computing, no reason for it... just doing because I can ^^

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Liability is probably a reason Fluke continues thrives in its home market, USA, in a sea of cheap competition.  Big companies just go Fluke and not worry about. 

If you've a fixed DMM budget and can't get the Fluke you want, why not call a big name distributor and see if a volume purchase can drop the price so both of you are happy.

Already been through that...   deaf ears, anyway was just looking for an alternative.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline squeezee

• Contributor
Having employees provide their own tools is common in certain shops. Although if your boss is a penny pincher that's going to be a problem either way, unless you provide a decent tool allowance the employees aren't going to like that idea.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Or tell him you'll shop on Ebay ;).

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  Good one ...  ;)

• Supporter
    • ThunderSqueak!
It worked!...  JK

anyway, I finally did get him to approve Fluke 87v meters ^^   
I am happy :)

You should have seen his face when I showed him a quote with gossen Metrawatt meters *grin* I wish I had a camera

alm

Congratulations! Offering a cheap, expensive and insanely expensive option is a valid strategy to make the expensive option seem cheaper, it's often employed by marketing people: offer an insanely expensive option that almost nobody buys, and the other options suddenly appear cheaper and more acceptable. 'This product costs $1000, but the enterprise version is $5000, so it's actually a pretty good deal!'

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf