EEVblog > News/Suggestions/Help

Images overhaul? How about clipboard paste?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Zero999:

--- Quote from: jpanhalt on September 16, 2023, 04:26:06 pm ---@Zero999

The attached image was uploaded as a png.  Still waiting for the "crash."

--- End quote ---
Now try a photograph. It will be huge, compared to a JPEG. That file is also larger than necessary. Here it is converted to 8-bit, which is smaller and has no loss in quality.

DavidAlfa:
Aaand another overdramatic thread added to the ignore list  :-DD

ebastler:

--- Quote from: Zero999 on September 16, 2023, 02:43:32 pm ---How does it decide the format? It would annoy me if photographs saved in PNG appeared here because the files would be enormous, or fuzzy schematics in JPEG.

--- End quote ---

The format is decided when you copy something into your clipboard. If you Ctrl-C a previously saved JPG photo, rest assured that it will be pasted as a JPG, and likewise for a PNG. The proposed "clipboard paste" mechanism for the forum would only simpliy the action of attaching the picture to a post.

Zero999:

--- Quote from: DavidAlfa on September 16, 2023, 09:23:30 pm ---Aaand another overdramatic thread added to the ignore list  :-DD

--- End quote ---
Why bother posting? That kind of post makes others more inclined to add you to their ignore list.

--- Quote from: ebastler on September 17, 2023, 07:50:12 am ---
--- Quote from: Zero999 on September 16, 2023, 02:43:32 pm ---How does it decide the format? It would annoy me if photographs saved in PNG appeared here because the files would be enormous, or fuzzy schematics in JPEG.

--- End quote ---

The format is decided when you copy something into your clipboard. If you Ctrl-C a previously saved JPG photo, rest assured that it will be pasted as a JPG, and likewise for a PNG. The proposed "clipboard paste" mechanism for the forum would only simpliy the action of attaching the picture to a post.

--- End quote ---
How would that be any quicker? One still has to navigate to the file, regardless of whether it's from their desktop or the file upload dialogue box.

My concern is it will promote laziness. People generating huge files by pressing the print screen button, then pasting, rather than bothering to export to PNG, or cropping the image and saving it.

jpanhalt:
It seems a bit odd to continue making it difficult for everyone else just to avoid such theoretical abuse.  If the ability to paste is abused, such abuses should be handled on an individual basis.

From prior discussions of this matter, however, I believe EEVBlog had another reason that was related to hardware capacity or the forum software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version