Author Topic: Intro Music  (Read 7641 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Intro Music
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:20:27 am »
For those wondering why the latest video doesn't have the intro music and has my lame voice-over, it's because I've been getting too much grief from YouTube over my "revenue sharing" videos having intro music from someone else. Even though I can leagally use it, and the owner specifically permits use on Youtube, there are way too many email hoops to jump through if my videos contain content from anyone else. I'm not entirely sure if I'm responding to a human or a bot at times!

Any ideas for the intro are welcome!

Dave.

Offline Macka

• Contributor
    • Andrew Craig Mackenzie
Re: Intro Music
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:22:16 am »
That's a real shame, the intro music you have is fantastic.

Unfortunately the only things I can suggest would involve just as many hoops :(

bmwm3edward

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:13:17 am »
Does Youtube automatically detect music and then try to force you through hoops?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:38:53 am »
Does Youtube automatically detect music and then try to force you through hoops?

No, I didn't want to lie on the form, so I ticked the box saying I was using someone else's music.
Now I'm a partner, I'll have to go through the same rigmarole for each and every one of my old videos!

Dave.

bmwm3edward

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:41:22 pm »
So do you need some "open source"/public domain music?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 12:07:10 am »
So do you need some "open source"/public domain music?

No, I was already using open source music. The problem is if you use *any* music you didn't create yourself, then you have to jump through the same approval hoops for every video you upload to YouTube, unless you lie on the form that is!

Also, technically if I have anyone else in my video, I have to jump through the same approval hoops. I'm not even allowed to sing words from a song or countless other things you aren't allowed to do, Youtube are ridiculously paranoid about everything!

You don't get the same scrutiny with a regular YouTube account, but the same rules still apply.

Dave.

bmwm3edward

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:54:09 am »
Thanks for the explanation.  I think forgiveness might be better than permission in this case.  Eg, Youtube is in CYA mode.  Just my $2E-2 worth.

Offline XynxNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 04:21:09 pm »
I read on a german blog some time ago that youtube deletes partneraccounts and all your videos if they think you used copyright-protected material without permission. I don't know wheather that was exagerated, but it's definitly something you should look into.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 05:28:11 am »
I read on a german blog some time ago that youtube deletes partneraccounts and all your videos if they think you used copyright-protected material without permission. I don't know wheather that was exagerated, but it's definitly something you should look into.

Yes, they clearly warn you about this (multiple times!). So I've got to be careful I don't use anything but my own stuff from now on.

Dave.

Offline Macka

• Contributor
    • Andrew Craig Mackenzie
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 05:41:57 am »
If the music is free for use and you aren't making money from it (or you are making money with permission), surely there is a way to reduce the hoops you need to jump through, just as long as you always use the same music?

Have you tried contacting youtube support to see if they have a solution to your problem?

Offline charliex

• Frequent Contributor
  • Car Hacker
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 04:51:21 pm »
build a theremin or a circuit bender and make your own muzak!

Offline armandas

• Frequent Contributor
    • My projects
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 11:42:18 am »
Or get rid of the fancy intro altogether. The intro of the very first episodes was quite nice too :)

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 10:36:17 pm »
Artists should allow you to use their music without payment because it's free advertising for them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf