Author Topic: IRC Server  (Read 6374 times)

Offline analogoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
IRC Server
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:01:44 am »
Hi Dave, austnet is unreachable for most of the world. What about hosting your channel on Freenode? It is the reference IRC network for open source projects and second biggest IRC network for number of users and servers (with servers in AU as well) . https://freenode.net/

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: IRC Server
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 07:24:26 am »
Hi Analogo, Austnet is an international chat service based out of Australia. It has multiple servers around the world. There are no restrictions on which countries can and can't access it, it's open for everyone.

You can't connect to irc.austnet.org at all?

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 07:39:43 am »
the eevblog irc service is on afternet ( irc.afternet.org )   channel is #eevblog

Lots of people from all over the place there right now; ( 110 plus ).. Why dilute it.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:54:25 am by mrpackethead »
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 07:48:01 am »
the eevblog irc service is on afternet ( irc.afternet.org )   channel is #eevblog

Lots of people from all over the place.

You must have missed the thread and Dave's twitter announcement MrPackethead. The official channel has moved over to Austnet from today.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/supporters-lounge/preserving-australias-digital-heritage-(moving-eevblog-to-irc-austnet-org)/

https://www.eevblog.com/chat/

There will be a transition period while we get a few things set up.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 07:50:18 am »
Theres 100+ people in that old channel.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 07:52:11 am »
Theres 100+ people in that old channel.

Sure and 80 of them are lurkers who never speak. You'll find several of the regulars are connecting to both networks for the time being. Don't worry, we won't be leaving anyone behind :-)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:56:29 am »
"Most of the world"? [citation needed] :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 07:36:35 pm »

Tim

I suspect the original post was a bit of a red herring. I've had messages from one or two users who seem to prefer Freenode over any other network. I've PM'd the original poster with no response, so I suspect he either got it working or it was never an issue to begin with.

I've had no reports from anyone, anywhere of unavailability or poor performance on Austnet, quite the opposite in fact.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 07:40:25 pm »

Tim

I suspect the original post was a bit of a red herring. I've had messages from one or two users who seem to prefer Freenode over any other network. I've PM'd the original poster with no response, so I suspect he either got it working or it was never an issue to begin with.

I've had no reports from anyone, anywhere of unavailability or poor performance on Austnet, quite the opposite in fact.

There is an eevblog channel on freenode!      irc.freenode.org #eevblog   Seems its been there for some time.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 12:08:20 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their support and thank you Dave!

The EEVBlog chat launched on AustNet this week! To join, you can either use the web chat functionality on the EEVBlog homepage at: https://www.eevblog.com/chat
or by using an IRC client such as mIRC (Windows) or HexChat (Cross-platform).

If using an IRC client, connect to irc.austnet.org on ports 6667-6669 or port 6697 for SSL connections and join the #EEVBlog channel.

You'll find an number of users from the forum and those with electronics and computing backgrounds from all over the world.
If you wish to secure your nickname on the server, type /msg NickOP help register for more information.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 06:02:45 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their support and thank you Dave!

The EEVBlog chat launched on AustNet this week! To join, you can either use the web chat functionality on the EEVBlog homepage at: https://www.eevblog.com/chat
or by using an IRC client such as mIRC (Windows) or HexChat (Cross-platform).

If using an IRC client, connect to irc.austnet.org on ports 6667-6669 or port 6697 for SSL connections and join the #EEVBlog channel.

You'll find an number of users from the forum and those with electronics and computing backgrounds from all over the world.
If you wish to secure your nickname on the server, type /msg NickOP help register for more information.

The thing is, no bodies moving because there is no reason to move. 

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 01:27:14 am »

If you bothered to even stick your head in and have a look, you'd realise that's not true at all.

Rather than trolling and trying to derail a good idea, why not join us and see for yourself, as opposed to flogging a dead horse.

:-)

Offline buck converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 02:06:31 am »
I'm late but Discord is international, more popular with the younger generation, and more organized in my opinion. It's not just for gamers, Adafruit has one with thousands of members. Discord breaks up the chat into multiple channels, so for example there could be a #beginners,#test equitment, etc.  Unless there's some other other reason I'm missing some feature with the former (I know almost nothing about IRC), I think Discord would be a superior option, especially since the community is forced to move anyway.
Just me and my scope.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 02:31:33 am »
I'm late but Discord is international, more popular with the younger generation, and more organized in my opinion. It's not just for gamers, Adafruit has one with thousands of members. Discord breaks up the chat into multiple channels, so for example there could be a #beginners,#test equitment, etc.  Unless there's some other other reason I'm missing some feature with the former (I know almost nothing about IRC), I think Discord would be a superior option, especially since the community is forced to move anyway.

Personally I'm not a fan of Discord at all, but I can see its merits. The thing with IRC is that it has nostalgic and historical value. There are much more modern chat applications out there of course, but many are platform dependant.

IRC is simple, been around a long time and does exactly what it says on the box. You could even telnet into an IRC server if you wanted to.

We few of us on the IRC channel actually use Discord for voice chat at times, especially while playing an online game of Cards against humanity. It's great fun!

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 06:11:27 am »

If you bothered to even stick your head in and have a look, you'd realise that's not true at all.

Rather than trolling and trying to derail a good idea, why not join us and see for yourself, as opposed to flogging a dead horse.

:-)

Well first of all,  I did have a look.   the chat was not interesting, the number of people with high level experience was dramatically less than those in the other eevblog channel.
Secondly, when i tried to use the interface that was presented to me, it didn't work.  I got errors.  Now i know i could work around it, but most folks who were born after 1990 would'nt.
Thirdly,  Austnet is dramatically smaller than freenode, has many less servers..

Guess you'll be wanting to bring back electronics australia in print and pop down to the news agent to buy it.         Hate to say, it trying to hang on to 'digital nostalga' is just fool-hardy.

It might be a good idea in your mind, but not everyones.     

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 06:51:16 am »
If you want to move the channel to a new server, then I suggest Rizon. Many of us use it for anime fansubs and so on, so you will find lots of people there... unless you want to use freenode which is more for developers channels.

Discord is good and there is a channel for eevblog there, I even suggested it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 07:10:39 am »
Guess you'll be wanting to bring back electronics australia in print and pop down to the news agent to buy it.         Hate to say, it trying to hang on to 'digital nostalga' is just fool-hardy.

Says the guy who's arguing over which 1980's era IRC server to use  ::)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 07:10:53 am »
If you want to move the channel to a new server, then I suggest Rizon. Many of us use it for anime fansubs and so on, so you will find lots of people there... unless you want to use freenode which is more for developers channels.

Discord is good and there is a channel for eevblog there, I even suggested it.

Hi Vegeta.

I think everyone has their own personal preference of server. Some like Freenode, some like yourself like Rizon. There are literally thousands of IRC servers around the world to choose from. It's impossible to keep everyone happy.

Austnet was chosen to preserve Australia's digital heritage. Austnet is the largest and longest running IRC server in the country with servers in other parts of the world. It's reliable, available and has nostalgic value for many users. Aside from a small handful of disgruntled users, it's working very well and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we welcome you to give it a go.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 07:51:17 am »
The only thing this exercise has impressed upon me, is the sheer force of will, that average people put into utterly meaningless things...

I can only imagine the clusterfuck that would happen, if the users, ops or admins actually had a monetary stake in this!  Why, it'd be outright politics! :palm:

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead, Halcyon

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 09:39:58 am »

Says the guy who's arguing over which 1980's era IRC server to use  ::)

I'll give you 10 points for that response. :-)  It was'nt actualy directed at you Dave, but Halycon.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 09:41:18 am »
Why, it'd be outright politics! :palm:

Sounds like undernet.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 10:06:34 am »
Could IRC be replaced with some kind of global RF netwotrk.  Some kind of HAM radio thing...    is there any spare frequency around the world that everyone can receive and transmit on...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf