Author Topic: Is it possible to unsubscribe from a thread?  (Read 4882 times)

Offline audiotubesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Is it possible to unsubscribe from a thread?
« on: November 29, 2023, 10:14:23 am »
Sometimes I reply to a thread which then later becomes shall we say not something I want to be part of :D

On most forums there is an unsubscribe button so you can stop getting notifications when a particular thread is updated, and it also stops the thread from showing up in "Show new replies to your posts."

Here I haven't found the magic button. Thanks.
I have taken apart more gear than many people. But I have put less gear back together than most people. So there is still room for improvement.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Is it possible to unsubscribe from a thread?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 10:38:37 am »
On the "new replies" or "unread posts" pages, far right, there is a column of checkboxes. Select, then click "ignore topic" button at the top. (?Do you have to enable that in your profile?)

Also works for threads started by experienced engineers that are (repeatedly) unable or unwilling to read data sheets :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: boB, audiotubes

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 10:39:25 am »
Add the unwanted thread to your "Ignore Topics" list:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=ignoretopics

You can set in your profile to show the "Ignore Topics" checkbox at the end of each line in the "Show new replies to your posts" list.  If you don't have the ignore checkboxes visible, you can enable them from your settings:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=theme

Apart from the "Ignore Topic", there is also an "Ignore User" and "Ignore Board" list, and also a friends list ("Edit Buddies" - buddies list only highlights their username, not like in facebook, so no notifications are sent to the selected usernames, no need for approval from buddies and nothing is shared with them).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:40:57 am by RoGeorge »

The following users thanked this post: audiotubes

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 01:53:07 pm »
I assume ignoring a topic will remove it from view entirely?

I'd really like to see an option in-between the "Unnotify" button, which simply stops emailing/notifying me of new posts to subscribed threads but still shows them in my new replies list, and actually ignoring a topic entirely.

My primary consumption model for eevBlog starts with first checking my new replies list (since I auto-subscribe to any thread I post in). But sometimes a thread goes off the rails or just so far removed from the conversation at the point I engaged, that I'm no longer interested and would prefer to drop it from my list. I can click "Unnotify" but that doesn't remove it from the list.

I could ignore it altogether, but most topics don't rise to that level with me. I might still choose to check in on the thread and so still want to see it in the forum list. Am I missing an option somewhere that would allow this?

The following users thanked this post: audiotubes

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 02:58:51 pm »
It will remain visible in the forum, for you and for others, just that it won't appear any longer when you click "Show new replies to your posts".

Once ignored, to find it easier, click to show your own post, then click on the title of the thread you added to ignore.
Your own posts are listed all in the Profile -> Summary -> Show posts:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=showposts

The following users thanked this post: Veteran68

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 03:13:40 pm »
It will remain visible in the forum, for you and for others, just that it won't appear any longer when you click "Show new replies to your posts".

Okay, thanks. That sounds like what I'm looking for. I assumed Ignore = Block and would hide it from view entirely, which isn't what I want. I just don't want it in the "replies to your posts" list any longer.

Once ignored, to find it easier, click to show your own post, then click on the title of the thread you added to ignore.
Your own posts are listed all in the Profile -> Summary -> Show posts:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=showposts

Yes I'm aware of that, and use it often.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 07:48:01 pm »
On the "new replies" or "unread posts" pages, far right, there is a column of checkboxes. Select, then click "ignore topic" button at the top. (?Do you have to enable that in your profile?)

Also works for threads started by experienced engineers that are (repeatedly) unable or unwilling to read data sheets :)

Interesting, I don't see any checkboxes at all. I went to my profile just now and I don't see any relevant settings for this either.
I have taken apart more gear than many people. But I have put less gear back together than most people. So there is still room for improvement.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 08:37:47 pm »

Interesting, I don't see any checkboxes at all. I went to my profile just now and I don't see any relevant settings for this either.

Same

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2023, 10:36:53 pm »
RoGeorge explained and linked it above.

"Show quick-moderation as: checkboxes"
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: Veteran68, audiotubes

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2023, 11:11:18 pm »
RoGeorge explained and linked it above.

"Show quick-moderation as: checkboxes"

Ah, overlooked that bit of his post.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2023, 09:07:05 am »
Thanks guys, found it.

I think the UX could be improved a bit :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf