Author Topic: What career options are there and what do you suggest?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline smartieTopic starter

What career options are there and what do you suggest?
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:20:57 am »
Hey Dave, and everyone else :)

I'm a student doing my final year of high school at the moment in New Zealand. I have a strong interest in electronics and want to do an electronic engineering related career later on.

What I would like to know is what career options are there and what are your suggestions on them?

I'm asking this because I want to study Mechatronics as it involves electronic and mechanical engineering. But I've been told that people who have just finished that course are still jobless which is a bit upsetting to me as that's one of the things I'd like to do for a career...

I'd really like to hear you rant on about your views on careers that are out there and are they worth it?

Cheers
Roman

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: What career options are there and what do you suggest?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:42:09 pm »
I've already done a drive-time rant on Mechatronics.

I'm a big believer that if you don't know if a career option is for you, then it's probably not the career option for you.
Engineering ain't that great unless you enjoy it IMO. And if you enjoy it then you don't think about it and just do it. Those people that don't have jobs probably aren't good enough, aren't trying hard or smart enough, or aren't branching out enough. There are always jobs out there, there is no reason to be an unemployed engineer.

Dave.

Offline A-sic Enginerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:49:50 pm »
Ditto on what Dave said.

One other footnote - if it's something you need to go to school for, you can't necessarily look at the job market as it is today. A lot can / will change before you get out of school.
The more you learn, the more you realize just how little you really know.

- college buddy and long time friend KernerD (aka: Dr. Pinhead)

Offline smartieTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:26:51 am »
Thanks for your guys feed back, I'll keep that in mind when going to uni next year! :)

Cheers
Roman

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf