EEVblog > News/Suggestions/Help

My thread has been locked in a high-handed manner.

<< < (5/5)

janoc:

--- Quote from: MrMobodies on May 01, 2022, 12:49:34 pm ---
--- Quote ---Can anyone give me a list of components and circuit layout from these photos?
--- End quote ---

Sounds to me like he wanted to be silver spoon fed this stuff at the effort of others but himself.

Correct me if you think I am wrong but I always thought that this sort of thing was referred to as "copyright infringement?" as nothing was physically taken away from the producers (material wise) apart from their revenue/profits that could be cut short if enough buyers chose knockoffs instead of the genuine articles.

--- End quote ---

You can't copyright a PCB/physical product. Maybe a (design) patent but that's different thing (there is this whole novelty concept involved). Or you could trademark it - but that doesn't prevent someone from making a copy and selling it under a different brand.

bdunham7:

--- Quote from: janoc on May 02, 2022, 09:03:38 pm ---You can't copyright a PCB/physical product.

--- End quote ---

This is incorrect.  There are several things about a PCB for which you can register a copyright, including the physical layout itself.  There is similar protection for IC masks and so forth.  Someone who copies your PCB directly either by photographic process or by tracing out with a pencil could be found to have violated that copyright, even if they make minor changes or delete the identifying information.

TimFox:

--- Quote from: bdunham7 on May 02, 2022, 09:36:56 pm ---
--- Quote from: janoc on May 02, 2022, 09:03:38 pm ---You can't copyright a PCB/physical product.

--- End quote ---

This is incorrect.  There are several things about a PCB for which you can register a copyright, including the physical layout itself.  There is similar protection for IC masks and so forth.  Someone who copies your PCB directly either by photographic process or by tracing out with a pencil could be found to have violated that copyright, even if they make minor changes or delete the identifying information.

--- End quote ---

See:  https://garson-law.com/ask-dr-copyright-protect-your-software-circuit-boards-and-mask-works/  for a discussion in US law.

Scherms:

--- Quote from: EEVblog on April 27, 2022, 04:09:08 am ---The original thread for those playing along at home:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/can-anyone-give-me-a-list-of-components-and-circuit-layout-from-these-photos/

--- End quote ---

Seen this so many times... The golden rule to all those 'who are easily offended' is to never reply to anything on a thread you have started! But if you have to reply to negativity then use this:  :) as your only response... and sit back and watch the heads explode!

gnif:
This topic is done and finished, locked

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version