EEVblog > News/Suggestions/Help

New Off Topic Hobbies Section

<< < (19/19)

jonovid:
Im ok with a section dedicated to mechanical engineering and or woodworking and or motor vehicles be it electric or internal combustion 2 , 3,  4 or more wheels!
or aircraft and or watercraft. particularly if its a DIY project.   :-+    cooking is ok with me if its DIY robotic gadgets for household chores. ;D

Shock:
Mechanical & Automation Engineering
Machining, Fabrication, Robotics, CNC and other automation.

RoGeorge:

--- Quote from: magic on December 05, 2021, 07:39:33 am ---I just tried to find some examples of such threads in "programming" and had to go back half a year.
Still, not sure what would be the best place for a topic like flashing SPI memories or vintage EEPROMs?

--- End quote ---

It happens that I've just read yesterday an SPI memory, with only an ancient Raspberry Pi 1 B (256MB RAM), some wires, and a few lines of Python.  :D
I can post it as a project if it helps.

Regarding which section to search, a google search inside the EEVblog only (add \$site:eevblog.com\$) might return better results, e.g. by typing in the search box something like this:

program SPI flash EEPROM vintage site:eevblog.com
https://www.google.com/search?q=program+SPI+flash+EEPROM+vintage+site:eevblog.com

beanflying:

--- Quote from: RoGeorge on January 05, 2022, 04:54:02 pm ---
--- Quote from: magic on December 05, 2021, 07:39:33 am ---I just tried to find some examples of such threads in "programming" and had to go back half a year.
Still, not sure what would be the best place for a topic like flashing SPI memories or vintage EEPROMs?

--- End quote ---

It happens that I've just read yesterday an SPI memory, with only an ancient Raspberry Pi 1 B (256MB RAM), some wires, and a few lines of Python.  :D
I can post it as a project if it helps.

Regarding which section to search, a google search inside the EEVblog only (add \$site:eevblog.com\$) might return better results, e.g. by typing in the search box something like this:

program SPI flash EEPROM vintage site:eevblog.com
https://www.google.com/search?q=program+SPI+flash+EEPROM+vintage+site:eevblog.com

--- End quote ---

Dave installed a small plugin I suggested some time ago that does that without needing to add the url and site bit. Use the top right search bar and pull down and select Google. SMF's native search is one of its weak points although the advanced search has some good filters to help narrow it.

RoGeorge:
Nice, thanks!   :D

I thought "Google" selected from the forum's search will do a normal search, didn't know it was set to search inside EEVblog, so never tried it before.  Thought, the forum's search box doesn't remember the engine in new pages, it has to be selected each time.

Another way would be to define a keyword bookmark link (Firefox can do that):
- select the prefered search engine inside the EEVlog searchbox
- right click inside the search box
- from the contextual menu choose "Add a Keyword for this search"

As triggering keyword, pick something short and easy to type, preferably a single letter, let's say "e", from eevblog.

Now open a new Firefox tab (CTRL+T), then type in the address bar:
e SPI flash programmer
and hit Enter.  That will summon the EEVblog search box, and the Google search is bounded to look inside EEVblog.

Yet another way would be to use the KDE launcher feature, for those using KDE Plasma on top of Linux or BSD, and to define the search link in KDE, so it will work with any web browser, but it might be trickier to set a keyworded search inside the KDE's Application Launcher.

Such shortcuts of one letter, a space, followed by the search words are very handy to use in switching searching engines or places.  I'm using these for things like word definition searches ("w" for "Webster" search, "c" for Collins), or to specify the engine ("g" for Google, "d" for DuckDuckGo), or in programming help ("s" for Stackoverflow, etc.), and now I'll add a new one, "e" for EEVblog.   :)

I've seen this trick (one letter followed by the words to be searched) first introduced by the old Opera browser (before Opera 12).  Up to v12, the Opera devteam came with many other revolutionary innovation in web browsing.  I think browsing tabs was also their invention, reopen last tabs, single letter prepend to select the search engine, search from the URL address bar, integrated mouse gesture for navigation, webpages saved locally as a single file, and so on.  Opera was very innovative until v12, when they decided to abandon their own code and just adapt an open web-engine like anybody else.   :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version