Author Topic: NEWS: Forum reverted to backup  (Read 30809 times)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: NEWS: Forum reverted to backup
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2021, 01:37:40 am »

Hmm, yet another mod, is it that important that everyone's post count be exactly correct?  :-//

It's a technical engineering forum, if the numbers don't add up then nothing else counts for much either.   ::)

The following users thanked this post: drussell

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2021, 01:39:28 am »
I already installed an updated posting mod, and that one eventually screwed up images attachments in the database.

What one did you try, and when?

Your DB's whole schema pedigree was obviously very old originally vs. something now and been updated many times with SMF upgrades so you need to be cognizant of gotchas and try to be careful what you do willy-nilly...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2021, 01:42:50 am »
Ok, I'll run that now.
There is no such option:

Sorry, I should have been more clear...  You need to install this mod to add that option:

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2324

P.S.  Also, we should chat sometime offline or PM or something re: extensions for things like the more modern post editors, etc. like being able to paste an image in using a simple [CONTROL]-[V], etc.

Given there is still a fairly substantial SMF core upgrade due adding more mods than is absolutely needed is a bad idea. While it won't be as bad as the SMF 1.X to 2.0 best avoided. As to manipulating the DB you go do that on your own forum rather than suggesting it here.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2021, 01:56:23 am »
Given there is still a fairly substantial SMF core upgrade due adding more mods than is absolutely needed is a bad idea.

Indeed, and I've played with the latest release candidates here locally.  I have some understanding of what is in the pipeline.

While it won't be as bad as the SMF 1.X to 2.0 best avoided. As to manipulating the DB you go do that on your own forum rather than suggesting it here.

I didn't write the recount mod, it is the product of the SMFHacks guys who tend to maintain quality SMF mods, not some random schmoo, at least in my experience and opinion, but like you say, this is not my forum, I'm only offering suggestions.  (Yet this is why I suggested myself talking directly to Dave out-of-band regarding the situation as I simply don't have the time right this second to publicly rehash on a forum things I dealt with several years ago in a similar situation with SMF.)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2021, 02:05:24 am »
It appears that the post counter shown below a members avatar is incorrect, the number of posts shown on the last page of a members profile displays the true post count as mentioned above.

Wow, I was once happily oblivious. :-DD

So, the profile post list keeps its own counter? Bizarre. Having worked on an SMF site before, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2021, 02:09:37 am »

So, the profile post list keeps its own counter? Bizarre. Having worked on an SMF site before, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

That is an intentional feature, so that if you are doing something like migrating from another forum or user group you can maintain members' post counts, for example.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2021, 02:10:10 am »
It appears that the post counter shown below a members avatar is incorrect, the number of posts shown on the last page of a members profile displays the true post count as mentioned above.

The list you see there is essentially the search results for all posts visible to you from that user, and therefore the number is relative to that. The post count attached to a user is a simple integer incremented for each post creation and decremented for each deletion. There's a few ways to get that out of sync with the actual number of posts (which is not the same as the number of posts located by an unprivileged search).

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2021, 02:17:01 am »

That is an intentional feature, so that if you are doing something like migrating from another forum or user group you can maintain members' post counts, for example.

Or just support an offset to the actual count. But no matter. Now I know how many posts I'm missing. D'oh! I shall erase that knowledge from my head as soon as possible.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2021, 03:02:48 am »
The post re-counter mod is simple...  If you don't want to go messing with the SQL queries and statements by yourself to by hand to update the counts, it makes it easy.  It's only a like 2k long file, if you're good with DBs, could also just look at the source and do it manually I suppose, but that seems like a lot of effort for essentially one simple thing.   :o

I've never seen it mess anything up, and you can just remove it as soon as you're done the re-count since you're probably not going to be needing it again.  It doesn't have to stay on the system, you just need to run it once to fix the munged post total field...

It's currently running, but sitting at only 1% done.
If it screws up we know who to blame.
My post count went from 32216 to 32730, it processed mine first because I'm account #1

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2021, 03:04:46 am »
Aaaaand it's crashed already it seems.
After only a couple of minutes running it asked me to log back in to my account, and it's only at 2%. I did that now it's asking to log back in again after a bit. This is hopeless  :palm:
Maybe it's still running in the background, I have no idea.

UPDATE: Seems to be running now without logging me up, it's up to 6% done.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 03:23:44 am by EEVblog »

Online lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2021, 03:22:02 am »
 Perhaps it is , as my post count now equals the post count under show posts count and is correct!.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2021, 03:25:05 am »
I had two other random accounts open to check:
Ian.M was 9970 now 9993
Muttley was 2050 now 2151

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2021, 03:43:27 am »
Mine is fixed - 5088 to 5156.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2021, 03:45:02 am »
Yeah, no worries, you are totally free blame me if it (recount) somehow hoses your DB, I'm not worried!   8)

I've had it get stuck sometimes but it is essentially looking for mismatches in batches of 100, so you can always just restart it.  It is basically only just copying the length of the array of the [posts] for a user into the displayed "posts" field...

It is really rather harmless...

On other SMF topics, I would really rather discuss directly with Dave first, and NO, installing additional mods on the current 2.0.18 system is not what I'm suggesting.   :palm:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2021, 04:31:59 am »
On other SMF topics, I would really rather discuss directly with Dave first, and NO, installing additional mods on the current 2.0.18 system is not what I'm suggesting.   :palm:

Public or not at all.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2021, 02:46:54 pm »
edit: the person you are quoting has had a number of racist posts deleted, so not the most reliable source.

Wow! If I'm reading right, I hope you're not talking about me, because a.f.a.i.k. I've never had a post of mine deleted, much less for racism.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2021, 08:50:14 pm »
Wow! If I'm reading right, I hope you're not talking about me, because a.f.a.i.k. I've never had a post of mine deleted, much less for racism.

not you
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: bsfeechannel

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2021, 02:40:32 am »
The recount task is now complete, so all accounts should now be accurate.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2021, 02:45:18 am »
Oh good seems they are now.

Any maybe with less running in the background the server will let bd139 finish archiving the TEA thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3564526/#msg3564526
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2021, 03:39:28 am »

Confirmed.

Thanks, Dave, for the fix.

Thanks, Muttley, for the count info.

Thanks, drussell, for the mod tip.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2021, 08:35:20 pm »
Dave said that blueskull would have deleted his own posts himself if he were allowed to return, but his profile is NOT banned.

Not sure whether anyone has clarified this yet? The profile summary page never shows a user as banned, to my knowledge. If you click on any of blueskull's remaining posts (via the "show posts" function in his profile), the poster info in the thread will show him as banned.

The following users thanked this post: bsfeechannel

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2021, 03:50:39 am »
Dave said that blueskull would have deleted his own posts himself if he were allowed to return, but his profile is NOT banned.

Not sure whether anyone has clarified this yet? The profile summary page never shows a user as banned, to my knowledge. If you click on any of blueskull's remaining posts (via the "show posts" function in his profile), the poster info in the thread will show him as banned.

Shows up as banned for me, but I'm an admin.
The one in the sidebar is a plugin IIRC.

Offline YetAnotherTechie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2021, 09:10:58 pm »
Since the fire i haven't received any notifications, i've gone back to the settings and choose to be "notified immediately but only for first" and to be notified of "replies and moderation", gone to the threads i was subscribed and clicked unnotify and notify again, and still nothing comes through...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2021, 04:07:23 am »
Since the fire i haven't received any notifications, i've gone back to the settings and choose to be "notified immediately but only for first" and to be notified of "replies and moderation", gone to the threads i was subscribed and clicked unnotify and notify again, and still nothing comes through...

Anyone else having notification issues?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2021, 06:12:50 am »
Notifications have been OK for me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf