Author Topic: Suggestions For A Teardown Of 1990s VCR Video Technology  (Read 1429 times)

Offline jonovidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
Suggestions For A Teardown Of 1990s VCR Video Technology
« on: March 09, 2022, 07:08:33 am »
an old videocassette recorder or VCR or 1990s  videocassette recorder will make an excellent teardown video.
or a big 1990s  commercial analog video theater projector or
rear-projection television RPTV 1990s type of large-screen television display technology.
lots of subassemblies , sensors and optics to play with.
generation Z may have never seen inside one.
I have seen this type videos posted on youtube,
But by people with No full understanding of the electronics used or how the various subassemblies work.
there was a time in history when analog video technology was both accessible and repairable with individual components.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Suggestions For A Teardown Of 1990s VCR Video Technology
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 11:17:34 am »
A very long time ago, my parents had a furniture-sized Healing TV. There was a company who insured the thing and paid for a tech to come out when the thing went on the blink (often).

Sometimes I would cross paths with the guy who came out and he just swapped modules to be repaired later. Eventually he seemed more annoyed that the newer TV's had ICs that contained the whole problematic modules entirely and that they were 'doing him out of a job'.

I remember struggling with paradox of buying reliable solid state hardware in a new TV, or put up with the unreliable, random, broken TV for a week for him to show up and fix it and keep him in a job.

This was the early '80s.

By the '90s I think VCR tech were too much smoke and mirrors, the earlier machines that had more discrete sub-sections might provide a better autopsy.

As for display tech, I've enjoyed watching how tech tried to get to the Star Trek TNG-like flat screen display and make it common place. A video chronicling that might be worth exploring.

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: jonovid

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 02:23:53 pm »
an old videocassette recorder or VCR or 1990s  videocassette recorder will make an excellent teardown video.
or a big 1990s  commercial analog video theater projector or
rear-projection television RPTV 1990s type of large-screen television display technology.
lots of subassemblies , sensors and optics to play with.
generation Z may have never seen inside one.
I have seen this type videos posted on youtube,
But by people with No full understanding of the electronics used or how the various subassemblies work.
there was a time in history when analog video technology was both accessible and repairable with individual components.
Our first VCR was this one; I saw it opened once or twice by my dad and I remember a mix of discrete and an IC here and there. I would love to take a look at one today.

I remember struggling with paradox of buying reliable solid state hardware in a new TV, or put up with the unreliable, random, broken TV for a week for him to show up and fix it and keep him in a job.
Our first TV (Philips 20 pol, mid 70s) was already colour and mixed technology (audio was solid state, but video wasn't) and it had a high failure rate already. My parents didn't dwell in this dilemma for long: they probably had it for about six years and replaced it with a Sanyo "IC solid state" - a sensation at the time. Even still, it required maintenance once or twice.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 02:27:30 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: jonovid

Offline Elecami

• YouTube
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 09:15:54 am »
I have more than 100 different models of VCR mostly from the 80s and almost as many video cameras and camcorders. All going to plan, I will be working through them making teardown videos over the next few years. Not sure if I will be able to give the electronics explanation full justice, but I'll try.
Some have already been done and in my YouTube.
I am trying to upload at least once a week. (Quite a challenge with work and other things going on)
https://www.youtube.com/c/ElecamiWolf/videos
1542862-0

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf