EEVblog > News/Suggestions/Help

The EEVblog Lab Building Complex has SHIFTED

<< < (4/9) > >>

bdunham7:
How much force can those struts exert?  10 tons each, maybe--at the most?  I hope the builders didn't skimp on the steel.

Nusa:

--- Quote from: bdunham7 on July 30, 2021, 04:36:07 am ---How much force can those struts exert?  10 tons each, maybe--at the most?  I hope the builders didn't skimp on the steel.

--- End quote ---

Hydraulic jacks generally get used when we need to exert force. Manual screw jacks are generally used for support, not application of force. The shore jacks I see in the picture are probably in the 10-ton rating area, so good guess. Safety factors are usually about 2.5, so over 20 tons before direct failure. But you also have to worry about how much weight the floor can support before the jack punches through.

floobydust:
Shoring up a parkade, would need a structural PE to signoff on that and it's right next a column and beam so I would be very cautious- it's either an idiot put the posts up or something more serious.

The Miami FIU pedestrian bridge failure, one error was the engineers' assumption the end of the bridge would be butted up against the other portion. Think of two people leaning back to back, they support each other. But the other half of the bridge wasn't in place... so the end concrete member just shot out and the entire bridge failed.
If your building design is assuming it can lean on the one next door, there will be troubles.

The Miami Champlain Towers South condo failure, it's the usual corruption where the architect/engineer made some mistakes, adding a last minute penthouse, and the builder skimped on rebar and waterproofing. Add decades of saltwater, crooked building inspectors, cosmetic patching and repairs, and a condo board faced with nobody wanting to fork out the $9M+ repairs... and it collapsed.

Concrete is not really fixable, I think Opal (and likely SEG Plaza) are testaments to the fact you are hooped if it breaks, and design errors cannot be "patched up".
I would be concerned about the reasons for the 1" shift, if it's getting worse is the big issue tracked in the FIU lawsuits.

Nusa:
Probably a good time to make sure all your off-site backups are current. Just in case you show up some morning and find out the building is condemned, not safe to enter for any reason.

CJay:

--- Quote from: Nusa on July 30, 2021, 06:19:50 am ---Probably a good time to make sure all your off-site backups are current. Just in case you show up some morning and find out the building is condemned, not safe to enter for any reason.

--- End quote ---

Damn fine logic for buying a load of new TE, it's an offsite DR backup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version