Author Topic: The EEVblog Lab Building Complex has SHIFTED  (Read 13441 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
The EEVblog Lab Building Complex has SHIFTED
« on: July 29, 2021, 11:41:30 am »
The building next door to the lab which shares the same underground carpark has "shifted" by 25mm, and there are now struts holding up the underground carpark on both levels, with the higher level having a giant crack in the slab along the axis of the struts  :o

And above the two basement floors outside right above, a large stretch of all the pavers have shifted. Hard to see in the photo. Similar length to the basement cracking. They have dug up two sections to inspect the probable slab shift.

Technically, not a problem that affects my building, yet, but they are joined at the hip.

I would be surprised if all occupants of the building next door get told to leave. These has been a big spate of these in Sydney with apartment blocks.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 11:44:31 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: The EEVblog Lab Building Complex has SHIFTED
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 03:31:01 pm »
Do you know why? Could it have been a small earthquake?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 05:12:19 pm »
Going to guess the complex is around 10 to 15 years old, and this is the foundations settling, probably due to them either being originally piled and filled during construction. Then due to shifting rainfall and a dry period the ground dried out slightly, and the ground has shifted, or there has been steady watering of the grounds, making the ground compact down. There is a building complex near me that has had some settlement, the one side has settled down by around 40cm over 10 years, leaving a gap in the building between the two halves of the building.

There was a point when the gap was big enough in the expansion gap to pass a person through, before the gap had a filler piece inserted in there.

I would guess the same for this, with the bracing being there to prevent the edge crumbling with the load of the ground outside.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 10:06:09 pm »

No idea yet. All we know is it's moved.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 10:06:44 pm »
Going to guess the complex is around 10 to 15 years old

I believe it's around 17 years old or so.
Actually, that's my building. This one next door is a couple of years younger. The movement is in the expansion joint between the two buildings.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 10:35:37 pm »
After seeing that condominium tower in Florida collapse recently this sort of thing would make me a bit nervous.

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 11:04:28 pm »
Did you rent the space or buy? The Mascot towers debacle, not to mention Opal, Cube etc has really opened my eyes to this stuff.

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 11:44:10 pm »
After seeing that condominium tower in Florida collapse recently this sort of thing would make me a bit nervous.

On the other hand with that disaster in recent memory I'd expect there to be increased caution around concrete buildings doing anything out of the ordinary.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 12:10:14 am »
I’d be fairly relaxed unless it’s on landfill…
Northwestern Sydney is mostly on good old Sydney sandstone, so it’ll take a good push.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 12:51:17 am »
Did you rent the space or buy? The Mascot towers debacle, not to mention Opal, Cube etc has really opened my eyes to this stuff.

I've owned it for the last 10 years.

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 01:08:53 am »
Well then, grab the caulking gun, she'll be right no wukkas.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 01:35:01 am »
I suspect some assigned parking space owners are annoyed right now.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 01:40:22 am »
Watch your insurance bill now !  :(
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 02:15:40 am »
I suspect some assigned parking space owners are annoyed right now.

Once the lockdowns are over, yeah. Now, not really, the carpark is 90% deserted.
Come to think of it, if I was paying rent in that building then yeah, I'd be immediately asking for a discount for unusable space.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 02:26:55 am »
I’d be fairly relaxed unless it’s on landfill…
Northwestern Sydney is mostly on good old Sydney sandstone, so it’ll take a good push.
That or, if the garage is several levels deep underground, the failure could come from a settlement there.

The soil where I live is a weird clay and it becomes arenous during extreme drought. My house is located in a place where the bedrock is just a few meters below the top soil, but even still the house experiences immense shifts throughout the year.

(the original builders never took advantage of that and used a concrete slab anyways... Oh well)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 04:36:07 am »
How much force can those struts exert?  10 tons each, maybe--at the most?  I hope the builders didn't skimp on the steel.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 05:32:55 am »
How much force can those struts exert?  10 tons each, maybe--at the most?  I hope the builders didn't skimp on the steel.

Hydraulic jacks generally get used when we need to exert force. Manual screw jacks are generally used for support, not application of force. The shore jacks I see in the picture are probably in the 10-ton rating area, so good guess. Safety factors are usually about 2.5, so over 20 tons before direct failure. But you also have to worry about how much weight the floor can support before the jack punches through.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 06:02:08 am »
Shoring up a parkade, would need a structural PE to signoff on that and it's right next a column and beam so I would be very cautious- it's either an idiot put the posts up or something more serious.

The Miami FIU pedestrian bridge failure, one error was the engineers' assumption the end of the bridge would be butted up against the other portion. Think of two people leaning back to back, they support each other. But the other half of the bridge wasn't in place... so the end concrete member just shot out and the entire bridge failed.
If your building design is assuming it can lean on the one next door, there will be troubles.

The Miami Champlain Towers South condo failure, it's the usual corruption where the architect/engineer made some mistakes, adding a last minute penthouse, and the builder skimped on rebar and waterproofing. Add decades of saltwater, crooked building inspectors, cosmetic patching and repairs, and a condo board faced with nobody wanting to fork out the $9M+ repairs... and it collapsed.

Concrete is not really fixable, I think Opal (and likely SEG Plaza) are testaments to the fact you are hooped if it breaks, and design errors cannot be "patched up".
I would be concerned about the reasons for the 1" shift, if it's getting worse is the big issue tracked in the FIU lawsuits.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 06:19:50 am »
Probably a good time to make sure all your off-site backups are current. Just in case you show up some morning and find out the building is condemned, not safe to enter for any reason.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 07:20:11 am »
Probably a good time to make sure all your off-site backups are current. Just in case you show up some morning and find out the building is condemned, not safe to enter for any reason.

Damn fine logic for buying a load of new TE, it's an offsite DR backup.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 04:54:40 am »

My NAS is backed up to the cloud, so technically all files accesible, but quite slow of course.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2021, 04:55:45 am »
Damn fine logic for buying a load of new TE, it's an offsite DR backup.

I have enough gear to equip several labs!
I just can't set them up, and one storeage unit is in the same building.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2021, 05:04:51 pm »
I would be more concerned with your property assets  suddenly becoming a liability.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2021, 07:16:45 am »
I would be more concerned with your property assets  suddenly becoming a liability.

Yeah, that's a potential concern.
Although I'm in such a good location, it would be foolish to panic sell.
Although if I was in that building next door and heard that BANG BANG BANG BANG, I might be contacting my realestate agent right about now.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2021, 09:06:47 am »

I think it was the music coming from those Hillsong ppl.
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf