Author Topic: Walkthrough Wednesdays?  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Tris20Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Walkthrough Wednesdays?
« on: February 03, 2014, 07:35:53 pm »
Hey, I was wondering if you could maybe walk us through a schematic every now and maybe dedicate a specific episode to it? It wouldn't even need to be very long (say 10 minutes). I know that you tend to give the schematic a look during tear-downs but it would be really informative if there was more detail and perhaps examples of how things could be changed to have different outcomes? Looking through YouTube there's a few circuit/schematic walkthroughs but really not as many as I'd hoped for(or their badly tagged or I have have horrendous search skills). I know I've suggested "Walkthrough Wednesdays" but it wouldn't need to be every Wednesday of course. Even once a month would be great! Please consider giving this a try :) You might even enjoy it  :-+

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Walkthrough Wednesdays?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:12:12 pm »
It is a lot of work for dave he is buisy enough at the moment as it is and I think it would be quit boring
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:35:54 pm »
To what end?
To figure out how a particular circuit/product works?
To figure out how to draw schematics?, good/bad methods etc
To identify and explain common building blocks?

The point being that unless you have a clear intention with what you want to achieve with a "schematic walkthough" it's going to end up a bit of a hotch-potch.

Offline Tris20Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »
"It is a lot of work for dave he is buisy enough at the moment as it is and I think it would be quit boring"

A lot of work? It takes less effort to draw up or talk through a schematic than go through a full teardown. He could quite easily skim through some of the schematic as well, focusing mainly on things such as:
1. Traps for young players (who I imagine would be a main demographic(sorry for the marketing speak)
2. Exceptional elements of design
3. Alternative values/components

The suggestion is more towards occasionally supplementing a tear-down with a follow up dedicated specifically to going through some of the schematics in a bit more detail and then going back to the tear down. I'm not saying it will be exciting, but considering your very own post in the beginners section the other day I would have thought you'd be a bit more keen on seeing someone (especially someone with Dave's level of expertise) walk through a circuit diagram. Like I say, doesn't need to even be that frequent.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:48:41 pm »
I just think it is better to do it whith the teardown or even integrate it with a fundamental Friday (examples where a fundamental circuit is used)  a whole episode donated to a schematic is a bit much to ask I think

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:32:45 pm »
I was actually about to suggest Stumbling Sunday. Dave walks into the EEVBLOG towers, lights off. The first item he stumbles across in the dark gets cursed at and torn down. Unfortunately, before I could make that suggestion he cleaned up his mess. Bastard.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:12:04 am »
The suggestion is more towards occasionally supplementing a tear-down with a follow up dedicated specifically to going through some of the schematics in a bit more detail and then going back to the tear down.

The majority of teardowns won't have a schematic available. The ones that do, well, if I see something interesting in the schematic then I will point it, but if it doesn't occur to me at that instant I'm shooting then it doesn't get mentioned.
I could sit dawn and stare at the schematic for while with the intention of going "right, what are the interesting parts of this schematic, what are the interesting things to talk about etc, but that generally how I like to work. And you might be surprised at how un-interesting some schematics are. Yeah, I can probably find something to waffle on about, but that edges toward just waffle for the sake of waffle.
Point taken on board though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:14:08 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 05:15:39 am »
I was actually about to suggest Stumbling Sunday. Dave walks into the EEVBLOG towers, lights off. The first item he stumbles across in the dark gets cursed at and torn down.

Given that I have a subconscious map of the floor contents, I would have had of been blindfolded and placed into a random position in he room for that to have worked. But yeah, it could have actually worked, and well, that's kinda sad...

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 05:24:53 am »
I think that the ground up build series (ucurrent) cover much of what the suggestion has. In fact evolution over time, pcb design, bom reduction even panel layout and component selection. Pretty much covers it all with the exception of interesting "Why did they do it that way?" stuff. In that case you seem to do a video on the spot or save it for a Fundamentals Friday.

Offline kolbep

• Frequent Contributor
    • ShoutingElectronics.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 05:38:45 am »
Perhaps, to assist those Newbies that would like help understanding schematics,
you could take a simple schematic / device,
for example a 2 stage transistor amplifier circuit, or a daynight switch,
and break it down into
Input, Processing, and Output sections (and how to identify it),
and just give a run through on how those sections are coupled.

This to me, seems the easiest way to help them understand circuit flow.

P
====================================
www.ShoutingElectronics.com Don't just talk about Electronics, SHOUT ABOUT IT! Electronics Blog Site and Youtube Channel

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:50 am »
So business as usual then. ;)

The difference is it's unplanned waffle!

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 06:06:54 pm »
So business as usual then. ;)

The difference is it's unplanned waffle!

Yes dave short and to the point

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf