Author Topic: (Yet another) Arduino - it is small though  (Read 12174 times)

Offline niekproductionsTopic starter

• Contributor
    • NiekProductions
(Yet another) Arduino - it is small though
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:10:39 pm »

This is the BareDuino Nano, measuring only 21x14mm.

Since I’m on a student budget, I couldn’t afford to leave an actual Arduino into my projects, so I designed, etched and assembled the BareDuino classic. I can quickly throw one into a project without having to worry about using an expensive regular Arduino.

Using the experience I earned from the original BareDuino, I started the BareDuino Nano project at the age of 13. I saw Fabio Varesano’s Femtoduino and really liked the idea, so I set myself the challenge of making it even smaller. Needless to say I’ve succeeded. In order to make it smaller, I had to use 0402 resistors and capacitors (which were a pain to hand-solder) and use 1.27mm spaced headers.

Because I was working with such small components, I had to use solderpaste and a soldering oven to get it right.  For assembling earlier revisions, I tried to apply the solderpaste by hand but it just wouldn’t work well enough/at all. Eventually I went over to a nearby FabLab and laser-cut some stencils for applying the solder paste. Here’s a video of the process.

At the beginning of July, Seeed Studio started manufacturing and selling my BareDuino Nano! It was really nice working with them. There were a couple of errors on my side, but they helped me solve them.

I didn't build this to get credit, I love challenges. I finished a working prototype within half a year, and the challenge was gone. It was only 2 years later that I picked it up again and decided to try and get it sold.

Design files, part list etc.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:24:04 am by niekproductions »

Offline riktw

• Contributor
Re: (Yet another) Arduino - it is small though
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:40:06 pm »
That looks really nice, only downside I see is that it is as expensive as a regular Arduino again :)
It is however really small and the silkscreen on the back is nice.

Offline moon

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:33:35 pm »
In order to make it smaller, I had to use 0402 resistors and capacitors (which were a pain to hand-solder) and use 1.27mm spaced headers.
really resistors and capacitors size was bottle neck for pcb size  ;D

• Contributor
    • NiekProductions
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:37:57 pm »
In order to make it smaller, I had to use 0402 resistors and capacitors (which were a pain to hand-solder) and use 1.27mm spaced headers.
really resistors and capacitors size was bottle neck for pcb size  ;D

Plus the QFN atmega328, regulator and crystal of course  :palm:

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:41:32 pm »
That board can't fit 0603s? Hell, it looks like it could fit 0805s if you move a couple traces.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Contributor
    • NiekProductions
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:08:05 pm »
That board can't fit 0603s? Hell, it looks like it could fit 0805s if you move a couple traces.

You should give it a try, the design files are on my GitHub

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 04:15:29 pm »
Switch to to 01005 , use 1.27mm pitch headers and use 4 milt rack and gap. i'm willing to bet you can shave it 1/2 size.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline r3l3u

• I don't believe in anything but i count everything
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:57:41 pm »
nice one, and very tiny indeed !

Offline fake-name

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:14:35 am »
Can we stop calling these things "Arduinos" at this point, and just call it what it is: A minimal ATmega238P dev board that comes with a bootloader?

The ****duino stuff is just silly at this point.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:08:10 pm »
Its nice, but I don't get this kind of small breakout boards for a micro-controller that will need to be put into another pcb(or flying wires everywhere), so they can be used.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 01:36:46 am »
Can we stop calling these things "Arduinos" at this point, and just call it what it is: A minimal ATmega238P dev board that comes with a bootloader?

The ****duino stuff is just silly at this point.

I wouldn't even call it a dev board... there's no breadboard area to develop anything additional on that board. It would need to be plugged into a breadboard itself, or daughted onto another external I/O board  or breadboard.

Like you said, this is just a minimal ATmega board with an Arduino bootloader pre-loaded.

From what I understand, modern artist / kinetic artist types like these boards if they need just minimal I/O, because they can leave them at/in an installation site without the additional cost for a full blown arduino dev board that they would have to leave installed at a site.

But these really are just minimal ATmega's that run Arduino code.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 02:00:54 am »
Where is the schema? Documentation?

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 03:00:15 am »
Its nice, but I don't get this kind of small breakout boards for a micro-controller that will need to be put into another pcb(or flying wires everywhere), so they can be used.

They're more geared towards breadboarding/learning projects than actual applications.

But breadboards have 2.54mm pitch, that board has a 1.27mm pitch, you need an adapter board os a butt load of wires to connect to the breadboard.

• Contributor
    • NiekProductions
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 07:27:28 am »
Where is the schema? Documentation?
https://github.com/niekproductions/BareDuino/tree/master/Nano

It's meant to be used in a permanent project, where you've already prototyped and tested the code. I never meant this to be a prototyping board.

Offline fretless

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 03:59:59 pm »
I'm sorry but I don't see how it's better to use your breakout board in a permanent project. If you are designing a board you can easily incorporate it youself. The only case this was viable would be a breadboard/stripboard, but those have a pin spacing of 0.1", not 0.05". Nice work anyway, though.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 11:16:40 pm »
There's no need to insult his work.

Most of it seemed more like constructive criticism.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline quarros

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 02:12:01 pm »
Size wise I think this one maybe better, especially for embedded projects, but definitely not as mechanically tough as the topic opener's. You have to be very careful to not lift a pad if you want to use all pins (that's why I still love trough hole design)
http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1042#.UoOHS-KHdpF
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:20:42 pm by quarros »

• Contributor
    • NiekProductions
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 03:12:46 pm »
Size wise I think this one maybe better, especially for embedded projects, but definitely not as mechanically tough as the topic opener's. You have to be very careful to not lift a pad if you want to use all pins (that's why I still love trough hole design)
http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1042#.UoOHS-KHdpF

That's a very cool board! I can definitely think of some wearable uses for that ;)

Offline quarros

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 04:38:00 pm »
That's a very cool board! I can definitely think of some wearable uses for that ;)

Yeah you're absolutely right (although you have to put some gunk on the sides to properly secure the wires in place).
But it is especially good for some RC flying project... Being small and light as possible.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 05:44:40 am »
I think that is amazing what you have accomplished at only 15. you can communicate perfectly in English being your second language (i assume by looking at the profile).
You clearly mentioned that you designed the board to be small and inexpensive so it can be used in your projects and leave the board permanently on them. You obviously have some basic knowledge of programming and electronics and may be more. Whoever is criticizing you is because the're jealous .  I hope you keep up the good work.  :-+

• Contributor
    • NiekProductions
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 10:10:56 am »
I think that is amazing what you have accomplished at only 15. you can communicate perfectly in English being your second language (i assume by looking at the profile).
You clearly mentioned that you designed the board to be small and inexpensive so it can be used in your projects and leave the board permanently on them. You obviously have some basic knowledge of programming and electronics and may be more. Whoever is criticizing you is because the're jealous .  I hope you keep up the good work.  :-+

Thanks! Originally this was just a project I started as a personal challenge  :D

As for my English: I'm in my second-to-last year of bilingual education (IB programme). I'm planning to study EE at a university after I graduate from high school.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf