Author Topic: Are there any open source audio amplifier designs?  (Read 1823 times)

Offline lufihengr

• Contributor
Are there any open source audio amplifier designs?
« on: October 11, 2020, 08:11:27 pm »
So I want to build a class D sub amp, but ideally I would use an already proven open source design. I tried to look for one, but I came up with not a whole lot.

While there are some designs available, they are usually anywhere from a few watts, to maybe 100W. I'm looking for something along the lines of 1kW+

Anyone have any knowledge about any projects?

Online bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: Are there any open source audio amplifier designs?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 09:37:27 pm »
I would look into application notes for the devices you are considering.  Failing that, contact applications engineers at the manufacturers and see if they have suggestions.

Offline lufihengr

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 11:10:41 am »
Thanks

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 07:41:12 pm »
For anything audio related, diyaudio.com is probably a better place to look around.

Online dietert1

• Frequent Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 08:20:27 pm »
You can search ebay for "iraud 1000W". Currently there are boards for 1000W at € 52 and for 2000W at about € 88,26. And you may need something like a SMPS800R (connexelectronic). Plus a speaker protection board.

Schematics of those amplifiers can be found in the web once you know what to look for. Iraud amplifiers are an old, yet good solution. The ready made boards may need some rework though, as they take the low voltage supplies from the high voltage rails, which isn't very nice.

Regards, Dieter

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 08:49:06 pm »
i have few car audio power amp teardown pictures (pcb level, not open source schematics level) if you want to take the challenge. some of them i've retraced the circuit 2 years ago during repair sessions:
1) AQ-2000R Audio Quart Class D Amplifier
2) PA37-M350 2500W Mono Block Amplifier
3) AQ-854 1500W Audio Quart Amplifier
4) AQ-2580R 350X4W Audio Quart Amplifier
just say yes and which model and i'll post here top and bottom pcb. i doubt you can find really open source schematics at this magnitude, most ee are not audiofeel.
It's extremely difficult to start life.. one features of nature.. physical laws are mathematical theory of great beauty... You may wonder Why? our knowledge shows that nature is so constructed. We simply have to accept it. One could describe the situation by saying that... (Paul Dirac)

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 09:16:22 pm »
I used the TAS5630 a while back for a 600W amp, it was mostly a 'follow the eval board' design. The one trap I fell into was the output inductors - I used a commonly available surface-mount drum core, and they got extremely hot when running at full power. TI's application engineers mentioned that the output inductor selection is critical, with cores chosen to avoid an inductance slope with applied current.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf