Author Topic: CAN-FD open source software (host) stacks  (Read 10161 times)

Offline dav888Topic starter

• Contributor
  • various artists
CAN-FD open source software (host) stacks
« on: February 12, 2021, 08:49:48 pm »
Checking in if anyone have experience with CAN-FD and what open source software libraries that are out there..!?

As most USB to CAN FD bridges are $300+ and come with proprietary windows apps, there isn't much available (afaik) in the linux/c-libs/python space...!? Anyone with experience?

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
Re: CAN-FD open source software (host) stacks
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 10:53:39 pm »
The good ones are usually supported by busmaster, which is free and open source, and as such lacking in (some) features

Offline mattselectronics

• Contributor
    • Matt's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 11:12:39 pm »
The good ones are usually supported by busmaster, which is free and open source, and as such lacking in (some) features

Busmaster is discontinued and also the GitHub seems to be deserted. I doubt, that it has support for CAN-FD.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 02:48:56 pm »

Busmaster is discontinued and also the GitHub seems to be deserted. I doubt, that it has support for CAN-FD.

I think that CAN-FD support lies in the interface driver, so it's independent of busmaster?
Anyway, do you know of a free / low cost alternative to it?

Offline mattselectronics

• Contributor
    • Matt's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 01:20:19 pm »
When it comes to functionality, CANoe from Vector is still the best by a long shot. But it is not cheap (multiple k€), requires the approperiate hardware interface and runs only under Windows.
It can do far more than only monitor. There is also CANalyzer, if you want to monitor only.
CANoe is basically the industry standard and if you have to work with car/truck OEMs or there suppliers, you have to have it.

For the cheaper option, there is https://www.peak-system.com/PCAN-USB-FD.365.0.html?&L=1 for 245€
They offer a Linux driver, but the Monitoring application seems to be Windows only.
It also seems to be supported by busmaster so this might be an option.

Unfortunately, I'm no expert with anything other then CANoe, becaus that is what we use...

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 04:19:19 pm »
I understand, we mainly do reverse engineering and wanted to evaluate that vector solution. From what we saw we would gain almost zero functionality over busmaster.
Simulators written in busmaster run just fine, i would like to have the GUI functionality back but whatever, that's free..

Online rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 01:37:00 am »
Check kvaser stuff

Offline SignalArray

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 05:41:12 pm »
Check Intrepid Control out, it is a Vector competitor and more automotive suppliers are using Intrepid instead of Vector VNs and CANoe software.

https://store.intrepidcs.com/product/vcan4-2a

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf