Author Topic: Collaborative power supply design -- benchtop 30V-3A  (Read 16016 times)

Offline GiskardReventlovTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • How many pseudonyms do you have?
Re: Collaborative power supply design -- benchtop 30V-3A
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 08:19:01 pm »
It's easy to program in a million features, but it's all completely useless when the power supply isn't stable.

It's not easy to program in a million, but it distracts (from your other well made point) of a usable PS.

As a neophyte enthusiast I think a design should separate each of the sub-systems of the PS onto separate boards. Then use interconnects.  This way might be more expensive and more work but it also would provide a path to augment with new features later. And also allow replacement of one sub-system that had to be altered due to problem parts, like the entire LT308x series.

I lack the knowledge to know if this is a feasible approach but the feature creep is definitely a death trap. And I think a modular (based on the PS sub-systems) design would keep the feature creeps quiet as it would allow future additions.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:02:03 am by GiskardReventlov »

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 11:08:50 pm »
Perhaps the 0-40V 100W power supply published in this month's (and next month's) Silicon Chip might be of interest?

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:14 pm »
How hard would it be to modify the feedback loop in one of the many One Hung Low Meanwell clone power supplys? (In and of itself that wouldn't give a useful bench supply, but maybe with some filtering and a linear regulator.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:20:56 pm by Marco »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf