Author Topic: Fluke 179 worth it?  (Read 5346 times)

Offline doomsterTopic starter

Fluke 179 worth it?
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:13:34 pm »
hello everyone,

this is my first post :) I am dimitris. i work in IT Support Buisness . as an extra im running a home bench buisness repairing industrial equipment,gathering a small extra income. My kid recently destroyed an old mastech multimeter i had on  my bench.
I saw an Fluke 179 DMM for 200euros (about 250$) on a local store. I need a bit more accuracy than the mastech  |(i  checked mastech's accuracy recently using a hammeg olliscope to doublecheck the measurements, and i was a bit dissapointed ) , and i think i would like Hz and Temp measurements as well.

Does it worth the money? is it a good investment for my bench ?

Thank you in advance :)

EDIT: Lol 1st post and on a wrong category :) Plz mods move it to Test Equipment   :):) sorry for the inconvinience :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:19:47 pm by doomster »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 179 worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:13:43 pm »
I saw an Fluke 179 DMM for 200euros (about 250$) on a local store.

Does it worth the money? is it a good investment for my bench ?
I don't know the local currency and all the VAT taxes, but an used 179 on ebay costs around $125 to $150 USD.  A new one on Amazon.com is $258 USD.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:56:24 am »
I have a 179 and I can say it is a war tank and it has a great responsiveness in its auto-range. Since you are interested in repairing industrial equipment, safety is also a concern and you can't go wrong with it.

Check here some internal photos I took a while ago and, if you scroll down you can check the excellent reviews from Martin J Lorton.

Last year when I was in the market for a replacement for my 25 year-old DMM (which I blew in a silly accident), at first I thought that Fluke was very expensive for its specs when compared to other brands (Extech, BK Precision, etc.). However, my reason to go for the Fluke brand (and the 179 in particular) was that, if it lasts for another 25 years, then it definitely paid itself off... :)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline WBB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:34:22 am »
(i  checked mastech's accuracy recently using a hammeg olliscope to doublecheck the measurements, and i was a bit dissapointed ) ,

Chances are that your DMM is more accurate than the o'scope. Nothing wrong with upgrading to a better or a 2nd DMM for sure, but don't just assume the scope is correct and the DMM is wrong. Absolute accuracy of an o'scope, even a good one, isn't that great.

Offline doomsterTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:13:38 pm »
well
im gonna go for it. thank you all, and i will come up with my review when i get it :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf