Author Topic: Universal SMD board design?  (Read 11347 times)

Offline elektronchikaTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Elektronchika's blog
Universal SMD board design?
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:38:55 am »
Hi, I'm looking for a dissent universal SMD board with footprints for SOP, TSOP, SSOP, TSSOP, small QFN packages and 0805 resistor and caps. I looked through ebay, but I cannot find a good size (100 by 150 or 200). Not all the footprints are necessary, buy I need something, that I can use for testing some new ICs.

Can you help me find such boards, and not very expensive? Or maybe someone has made such a board and he can share the layout with us.

Best regards,
Lazar

Offline miceuz

• Frequent Contributor
    • chirp - a soil moisture meter / plant watering alarm
Re: Universal SMD board design?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:46:44 am »

Offline gmb42

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:09:47 pm »
Seeed have some, here.

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:32:29 pm »
Probably you are looking for something like this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/universal-through-hole-smd-prototyping-board/

I ordered those from Mike, he did a great job on them.
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:06:14 pm »
Also just ordered with Mike, looking forward receiving them  8)

Offline elektronchikaTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Elektronchika's blog
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:31:59 am »
Hi,

Mike's one look great. But most of the sockets are placed around the center. And tha pads are combined 3by1, no 1by1.

The other way is to have many different adapter boards and use the kind you need, combined with a big, only-holes board.

Still looking for some decisions.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:31:04 am »
I'm pretty interested too. How do you guys order Mike's boards? Is it enough to pay via PayPal and await the package?
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 11:45:21 am »
I'm pretty interested too. How do you guys order Mike's boards? Is it enough to pay via PayPal and await the package?
I hope so, that is what I did  :)

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 06:55:10 am »
I hope so, that is what I did  :)

Yes. I ordered and received 4. it took a while to cross the pond, will probably be much faster for you guys.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 10:03:32 am »
Yeah also received mine. Pretty happy with the product, cost and shipping  :-+ but the communication could be better  :-- (read: no answer, total communication black out).

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 11:06:08 am »
Yeah also received mine. Pretty happy with the product, cost and shipping  :-+ but the communication could be better  :-- (read: no answer, total communication black out).

Remember, Mike is a one man band (and the leather jackets make it look the part to, ba-dum tsch), so he is probably very busy, with that said, it would be nice for him to just send an email that says "Yeah, i sent it, heres the tracking number if it has one"

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 11:46:05 am »
And tha pads are combined 3by1, no 1by1.
I have never understood why anyone would want a proto board with individual pads. It means every single connection must be made manually, and makes it difficult to remove & replace parts.  Just plain dumb. For the rare occasions you need it for odd parts, it;s not a big deal to cut tracks.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 11:50:20 am »

Remember, Mike is a one man band (and the leather jackets make it look the part to, ba-dum tsch), so he is probably very busy, with that said, it would be nice for him to just send an email that says "Yeah, i sent it, heres the tracking number if it has one"

I primarily make these for my own use, and selling a few covers the cost, so I basically get the ones I use for free.  They are usually sent out within 2 days and arrive fairly quickly, so I don't consider it worth the time acknowledging orders. Although I could just reply to the Paypal email, at that point I generally don't know exactly when I'll get to the Post Office to send them, and when I've sent them it's too much hassle to go back through emails to find the orders. 

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 03:57:20 pm »
It was more to my PM here on the forum I got no response, as you can read in this topic it is not very clear how to order the pcb's for everyone and what to expect  ;)
So it is just my honest feedback, do with it what you like, anyway I sure like the product  :-+

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 05:58:30 pm »
These are not nearly as nice as Mike's design, but they might work for you.  I ordered one, just to have on hand, seems to be of reasonable quality.
www.ti.com/tool/dip-adapter-evm
DIP-Adapter-EVM provides an easy, low cost way to prototype small surface mount IC’s. Supports these TI packages: D or U(SOIC-8), PW(TSSOP-8), DGK(MSOP-8), DBV(SOT23-6, SOT23-5 and SOT23-3), DCK(SC70-6 and SC70-5) and DRL(SOT563-6). May be used with terminal strips (Samtec TS-132-G-AA recommended) or may be wired directly to existing circuits.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 09:48:31 pm »
These are not nearly as nice as Mike's design, but they might work for you.  I ordered one, just to have on hand, seems to be of reasonable quality.
DIP-Adapter-EVM provides an easy, low cost way to prototype small surface mount IC’s. Supports these TI packages: D or U(SOIC-8), PW(TSSOP-8), DGK(MSOP-8), DBV(SOT23-6, SOT23-5 and SOT23-3), DCK(SC70-6 and SC70-5) and DRL(SOT563-6). May be used with terminal strips (Samtec TS-132-G-AA recommended) or may be wired directly to existing circuits.

If you're gonna do that, just get some jumper wire and a machine pin socket...
Somewhat related, if you do do that, i suggest getting a long roll of these;

It may not seem like much but damn it makes life easy.

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 10:14:29 pm »
  The TI dev board is a bit pricey at $10, but it does come with "Two (2) Terminal Strips (Samtec Part Number TS-132-G-AA)"www.samtec.com/ftppub/pdf/td.pdf

What's that long roll in the photo called?
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 10:35:02 pm »
That sort of simple breakout is very handy for breadboarding with an occasional  SMD part - I occasionally slip a few like that into unused PCB waste or tooling bars.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 10:39:33 pm »
There's also these handy little bits as shown on gerry sweeney's site

https://www.tindie.com/products/matseng/smd-adapters-set-1/

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 11:27:00 pm »
There's also these handy little bits as shown on gerry sweeney's site

https://www.tindie.com/products/matseng/smd-adapters-set-1/
The TI version ($10) contains 36 breakouts, compared to the 12 ($4.50) of Gerry's.  Ti claims they're selling them at cost. But who really knows.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 11:42:05 pm »
By the time you add international shipping to the TI product it's not so appealing, unless you can tack one onto an existing order.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 02:38:43 am »
By the time you add international shipping to the TI product it's not so appealing, unless you can tack one onto an existing order.

What shipping?

They certainly don't charge me anything.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 08:41:14 am »
Ti claims they're selling them at cost. But who really knows.
They probably loose money on it if you calculate the processing/packing/shipping human costs alone you're easily at $5.-  This is a steal from a commercial company, but then if there are shipping costs involved it's less attractive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf