Electronics > Open Source Hardware

How do I start an Open-Source Project?

<< < (7/7)

janoc:

--- Quote from: Pitron on July 17, 2022, 01:23:36 pm ---
I’m considering doing a Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaign with a low project goal, to raise awareness for the project. I enjoy designing products, but I’m not the best with marketing/selling. This is an area I need a lot of help with.

--- End quote ---

Hum, you do realize that after/if your Kickstarter/Indiegogo will be successful, you will have to actually fulfill those orders? How are you planning to do that? I understood you have some sort of contract manufacturer making those leads for you - but will you contract the order fulfillment, support, etc. out too? Don't fall into the trap that many did with their Kickstarter campaigns - the thing got popular and bam - now they have to produce and deliver tens of thousands of whatever gadget they were trying to fund and don't have means to do it.

Also, using Kickstarter as a marketing platform is not really the best thing to do - your project will just be lost among the thousands of other similar projects unless you actively drive traffic to it somehow - by doing the marketing, advertising and selling. I.e. exactly what you aren't good with.

Pitron:

--- Quote from: janoc on July 17, 2022, 04:58:17 pm ---Hum, you do realize that after/if your Kickstarter/Indiegogo will be successful, you will have to actually fulfill those orders? How are you planning to do that? I understood you have some sort of contract manufacturer making those leads for you - but will you contract the order fulfillment, support, etc. out too? Don't fall into the trap that many did with their Kickstarter campaigns - the thing got popular and bam - now they have to produce and deliver tens of thousands of whatever gadget they were trying to fund and don't have means to do it.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your comment.

The MOQ for the manufacture is around 1000 unit (500 pairs). I have enough money set aside to be able to order around 1000-2000 units. However, I’m not certain if I’m ready to make that commitment yet.

I was thinking about using Kickstarter as a marketing experiment. I’ll place the goal at around $1,000-$500 and I drive traffic to the campaign using Facebook and YouTube ads. If I reach the goal, then ill place the order.

If a customer makes a purchase on Kickstarter, I’ll definitely make sure they get the test leads.

Pitron:
I plan to do the fulfillment myself. Ill price the test leads so that I’ll be able to hire someone, if I receive to many orders.

With the way my business currently is, that would be a good problem to have.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version