Author Topic: Idea for open source I2C 12 channel servo controller  (Read 6046 times)

Offline TorrentulaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • My blog
Idea for open source I2C 12 channel servo controller
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »
Hey guys!

I am thinking about this for a few weeks now but I'm still not sure ifI should do it.

I have designed a 12 channel I2C servo controller and I had some proto boards manufactured by iTead studio. Of course the design will need some more refining but the main functionality is there.

Now I'm thinking about making the controller an open source hardware project and releasing the design files, schematic and code under the creative commons license (share-alike) and therefore make it open source hardware.

To top things off I might even go to Seeedstudio and let them manufacture and distribute the board (as I have no big rep I certainly couldn't sell the boards.

The things that are keeping me back are the question if there is even any need of yet another 12 channel I2C servo controller or if there is just too much well known and proven products out there.

Do you think this is a good idea and that I should be attempting it?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Idea for open source I2C 12 channel servo controller
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:41:34 pm »
Go for it, let the design be your advert. Nothing wrong with doing it, and it adds to the collective as well, and may prove useful to others as well, with a similar problem, who may also use it in their designs and attribute you.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:47 am »
Before hitting the manufacture button, are you aware that you can do a 16 channel controller with a single chip -
http://www.nxp.com/products/automotive/display_instrumentation/led_controllers/PCA9685PW.html
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline TorrentulaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:52:40 pm »
Thanks Sean and Mike!

I'm afraid the specialized chip wouldn't be cutting it, though it has more channels because I have been thinking about adding more features like saving the current positions and then automatically go to these positions on startup, might aswell add a feature so the user could send a scaled 0 to 180 degree angle to the controller and it takes care of the correct pulsewidths (make it a no-brainer for the Arduino lot / beginners)

Keep em coming ;)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:49:48 am »
Do you think this is a good idea and that I should be attempting it?

Yes, and yes!
Just do it.
You'll never have any idea how many other people will want it unless you put it out there.

Dave.

Offline MickM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:16:33 pm »
Hi;
  I bought this:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/815

Still waiting for the servos to arrive.

Mick M

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo