Author Topic: Open Hardware Schematic design and layout  (Read 13059 times)

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Contributor
    • carrotIndustries.net
Re: Open Hardware Schematic design and layout
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 05:59:12 pm »
LTSpice is free, works under wine on linux, but the user interface is quite horrible.
What's your exact issue with LTSpice? I really like its user interface, once you remember the keyboard shortcuts, it's a breeze to use. As far as schematic editors go, LTSpice IMO is one of the better ones out there. Really good feature: You can draw nets 'through' parts and the net will be split automatically, huge time saver. Haven't come across a single schematic editor that does that as well.

Another open-source EDA package: http://www.pcbelegance.org/

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 07:17:56 am »
I think you're the only who likes the user interface of LTSpice  ;) ;D

Offline CraigHB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 08:19:50 am »

I like it as well.  It's not your conventional point and click Windows style interface, but once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty fast and easy.  You just have to get used to it being keyboard driven instead of point and click driven.  On the other hand, Eagle does not use a conventional point and click interface and I find it quite kludgey at times.  I never feel that way with LTSpice.

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Contributor
    • carrotIndustries.net
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 12:18:00 am »

I like it as well.  It's not your conventional point and click Windows style interface, but once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty fast and easy.  You just have to get used to it being keyboard driven instead of point and click driven.  On the other hand, Eagle does not use a conventional point and click interface and I find it quite kludgey at times.  I never feel that way with LTSpice.

Back then, when I used Eagle (switched to kicad recently), I configured the Eagle shortcuts to mimic the LTSpice ones. LTSpice and Eagle actually have conceptually very similar user interfaces. Both don't have an idea of a 'selection', they just go command, select objects, done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf