Author Topic: Crazy powerful radio transmitter  (Read 9943 times)

Offline SKHILLBILLYSluresTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Crazy powerful radio transmitter
« on: July 02, 2017, 12:59:03 am »
I had a friend talk about an extremely powerful RF circuit that was transformer coupled through a microwave oven transformer apparently it would light up the neon lights under his truck and wonder would this type of circuit most likely be a VCO or if anyone has heard anything similar

and it was wired into the truck so the source was very likely 12V dc unless an inverter circuit was used which I doubt
There is so much info I'm DroooooooolING all over it

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: Crazy powerful radio transmitter
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 02:14:21 am »
Microwave oven transformers (MOT) are mains-frequency devices (50Hz or 60Hz). It is unlikely that there is any MOT on this planet that will pass anything remotely resembling "RF".

An MOT all by itself will light neon lights.  Even when driven with a low-frequency oscillator powered from 12V.  Again, no "RF" required here.

If he really was driving down the street with a "Crazy powerful radio transmitter" I would advise him to stay clear of FCC agents.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 03:33:25 am »
That funny because he himself said that if I ever a way to construct it, it's construction would only be operated in a Faraday cage then it must have been more likely a HV supply which again I'm confused how he didn't blow up components at this voltage unless external control circuitry was used
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:35:59 am by SKHILLBILLYSlures »

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 03:41:24 am »
So, he'll put his truck in a Faraday cage to comply with FCC?
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 05:06:47 am »
He didn't I'm unsure if the laws weren't in effect for time period or if it went largely unnoticed for him I however planned on building it myself and then implementing a Faraday cage love the satire though the image that gave me is truly golden lol

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 06:32:56 am »
An MOT from North America steps up the 120V mains power to 2000V

If you drive a raw MOT from a 12V chopped signal (converting DC to AC), then it will output roughly  200V, plenty to drive those
automotive discharge lamps.

Unless you friend can provide a schematic diagram and/or circuit description, I very strongly suspect there is no "RF" involved here. Sounds like a back-woods, mountain-boys tall tale to me. An MOT would be very inefficient (if it would operate at all) at anything above a few hundred Hz.

Of course, if there is arcin' and sparkin' going on here, then he may have created a broadband spark-gap transmtter like the kind used in the early 1900s  and banned by the FCC perhaps 80-90 years ago.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:36:32 am by Richard Crowley »

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 04:26:35 pm »
A microwave oven is essentially a radio transmitter, enclosed in a Faraday cage, where the Faraday cage usually also holds food.  But the transformer isn't the part that generates RF, the magnetron is the primary device that's responsible for that.  In theory, you could harness the magnetron of a microwave to generate a communications transmitter, but you'd have to add some means to modulate it if you wanted to communicate anything useful.

But I take issue with the term "crazy powerful".  Microwave ovens are rarely above 1-2 kW or so. If you want "crazy powerful", you'll have to do better than that; try something like an RCA 6949 vacuum tube:

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/6/6949.pdf

Read the specs and drool.  500kW continuous output.  The filament alone takes 1130A at 7.8V, for 8.8kW!  Cooling with distilled water required, starting at over 40 gallons per minute for low power use.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 05:21:03 pm »
And Drooooooool I did because I'm not sure but I may have one of those or a smaller version of the triode and serious beard scratch modulating a a magnatron with a spark gap sounds incrediblely simply to do except for I'm not sure where to start with the control circuitry

s far as crazy powerful I know microwaves on the order of around 1000watts or so I just never heard of such a design and for most YouTube projects are battery powered so obviously very low power
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:23:25 pm by SKHILLBILLYSlures »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 07:03:57 pm »
Read the specs and drool.  500kW continuous output.  The filament alone takes 1130A at 7.8V, for 8.8kW!  Cooling with distilled water required, starting at over 40 gallons per minute for low power use.

I think this is my favorite part...

Starting current must never exceed 1700 amperes, even momentarily.
   :bullshit:

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 07:24:16 pm »
This whole premise smells of infantile BS.  To my knowledge no one has yet managed to harness an oven magnetron for communication purposes.

That said, there are some very impressive, if totally illegal, mobile setups out there.  The search term is "AC sky's the limit."  They call these meets "breaks" and it is essentially RF drag racing.  The traditional contest frequency is 27.385MHz.

Years ago, in the early days of the internet, there was a video floating around I can no longer find of a suburban reputed to be developing some 70KW peak.  The video was recorded on a mag tape camcorder at a distance of about 45 feet and at the peak of the run the video actually completely broke up and hints of the AM modulation were audible.

They utilize up to 10 large frame Leece Neville alternators (some supposedly use Lexidyne locomotive alternators) driving triodes with handles.  Lots of video out there like this.  Check out the corona about 50 seconds in.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:14:19 pm by WastelandTek »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 08:04:39 pm »
You haven't seen power until you have taken a tour of an VOA (Voice of America) site while it was in operation. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_America_Bethany_Relay_Station

They heated the buildings in the winter with steam from generated from cooling the output tubes.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 11:31:48 pm »
OH MY LORD 250KW  and one with 500kw WLW is named worlds largest wattage for a reason only to exceeded by radio Moscow which I'm actually a little scared to see how many watts that thing is operating a 70kw CB actually sounds like something I would build just for fun of course

Offline Mosaic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 10:17:15 pm »
Hmm...wondering if it's possible to modulate the Microwave tube to do point to point backhaul microwave for WiFi. A parabolic antenna coupled with a few hundred watts of 2.4Ghz RF could probably reach hundreds of miles.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 07:04:30 am »
OH MY LORD 250KW  and one with 500kw WLW is named worlds largest wattage for a reason only to exceeded by radio Moscow which I'm actually a little scared to see how many watts that thing is operating a 70kw CB actually sounds like something I would build just for fun of course

Please don't, it's possible to hear those aresholes splattered over 70KHz or more and pegging the needle here in the UK, they must wipe out a *huge* portion of HF in the US

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 01:07:31 am »
No worries should I ever take up the project I would use proper RF sheilding in order to keep it from leaving my barn and would likely build it just to say I did and better understand the Operation of such a circuit through constructing one

Please don't, it's possible to hear those aresholes splattered over 70KHz or more and pegging the needle here in the UK, they must wipe out a *huge* portion of HF in the US
[/quote]

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 01:24:47 am »
Hmm...wondering if it's possible to modulate the Microwave tube to do point to point backhaul microwave for WiFi. A parabolic antenna coupled with a few hundred watts of 2.4Ghz RF could probably reach hundreds of miles.

is there any way I could use a similar circuit to this that was only a few watts to jam the wifi in my house?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 01:44:13 am »
is there any way I could use a similar circuit to this that was only a few watts to jam the wifi in my house?[/quote]
There are already (illegal) WiFi and cell phone jammers out there.

Or (NOT recommended!) you could defeat the interlock on your microwave oven door and blast 2.4GHz for a few dozen meters.  Even with the door closed, I can't use WiFi or BlueTooth within 1m of my microwave.

Offline tiger99

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 10:53:19 pm »
Please do not do this! High RF fields are extremely dangerous and it amazes me that the idiots in the video were standing as close as they were. Possibly trying to qualify for Darwin awards? Plus there will be serious legal consequences, especially if any innocent person is injured or killed, as is quite likely.

In any case, using a magnetron simply to energise a few lights is an incredibly ineffective way of doing it, and it would be impossible to avoid anyone nearby not receiving RF burns. It is very important that the likes of microwave ovens are properly maintained, with no excessive leakage around the door, to avoid serious injury. Allowing the energy to be radiated is way beyond stupid, or even criminal, it is utterly and completely reprehensible and imbecilic, which is why I believe that the original story was not true, or was misunderstood. Had it been true, there would have been a number of serious and probably permanent injuries. You don't recover from being microwaved, the heat is generated internally in whichever body parts are exposed to most of the field, and the cooked flesh and organs are dead, permanently. If they are vital ones, you die. If it is a limb. it will need to be amputated. There are legal limits on RF exposure for a very good reason.

The former Soviet Union, not well known as being in the forefront of public safety, set their safety level for microwave exposure very much lower than the US. The EU limits also are lower. There is a reason for that, which you may care to ponder.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 06:40:32 pm »
It's definitely waaaayyyy layer for a response but
As i have been informed yes a cell phone jammer can be illegal (but you can still legally purchase one)
But as far as the FCC states to my knowledge that very low power transmitters are fine as long as they are only operating on your property and the transmission range doesn't exceed this
Im on 2.5 acres so again I'll ask despite anyone's reluctance

Could i witness a schematic that spits out random 2.4 gigahertz that's very low power
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 06:42:39 pm by SKHILLBILLYSlures »

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 07:12:37 pm »
You can light up a neon tube with a 4w CB, crazy power not required.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 07:55:51 pm »
Well i guess a about year later i got an answer lol
Seriously that's cool any youtube fodder on this

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 08:02:43 pm »

And right next to WLW used to to Voice of America VOA.   Very near me.   They had several transmitters in that power range.   They used the hot water from the tubes to heat the building in winter.  I got a tour of the place while it was in operation in later 1970s.  All the massive antennas are down and the area is now a park.   The transmitter building remains as a museum.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf