Author Topic: Open Source Electronic Ballast  (Read 9326 times)

Offline ResRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • -Artificial_Intelligent-
Open Source Electronic Ballast
« on: July 06, 2013, 12:00:10 pm »
Is there any open source schematic for a 2x36W T8 fluorescent lamp electronic ballast? I have a lot of improving ideas, including higher voltage capacitors and bigger heatsinks for 1300x transistors, but i'm little bit worried for getting sued by reverse engineering bad ballast and improving that to make it better. I have seen and taken apart a lot of ballast from all sort of companies where the main capacitor is overvolted, like 385VDC on a 250VDC electrolytic capacitor and t8 bulbs outlived the ballast almost all the time.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Open Source Electronic Ballast
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:43:48 pm »
Sincerely, R.E. Some ballast, next kill them, next found what is dead and inprove it.

I think is the easiest way to do it
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

• Regular Contributor
Re: Open Source Electronic Ballast
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:48:36 pm »
Luckily I have one specimen from Far East Electronics to play with :D Bad or overvolted caps at the power source side plus one creepage problem already solved by scraping it off and replacing with 500V 22AWG isolated wire from broken tape recorder. My brother thought it was illegal to R.E. the ballast like that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 01:57:02 pm by ResR »

duskglow

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 02:46:23 pm »
I love how the silkscreen for the capacitors looks like the astrological symbol for "woman", or "venus".

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:11:17 am »
I love how the silkscreen for the capacitors looks like the astrological symbol for "woman", or "venus".

"Theres yer prawblem"

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 05:08:15 am »
Chip vendors like International Rectifier will have a bunch of "reference designs": http://www.irf.com/technical-info/refdesigns/lightingkits.html

You'll have to figure out what different between a CFL, TL5, T8 or T12 ballast, though.  Physics wise, I'd think a 32W ballast designed for a filament-start fluorescent bulb wouldn't care if it were skinny, fat, spiral, or straight.  But the app notes are frightfully specific.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 02:52:45 am »
Linear also has a bunch of app notes on fluorescent lamp inverters. Sadly, fluorescents are slowly on their way out, being replaced with LEDs.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:02:55 am »
That's a shame Diligent, seems like an interesting tale, is it possible to elaborate? The idea was obviously good, was the patent any good? Why did it expire?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:15:06 pm »
Investors got greedy, that's a shame, looked like well thought circuit. Thanks for sharing your experience, DilligentMinds.
Fluorescent light bulbs are phased out by LED's already, some of the blame can be pointed at manufacturers, who try to minimize the mercury content of the tube, thus making it less reliable and more prone to mercury starvation. Not to mention the shame of the CFL and methods of how it was forced on makes people more resistance to fluorescent lighting in general and LED is way to show it.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 11:00:25 am »
You're in eastern EU, US patent law doesn't reach there. Do as you please :) Nobody's going to sue you :)
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline seoiot123,

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 11:15:02 am »
You'll have to figure out what different between a CFL, TL5, T8 or T12 ballast, though.  Physics wise, I'd think a 32W ballast designed for a filament-start fluorescent bulb wouldn't care if it were skinny, fat, spiral, or straight.  But the app notes are frightfully specific.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf