Author Topic: OSHW Hosting  (Read 18333 times)

Offline ratdude747Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
OSHW Hosting
« on: December 23, 2014, 02:10:25 am »
Idiot Question:

I have a project I need to host somewhere, which I intend to be OSHW.

The issue I'm having is hosting the files... I've tried google code and github but I'm a complete noob to git and can't figure it out for the life of me.  |O

For Electronic hardware, where (free preferably) can I host and update the files (original sources and PDF/gerber files)? If I have to learn Git, I will... but I'd prefer to focus my energy elsewhere.

Suggestions?

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: OSHW Hosting
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 02:18:30 am »
Idiot Question:

I have a project I need to host somewhere, which I intend to be OSHW.

The issue I'm having is hosting the files... I've tried google code and github but I'm a complete noob to git and can't figure it out for the life of me.  |O

For Electronic hardware, where (free preferably) can I host and update the files (original sources and PDF/gerber files)? If I have to learn Git, I will... but I'd prefer to focus my energy elsewhere.

Suggestions?

You could publish using dropbox (you can share link to folders and files) but will loose the versioning of github and google code. IIRC google code supports also friendlier versioning systems but git is the defacto standard.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 02:27:19 am »
You could set up a free blog site:
https://www.blogger.com/home
There are others.
Git is awful for basic stuff, I don't blame you for avoiding.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:19:16 pm »
How about here:
http://www.ohwr.org/
The Wiki-based setup of the site makes is a real PITA to navigate and find things though.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 06:24:54 pm »
I've tried google code and github but I'm a complete noob to git and can't figure it out for the life of me.  |O

Git is awful for basic stuff, I don't blame you for avoiding.

Git's one of the better revision control systems that I've seen. They're all slightly batshit crazy. :scared: Highly advised that you learn it, as once you've climbed the learning curve the benefits seriously outweigh the annoyance.

Code: [Select]
# First time:
git config --global user.name "Name Name Name"
git config --global user.email "email@email.email"
git clone https://github.com/username/repo

workworkwork
git add .
git commit -m "Description description description"
git push

Edit: s/pull/clone/ - surprised nobody called me out on that! ;D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:33:28 pm by c4757p »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 04:05:48 pm »
Git's one of the better revision control systems that I've seen. They're all slightly batshit crazy. :scared: Highly advised that you learn it, as once you've climbed the learning curve the benefits seriously outweigh the annoyance.
+1 on that. They all have something, and IMO git does a lot of things the right way. And while the learning curve is definitely there, it is well worth it. Aaaah, easy merges.  ^-^ Not to mention being able to go offline for a bit without access to the main repo but still being able to do meaningful commits + log entries while working in offline mode. No such luck with SVN and such.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 04:14:23 pm »
Aaaah, easy merges.  ^-^

Probably git's biggest advantage - merges are delightfully pleasant. Not such a big deal on a small project, of course.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 04:17:02 pm »
i hate GIT , i'm an orthodox Subversion user :D even the switch from CVS to SVN was a slow process for me (mainly because of converting my projects) and i strictly refuse to use GIT :D

but on the other hand... GIT is IDEAL for community projects and OFFLINE development. and it's extremely EASY to learn it.

so in short:
1. stop bitching Guys :D
2. RTFM
3. github is your friend to host your project ;)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 04:33:20 pm »
i hate GIT , ..

Me too, but it's the version control system l am using for all my hobby projects (can't imagine working on a project without a proper version control). It's the least intuitive version control I ever used.

OP, learning got is a long term investment and you just need to memorize a few commands for daily stuff.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 06:24:11 pm »
Speaking of SVN.. Are there nas appliances that have this on board ? Id like to start using SVN at home but dont really want a dedicated computer running for that all the time. A NAS box would be handy.

We use tortoiseSVN at work as it i tegrated perfectly with Altium.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 07:01:29 pm »
Speaking of SVN.. Are there nas appliances that have this on board ? Id like to start using SVN at home but dont really want a dedicated computer running for that all the time. A NAS box would be handy.

If you consider RPI to be an appliance try this search: svn server raspberry pi. Alternativly you can run the server on your own computer and use the NAS as the underlying storage.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 08:08:22 pm »

if your NAS box is running linux inside, and you have root access to it.. then just compile the svnserve binary for that platform and hook it up to inetd, or make it running all the time.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 10:02:37 pm »

if your NAS box is running linux inside, and you have root access to it.. then just compile the svnserve binary for that platform and hook it up to inetd, or make it running all the time.

You lost me at 'compile'. I'm a hardware guy. All i can so is launch setup.exe when it comes to installing software....  i'm also not looking to hack any nas box. I want a nas box with that stuff already on it.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 10:15:33 pm »
Find a software guy and pay him?

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 10:58:30 pm »

You lost me at 'compile'. I'm a hardware guy. All i can so is launch setup.exe when it comes to installing software....  i'm also not looking to hack any nas box. I want a nas box with that stuff already on it.

synology has almost everything for their NAS boxes... and a very quick googling "synology SVN server" yielded this how-to :)

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/Step-by-step_guide_to_installing_Subversion

so if it's not too complicated (it's far away from setup.exe , but quite not @ compile :D ), i would suggest a synology NAS box - because it can do the SVN for you ;) 

btw... i'm not a fan of NAS boxes i like to have full control, so i'm running a HP micro server with linux at home - hosting all services i need (it does NAS, DLNA, VPN, ISCSI, SVN... and some more boring stuff ;) ).

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 07:05:55 am »
Find a software guy and pay him?
Pay for free software ? Surely not !  >:D

Looks like svn can run without complicated intalls.

http://invalidlogic.com/2006/12/06/using-subversion-without-a-subversion-server/

I do t have to have a server and i can use my existing nas boxes

Great !

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 09:46:25 am »
I've tried google code and github but I'm a complete noob to git and can't figure it out for the life of me.
If you use Windows, I recommend to install the Github client: https://windows.github.com Of course it's not as powerful as the command line, but for 99% of all tasks I do with Github I don't need more. It is not more difficult than a file explorer and even very useful for basic stuff, which tends to get bigger over time anyway :)

Another advantage of Github compared to Dropbox is how easy it is for others for use your project, either clone it (means download), or fork it, means creating their own version of it in Github and then probably sending you pull-requests, if they find bugs which you then can accept for fixing your own project, too. All with an easy to use web interface (except the part when you send pull-requests, that's the time when the pull-request creator needs the command line).
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline fake-name

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »
I've tried google code and github but I'm a complete noob to git and can't figure it out for the life of me.
If you use Windows, I recommend to install the Github client: https://windows.github.com Of course it's not as powerful as the command line, but for 99% of all tasks I do with Github I don't need more. It is not more difficult than a file explorer and even very useful for basic stuff, which tends to get bigger over time anyway :)

If you're on windows, the only client you should ever look at is TortoiseGit (http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/).

It's based on tortoiseSVN, so the learning curve if you're starting with TSVN is fairly minor, and it exposes *all* the power of command-line git if you need it.

Offline dansku

• Regular Contributor
  • I make things
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 03:39:45 pm »
Setting up your own blog on blogger or wordpress is super easy.
Git is not that hard, specially if you use their software to make the commits.

I use http://www.git-tower.com/ as my git software and I love it. I'm not used to do it using the terminal.  :-//

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 04:30:28 pm »
Setting up your own blog on blogger or wordpress is super easy.
Git is not that hard, specially if you use their software to make the commits.

I use http://www.git-tower.com/ as my git software and I love it. I'm not used to do it using the terminal.  :-//

I tried several times to use version control systems via GUI (perforce, git, others) and found it to be very confusing compare command line. Not sure why. The screenshot in the above link looks to me more complex than 'git st' or 'git dt --cached'. That's subjective of course.

I do like GUI based IDEs and such.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 02:55:18 am »
forgot i made this thread...

For the most part the files get updated as a set... or as needed.

For those who "git or 'go home", are there any good tutorials?

I'll think about the others mentioned...

I primarily use arch linux, but I do all my arduino stuff (via codevisionAVR in C) on windows.

I can't ethically pay somebody as it's for college and If it's a skill worth learning, I'll learn it before I even consider farming it out.

Offline Medo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 04:43:40 am »
Try BitBucket (https://bitbucket.org/). There you can use Mercurial source control. Has pretty much the same functionality as git (distributed, fast, easy branching, ...) but it has really good Windows interface (TortoiseHg) and it just feels (at least to me) more friendly.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 04:49:21 am »
I primarily use arch linux

Hooray, fellow Arch users! ^-^

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 06:24:21 am »
I use Google sites.

You can create pages as file cabinets, drop a zip of your project in there and it's available to the world.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 04:48:32 pm »
I primarily use arch linux

Hooray, fellow Arch users! ^-^

I run it on almost all of my systems... but I use gnome 3 (which will get me hate I know)... Best linux I've ever used (after installing aura, that is).

...back on topic...

side note- I'm not of a web design background... if I need to learn HTML again, then I will... but if not, then I'd like to stick to what my specialty is.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf