Author Topic: PCB based B-Field Probe.  (Read 10408 times)

Offline varnoTopic starter

PCB based B-Field Probe.
« on: April 27, 2014, 12:00:40 pm »
I was talking to a mate over the weekend, and the idea came up that a B-field probe based on a 4-layer PCB might be a cool and inexpensive tool. So, I designed a one in a couple of different sizes. Is anyone else interested in me posting the design files?

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
Re: PCB based B-Field Probe.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:01:35 am »
Sure just post them.  It's hard to know if I'm interested until I see it  :)

If you're going to, lots of people will be grateful if you put up a PDF or images as well as the design files since everyone uses different EDA packages.

Do you have any measurements against known sources (or compared to known probes) to calibrate the design?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:00:41 am »
Another idea:
http://www.hpe.ee.ethz.ch/uploads/tx_ethpublications/Rogowski_Coil_02.pdf

A Rogowski is for sensing current (the air-cored coil feeds an integrator circuit to produce a signal representative of the enclosed current), but the same idea applies if you're looking to make a spiral or multilayer (external rather than enclosed field) planar coil, transformer or sensor.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:30:23 am »
Another idea:
http://www.hpe.ee.ethz.ch/uploads/tx_ethpublications/Rogowski_Coil_02.pdf

A Rogowski is for sensing current (the air-cored coil feeds an integrator circuit to produce a signal representative of the enclosed current), but the same idea applies if you're looking to make a spiral or multilayer (external rather than enclosed field) planar coil, transformer or sensor.

Tim

I saw a similar paper and it looked really interesting so for my next PCB order I'm ordering this (hard to see but its a 4-layer rogowski):

Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline varnoTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:54:55 pm »
Here is the pdf design, I am having trouble posting the altium files. The trace is a shorted loop of grounded 50 ohm stripline on the 4-layer oshpark stackup. this design has a 1cm loop diameter. I am going to order them some time this week, i have a split coax that I could do some measurements with however I am not sure how to do the calibrations.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:58:16 pm by varno »

Offline eecook

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 03:58:39 am »
Hi Varno,

Just wanted to check on the status of the project. Do you have any results you might want to share?

Simon.
Nullius in verba

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 05:22:31 am »
eecook, varno has not been online since september 2017, you may have better luck sending him a private message, Dago however was online just a few days ago

Equally interested in this, these designs seem quite painful to layout in most packages

The following users thanked this post: eecook

Offline eecook

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 09:46:41 pm »
eecook, varno has not been online since september 2017, you may have better luck sending him a private message, Dago however was online just a few days ago

Equally interested in this, these designs seem quite painful to layout in most packages

I found this... http://www.ti.com/tool/TIDA-01063
It has Altium files and all.
Nullius in verba

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 05:17:31 am »
I would love to know how that rogawski coil turns out. Winding one is ridiculous. A PCB based one would be good if on a 4 layer board with two shields, so you can cut it out and stick copper tape on the seam

that is like 1000$ otherwise. I have threads about them, they are evil bastards.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:19:09 am by CopperCone »

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 11:58:36 pm »
I looked at the schematic more carefully. It does not have a feedback winding around the inside.

How well does this work etched? Why does it have 4 layers (unconnected shield?). I mean the one in the JPG not that one someone designed and posted the PDF for ( I don't like the design of using the PCB as a stick. I would also like to make it so it has the R+C||R on the PCB right against the probe.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:01:47 am by CopperCone »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 10:21:46 pm »
anyone got any progress?

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 11:34:11 pm »
Watching with interest  :popcorn:

The other day I thought it would be handy to have a grid dip meter to look for resonances on PCBs.
As I don't have a dip meter and past attempts at building solid state ones were not all that successful I've decided to build a tube one. Besides, those who have used tube dip meters say they are the most sensitive. I have a few sub-miniature "pencil" 5718 triodes and a few 5702 pentodes so they should be good for UHF if I need it. Going to go for the classic Colpitts arrangement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf