Author Topic: Publishing a open source hardware/software project in the web  (Read 4372 times)

Offline 0xdeadbeefTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Publishing a open source hardware/software project in the web
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:57:39 am »
I have a little project I worked on the last year or so now and then and that consists of hardware (schematics, PCB, panel designs, circuit descriptions, build instructions), some PC software and microcontroller software.
In the past, I mainly published free or open source software projects and usually created the webpages manually and added links to subversion archives for the sources.

Now I wonder what would be a proper, easy and hassle-free way to release a project that consists of more than source code. E.g. it seems to be a good idea to also put the schematics, PCB files, SVG files for the panels etc. into some kind of revision archive. Also maybe it would make sense to use some kind of blog or wiki software to create the description stuff.

So any hints how to proceed? How do you guys publish your open hardware/software stuff?
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Publishing a open source hardware/software project in the web
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:13:26 am »
I'm not sure, if I only write the obvious, but http://sourceforge.net/ and http://code.google.com/ are good location.

Offline miceuz

• Frequent Contributor
    • chirp - a soil moisture meter / plant watering alarm
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 09:55:07 pm »
I usually put everything on github https://github.com/Miceuz

BTW github allows you to create a custom webpage for your project if you want to. On the other hand - markdown syntax to a readme file is an easy and lightweight way to documents stuff too.

Offline moemoe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 01:27:49 pm »
I also prefer github, they have a good UI so most people easily can download and show single files.

I wrote a little script for eagle to export schematics and pcb images upon git commit so that they can be easily viewed.
https://github.com/maugsburger/
Breadboard Adapters featured in EEVBlog #573 on Tindie

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:36:17 pm »
From the does mentioned above i would use github. It is very refined. You will need to learn git and install on your computer. Git is not the easiest version control system but is mainstream and works well once you get the hang of it and your files will be version controlled, big plus.

A simpler approach is dropbox. Almost zero learning, you put the files in the 'public' directory or share a link.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 03:50:26 pm »
+1 for github.

It depends a bit on your project though. For example for sharing altium stuff I'd use <insert_favorite_svn_repo_here>, because subversion integration is acceptable in altium. But for generic code, github it is.

As for dropbox ... forget dropbox. :P Unless of course you just want to dump a crapload of binaries, and don't need versioning. Or if you only want to distribute a zip/tgz of stable versions...

Offline 0xdeadbeefTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:18:46 pm »
I'm already kinda convinced to use Github. Created the account, installed the SW already some weeks ago.
Unfortunately, meanwhile I decided to add several featured in the SW and if I'm finished with that, I need to polish everything, write some documentation etc.
So the question where and how to release all the stuff has somewhat moved in the (hopefully not too) distant future ;)
But thanks for all of your replies anyway.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:24 pm »
Bitbucked and Lauchpad are alternatives.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf