Author Topic: The TangiBot 3D Printer, a clone of Makerbot Replicator  (Read 30520 times)

Offline bxsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
The TangiBot 3D Printer, a clone of Makerbot Replicator
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:25:12 pm »
So look here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2117793364/the-tangibot-3d-printer-the-affordable-makerbot-re

The TangiBot is a Makerbot Replicator clone. The same performance and features of The Replicator at a roughly 33% discount.
(...)
What is a TangiBot?

The TangiBot is a Makerbot Replicator clone. It offers the same great performance and features of the Makerbot Replicator but it costs roughly 2/3 what Makerbot charges you for it.  Depending on the model you buy that is anywhere from $550-700 off! TangiBot is 100% compatible with all Makerbot Replicator firmware upgrades, parts and accessories. The only difference between the TangiBot and the Makerbot Replicator is that the TangiBot is NOT made by Makerbot.

For what I see, it's a pure clone, except logos etc

We knew this would happen, but a pure clone without something new or better other than price?

I think is a little sad...

And they are even worried that it will not be 100% equal to Makerbot:
Please keep in mind that the TangiBot and The Replicator might differ slightly in appearance due to a difference in suppliers. For example, the wires clips might be a different shape or color.

I don't have more words.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:30:54 pm by bxs »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: The TangiBot 3D Printer, a clone of Makerbot Replicator
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:54:48 pm »
Interesting... It seems to me the guy is mad at Makerbot for some reason, as his only proposed advantage is price.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline gregariz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:14:19 pm »
I think if you look closely he may be offering an option of a kit/or have non commercial interests.

My understanding is that Makerbot was set up to commercialize some of the work that had been done previously by the RepRap guys some years back. Makerbot then smartly produced their own take on the reprap kit and then raised millions in private funding. People were then concerned that this startup funding would then lead to either a) discontinuing the kit idea (like what reprap had introduced) or b) an expensive 3d printer.

Looking on the makerbot site today it looks to me like I can no longer buy a kit, rather a prebuilt machine, of course which is more expensive than a kit. My understanding is also that Adrian Bowyer didnt make anything like the kind of money Makerbot made out of the idea that he essentially gave birth to. Not that there is anything wrong with that but its fair play for anyone else to also take the same ideas and build on them.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:28:29 pm by gregariz »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:58:31 pm »
I don't think they stand any chance of getting anywhere near their funding target.
Their market is limited to  the people who have not already got a MB or similar, and for whom the price difference is the reason, and who trust them to deliver something useable.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline gregariz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:08:42 pm »
I don't think they stand any chance of getting anywhere near their funding target.
Their market is limited to  the people who have not already got a MB or similar, and for whom the price difference is the reason, and who trust them to deliver something useable.

I agree. I saw it and it made me wonder if he needs that level of funding, or if that's what he thought he could get.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:52:28 pm »
Some competition is always good. Aren't there any Chinese Makerbot clones?

A 3D printer appeals to me for educating my kids and creating useful parts but I'm wondering how good the results are.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 02:28:23 am »
There is an unwritten rule in the OSHW industry, that comes from way back in the magazine projects days (which was mostly OSHW, without the new label).
And that is, you do not compete against the original designer, with your only differentiator being price and undercutting them.
You have to offer something different. An improvement on the design, a different housing or form factor, a niche change, or something...
You do not just clone and undercut as your main differentiator, even though you have the legal right to do so.

Poor form I think.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 02:30:44 am »

and wait at least 4 months after handing over your money.
Makerbot had similar lead time issues, but it wasn't nearly that long.
The market can change a lot in 4 months...

Dave.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 05:56:14 am »
Is there available a Replicator with acrylic skeleton? Is this the only difference?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 06:18:26 am »
Is there available a Replicator with acrylic skeleton? Is this the only difference?

You have to pay extra for that, otherwise it's identical to the Replicator.
In any case, changing the case from wood to acrylic is not really changing or improving the design in any way, it's still a direct clone.

Dave.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 06:30:11 am »
No one will bother. I am guessing they will keep asking for a smaller target on kickstarter until they succeed. 

They could at least claim "new cryogenic treated drive belts", "radiation hardened mcu", "special lubricant made from distiled unoptanium on the drive axles", e.t.c.  :P :P :P :P :P

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 09:16:49 am »
There is an unwritten rule in the OSHW industry, that comes from way back in the magazine projects days (which was mostly OSHW, without the new label).
And that is, you do not compete against the original designer, with your only differentiator being price and undercutting them.
You have to offer something different. An improvement on the design, a different housing or form factor, a niche change, or something...
You do not just clone and undercut as your main differentiator, even though you have the legal right to do so.

Poor form I think.

Dave.
At the least, I think it would be good if they incorporated all the fixes suggested in your review and the follow-up discussion thread, even if they need to increase the price slightly.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 10:08:45 am »
Phil Torrone (Adafruit) is a backer, but has some good points here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2117793364/the-tangibot-3d-printer-the-affordable-makerbot-re/comments

Dave.

Offline dda

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 10:24:00 am »
From the tone of Phils questions I assumed he paid a buck just so hee could write on their comments section. (only for backers)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 10:49:42 am »
From the tone of Phils questions I assumed he paid a buck just so hee could write on their comments section. (only for backers)

I think so, as did Akiba from FreakLabs
They don't pay a cent if it doesn't get funded though!

Dave.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 02:12:25 pm »

You have to pay extra for that, otherwise it's identical to the Replicator.
In any case, changing the case from wood to acrylic is not really changing or improving the design in any way, it's still a direct clone.
I disagree. Being able to put something together cheaper is also innovation. 15 years ago my first HP laserprinter (professional grade) cost me approx. €1200. Last year I bought a new professional grade HP laserprinter for €200. Not only is it cheaper but it has a several neat features like double-sided printing and a network interface.

IMHO it is a good thing that people try to market quality 3D printers for lower prices. Once they become affordable for the big masses the prices will get lower and the number of features will go through the roof. I bet that within a few years someone will come up with a way to print using aluminium or even steel.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 04:14:28 pm »
Look on the back cover and you will know why it became so cheap ... "MADE IN CHINA"

Offline tramjoe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 07:20:26 pm »
Look on the back cover and you will know why it became so cheap ... "MADE IN CHINA"

So what ?

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 07:42:47 pm »

So what ?

Poor quality ensues, planned obsolescence

Offline tramjoe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 08:29:43 pm »

So what ?

I will not even try to argue about this, apparently you're one of those guys who still have not understood that "made in china" means nothing. Apple products are made in China, so are most cheapos low-end computers, and they are not the same thing. To reuse one of Dave's favorite expressions, this is really an attitude that ticks me off.

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »
Poor form, probably. Legal, certainly. But I think it's moot.

I'd bet that well before Christmas 2013 some "Shine Happy Lucky Joy Light up your Butt" Chinese company will have a total clone, with a nice molded plastic covers, and a better option than plywood for a chassis, on the market for well under $1K.

(I'd also bet heavy against the guy reaching his $500K goal)
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 09:28:42 pm »
I hope so. I'd probably buy one at such a price level.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 09:47:41 pm »
Poor form, probably. Legal, certainly. But I think it's moot.

I'd bet that well before Christmas 2013 some "Shine Happy Lucky Joy Light up your Butt" Chinese company will have a total clone, with a nice molded plastic covers, and a better option than plywood for a chassis, on the market for well under $1K.

And it will 'not quite' work without extensive fiddling, and come with a piss-poor, unsafe power supply covered with fake approvals marks.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 09:53:55 pm »
And it will 'not quite' work without extensive fiddling, and come with a piss-poor, unsafe power supply covered with fake approvals marks.

I didn't say it would be worth a shit.
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Offline Rick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 10:52:24 pm »

So what ?

Many countries started up like the Chinese. The Chinese only imitated them. In 1950's a Japanese product meant cheap, bad quality product. Then Korea followed the example, then Taiwan. Is a Japanese product a bad quality one today?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf