Author Topic: TS100 not working  (Read 7665 times)

Offline octopus1Topic starter

TS100 not working
« on: February 15, 2021, 07:20:05 pm »
Hello all,

I recently got and received a ts100 soldering iron after my old china non adjustable iron broke. However after plugging the iron into a 18v supply it does not want to corporate. After pressing the A key it will briefly show the temperature but then immediately go back to the press A message. It will then ramp up to 500 degrees without any input from me and I can not control it. This problem seems to persist even after re-flashing the software. Any body who has had this problem or can help I would much appreciate  :).

Offline octopus1Topic starter

Re: TS100 not working
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 04:35:26 am »
quick update, got the software working but it seems like the tip heats up to full temp regardless what I do and glows red even when set to 50c.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 05:54:56 pm »
quick update, got the software working but it seems like the tip heats up to full temp regardless what I do and glows red even when set to 50c.

Sounds like a temperature feed back issue.   Makes me wonder if the controller has open or short, T/C detection. 

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 11:15:39 am »
Once the tip get that hot it probably is kaput. The heater may still work, but there is no guarantee of sensible temperature measurement.

The original fault may have been in a faulty temperature feedback, such as a shorted resistor on the PCB, so also check for that.

In the beginning of 3D printers, a common fault was that a lot of stringy plastic pulled out the temperature sensor of the "hot end", which caused the "hot end" to be full on, overheat and cause fires. Then somebody got smart and added a check if the power input to the heater resulted in reasonable temperature change feedback from the thermometer, and if the feedback does not make sense, it just shuts everything off and goes into alarm mode.

Does the TS100 have firmware that does this?

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 07:07:34 pm »
It sounds more like a shorted Mosfet to me - the gate control from the micro is AC coupled, so it can't turn the Mosfet hard on if it hangs. I'm sure it must have a maximum duty cycle limitation in F/W so the fault is probably outside its control.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 07:09:49 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline pitpat

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 08:57:54 pm »
Since you may want to replace your ts100... may i interest you with the pine64 Pinecil?  >:D Totally a killer!! It has the same shape of the beloved ts100 with a 32-bit RISC-V heart <3
https://pine64.com/product/pinecil-smart-mini-portable-soldering-iron/?v=0446c16e2e66

Offline illiac4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 04:36:14 am »
This is 100% broken mosfet. I have already repair few.
Check this video.
Mosfet is less than a 1usd and it is not hard to fix.

And also check the resistance of you tip if the tip is the cause for shorting the mosfet.

The following users thanked this post: syau, pstimpel

Offline ElektroHS

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 04:22:36 pm »
If you have buyer protection, then just return/replace this TS100.  It doesn't worth to fix yourself. It's a pity sometimes this problem happens with TS80/TS100...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf