Author Topic: Electronic Resources - YouTube - Websites  (Read 188836 times)

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: List Of Electronics Youtubers - Comprehensive Lists
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2017, 02:45:25 pm »
Is it inappropriate to plug my own channel and ask if you could add my channel ? https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim
.......I also have a lot of voltnut stuff.
You said the right word - voltnut. OK, I subscribed  :)   Let's see if I get enough time over the holidays to view some...

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2017, 08:19:35 am »
Is it inappropriate to plug my own channel and ask if you could add my channel ? https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim

My work (and hobby) is repairing measurement and calibration gear. But also some automotive and industrial electronics. Mostly the older not longer supported (but often expensive) gear without any documentation.
Nope, plug your own channel. Change your eevblog signature while your at it also to plug.

Older stuff is the best, some of my best video are the older equiptment. Then other things also unexpected like a screw driver Review for an iFixit kit, go figure. I never did a video on the Keithly PicoMeter find and repair, but I should have. I still may one day when I have time. In fact, Dave has one like mine but mine has an extra add on that explains those extra ground clips Dave wasn’t sure why it had them.like you said, no documentation so the more videos, the more other know about this stuff.
And usualy when repaired, and calibrated again they run like a tank and dint drift anymore because of the age. I love that no drifting part once those older wire wound resistors settle down over 10 to 15 years of use.
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 05:24:21 pm by NiHaoMike »
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2017, 06:37:46 pm »
I'm surprised a show as big as AvE was missed..
We had AvE on at one point, but I think Dave and a general consensus narrowed this down and away from machinist videos and even away from general maker/3D printer stuff. I think it would be fair to say there's enough in just electronics to keep this growing list on focus. I'm not saying 3D-p does not apply, we do have some listed, but few ever coach on details as applied to electronics (eg: steppers, drivers, and maintenance).

On some of the items just listed, I'll say this: In the last 20-years there has been enough techno-trash filling our landfills (and personal garages..) that there's a whole bunch of channels that look like electronics channels at fist glance, but are not. Channels with tons of tear downs (which, if I'm not mistaken were practically coined by Dave), are a dime a dozen now, but most are without demonstrable application of theory. The thing we need to ask is, "what can be learned and replicated here?"

I'll reserve comment on the refrigeration and power invertor guys (others may give some opinion), but Simone by her own admission "as a non-engineer, shitty robot expert", looks as though it's a popularity channel with average video lengths between 5-7 minutes with plenty of cute face shots. Just my opinion, but Rinoa Super-Genius (a bit weird) rambles on too much dragging stuff through the dirt and mud around her backyard and collecting junk and veering off to other topics. I was subscribed to the channel for a year or so, until I saw enough monotonic rambling over junk to nip that one too.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2017, 08:36:36 pm »
Maybe we should have separate lists for videos that aren't really DIY electronics, but are likely to be of interest to many electronics hobbyists?

I would say that knurlgnar24 is definitely the most comprehensive resource I have some across when it comes to power inverters. Besides the sheer number of different inverters taken apart and tested, there's also quite a few videos of how to repair and modify inverters.
I would also say that subcooledheatpump definitely fits into the DIY electronics list because there are a new series of videos that are about power electronics.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2017, 09:39:24 pm »
Maybe we should have separate lists for videos that aren't really DIY electronics, but are likely to be of interest to many electronics hobbyists?
You're right, that's what EZ24 (Roger) has quietly been trying to get us to do. See some of his efforts:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/oscilloscope-youtube-video-channels-my-pick-of-the-best-do-you-know-any/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/list-of-electronics-youtubers-suggested-viewing/

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2017, 02:51:20 am »

Dave said such a list can be posted here, it just needs someone to make and maintain it.  One list is enough for me.  I would love to see such a list and I think it would be more popular than this one.  With Brumby's spreadsheet it would not be difficult.

Any volunteers ?

The steps I do are:

- Copy the YT name and Paste Special it into the spreadsheet.
- Copy the URL and paste it
- Look at the sub number and type it in
- Read "About" and copy anything useful and paste it under Additional Information
- Make a guess about General Content and type it in
- If needed, copy forum member name and Paste Special it in

About every week or so, I copy the data (two times) from the spreadsheet and paste it here to upload it.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2017, 04:37:50 am »
Roger and everyone, Merry Christmas you ole workaholic's!  :popcorn: 

Offline Prehistoricman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2017, 12:41:26 pm »
microwavemont

He's done many EE videos and makes his own boards. Lots of audio-related stuff here too. Occasionally a video about guinea pigs too.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2017, 01:59:36 am »
I'm surprised a show as big as AvE was missed..
We had AvE on at one point, but I think Dave and a general consensus narrowed this down and away from machinist videos and even away from general maker/3D printer stuff. I think it would be fair to say there's enough in just electronics to keep this growing list on focus. I'm not saying 3D-p does not apply, we do have some listed, but few ever coach on details as applied to electronics (eg: steppers, drivers, and maintenance).

On some of the items just listed, I'll say this: In the last 20-years there has been enough techno-trash filling our landfills (and personal garages..) that there's a whole bunch of channels that look like electronics channels at fist glance, but are not. Channels with tons of tear downs (which, if I'm not mistaken were practically coined by Dave), are a dime a dozen now, but most are without demonstrable application of theory. The thing we need to ask is, "what can be learned and replicated here?"

I'll reserve comment on the refrigeration and power invertor guys (others may give some opinion), but Simone by her own admission "as a non-engineer, shitty robot expert", looks as though it's a popularity channel with average video lengths between 5-7 minutes with plenty of cute face shots. Just my opinion, but Rinoa Super-Genius (a bit weird) rambles on too much dragging stuff through the dirt and mud around her backyard and collecting junk and veering off to other topics. I was subscribed to the channel for a year or so, until I saw enough monotonic rambling over junk to nip that one too.

I’m back, sorry was busy for the holidays. I feel like I can add to this conversation, but also being a creator I feel like if I express my opinion then people may take this as I am trying to keep other channels off the list.
So yea, this is a hard question. Should I add my thoughts or not?

On the other hand I will speak on 3D printers, and I guess this goes into a general topic of everything can be electronics, but their maybe should be sub categories or a more defined definition of the list.
I feel like I can say 3D printer are a separate topic being one of the people that was heavily involved with the CoreXY printer design after Makerbot was bought out by Stratasys. This took away the most popular open source design on the market.
Also, I should note I have another channel that is for 3D printing, so even I keep these separate.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrScottJD
UPDATE: As I reviewed Cliffs comments on 3D printers, I realized my 3D printer channel does fit the list definition of maintenance, upgrades, steppers and stuff. But please DO NOT add this one to the list.

I stopped printing and stop building printers when I fell ill, it can be a fire hazard if you can not stay awake for the whole print that’s 1 to 12 hours, or longer. So you will see I still support the channel, answer questions but don’t post any new videos and never posted my CoreXY builds. I f I kept it up I’m sure it would be bigger then my Gadget channel by now. I even have a different channel of random, RC Cars, 116yr old edison phonograph that I fixed and restored, antiques that I sometimes work on like old clocks. But they are all separate channels for a reason. If the Edison phonograph was electronic then maybe I would put some of those videos on the Gadget channel (despite using the same governor design in some modern car transmissions today and makes you wonder how much has really changed over a 100 years?)

So yes, a lot of things can be considered electronics, but maybe should be more specific like 3D printers. Even car mechanics use DMM’s, oscilloscopes and other equiptment like a electronic hobbyist , but that doesn’t mean they should be on the list as well.

Even at my own admission my channel isn’t all electronics and has a mix of reviews, I try to keep them Gadget electronic reviews. I’m working on more lithium battery stuff and built a separate bench for this in a cold basement for safety reason, but isn’t the best video or audio with a furnace running. A car camera dash Review coming up, but the difference is I want to tear it down also with batteries in car cams that don’t like the heat or cold. This one uses a 5.4V super cap to finish writing the footer of the last video file before shutting off.
And I need to get back to more tear downs and repairs, maybe review the Gadget in one video, then tear it down in another? But I don’t buy stuff just for the channel, I buy it for me and just happen to do reviews on things I use and would recommend. Becuase my channel started with me taking the  electronics hobby to the next level and buying new stuff, building a lab, and reviewing this equiptment, youtube has thrown my channel in with big clive, eevblog, and others as a recommended channel despite the name of the channel.

So my channel is a slight mix, but these days to run a channel with just one topic, one category would be hard to keep making new content unless your recording your work day of electronics repair and already do it 40 hours a week. Without some variety the channel would be the same thing over and over and people might get board of that. I think it’s safe to say that maybe even Dave has a hard time now with over 1,000 of videos not repeating content that he has already done.

Scott
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline Arnþór

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2017, 06:09:25 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/user/kevtris FPGA stuff, old console mods and stuff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzlXwR8hC2cY2r_TbME3ORw A russian pc repair channel. It's interesting because they do sorts of repairs I've never seen anyone else do. Maybe not fit for the list but I hope someone gets a kick out of it :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/mverdiell/videos repairs old mainframe stuff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJTrnevHaK73BbOxfteY5Gw tv repairs, has been inactive
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvsMfEoIu_ZdBIgQVcY_AZA advanced ESP32 stuff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC75HTMhqVZs0sPOMTMQqI9g arduino esp home automation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_qnstrfqLzopNGSWP5lOng analog wizard, One of the main designers of the htc vive
https://www.youtube.com/user/tronixstuff/videos misc microcontrollers

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:12:00 pm by Arnþór »

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, ez24, Scottjd

Offline rckanta

• Contributor
    • http://www.fimage.ml/

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, ez24

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2018, 12:52:07 am »
My first reaction is one of concern - that you might be heading into an overload condition.  Having said that, though, I can only applaud your efforts.

We can certainly put together a new worksheet setup for this - which can be either additional sheets in the current workbook (which keeps it all together), or a new workbook altogether (which keeps the different information separated, avoiding confusion).  I'll let you mull over that.

I will also let you spend a little more time putting data together, in case you want to change the columns at all.  This will also be an opportunity for any other ideas people might want to put forward (plus I have some catch-up on a few things that suffered over the Christmas break).

I noticed, too, that there are some entries that look like they have several links on different lines.  If this is how you envisage the data being presented, then I will need to know - but if it is just a temporary state while the data is being collated, then that's fine.

It can be done.  We just need to define the "how".

Offline JustSquareEnough

• Supporter
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2018, 04:23:07 pm »
stumbled across this one today, that i didnt see on the list.

jrmElectronics: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62ilrwL-dKxACo_AuKYwGA/feed

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2018, 11:30:30 pm »
I am concerned the inclusion of websites might take us down a rabbit hole (deeper than where we currently are).  Do we have any eligibility criteria or other means in mind to vet the quality of the content included?

Offline LytraX

Re: Electronic Resources - YouTube - Websites
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2018, 07:01:18 pm »
Hello and Happy New Year!

I have recently started a YT vlog and it only has 2 videos and just 6 subscribers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq5jgZzTq1trxr4JNqq1zpQ/

I hope to be active and upload quality content often.

I would like to see it in the list if there are no minimum requirements.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:04:26 pm by LytraX »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2018, 12:18:06 am »
What do you think about deleting YTers that do not have a Playlist?  There are a few of them.

Is not having a playlist grounds for removal?

My concern would be some good material is excluded based on a metric that has no direct relationship with the quality of the content.... or is there some correlation of which I am not aware?

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2018, 04:12:48 am »
What do you think about deleting YTers that do not have a Playlist?  There are a few of them.

Is not having a playlist grounds for removal?

My concern would be some good material is excluded based on a metric that has no direct relationship with the quality of the content.... or is there some correlation of which I am not aware?

I wondered the same. I don’t domoaylosts, but I think I have one. I’m not even sure. I spend enough time editing and posting videos to manage different playlist would add to the time spent on something I do as part of my hobby. It’s not like I get paid or I’m sponsored in any way, I’m usually trying to find way to save time on editing so I can produce more content. I don’t want to add to the time this already takes to manage playlists also.
Thanks,
Scott

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2018, 05:41:27 am »
I don’t want to add to the time this already takes to manage playlists also.
Thanks,
Scott

The only thing Playlists do is help the viewers, unfortunately it takes time for the YTer.  Sometimes I feel that if the poster does not give a shit about their viewer, I do not give a shit about them or their video.  Sometimes I do not think (a problem of ageing).  :-DD

Understood on the not thinking part, ageing and exhaustion for me.
It’s not that I don’t care, I reply to every comment, or most at least above 97% I think. Even have done Skype calls around the world helping people fix their microscopes and stuff. It’s one of the reasons I do the channel to meet and help people when I can. Someday I’ll sort them out into playlists, but it doesn’t mean the creator doesn’t care if they don’t have them. If I do a video series on one topic over 6 videos then I would do a playlist for that series. But I don’t think I’ve done a series yet.
The real time is in the editing, I wish I could hire someone to do that part but they would also need to understand the point of the video to be able to edit it. I have 6 videos that could go live if I don’t edit them, but then again they are all 50 minutes to over an hour long and no one wants to watch that much of me babbling on.  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2018, 07:43:56 am »
Someday I’ll sort them out into playlists, but it doesn’t mean the creator doesn’t care if they don’t have them.
This illustrates my point.

Interpreting a lack of a playlist as a lack of interest in their audience is not well reasoned.  If the creator was that indifferent, they wouldn't care about producing decent material.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, ez24

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
Re: Electronics Resources - YouTube - Websites
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2018, 11:05:21 pm »
Oops! Here's my 1000th post in two years on the forum and I must confess I've let a very superb channel (100+ videos) slip through the cracks:
Ralph S Bacon - 6,782 subs https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Ob-HnnmhlgSv5Vs_i32TQ/videos
ESP, and Arduino projects
in an easy to digest format. Definitely has eloquence and good command of presentation flow.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2018, 12:35:09 am »
You get a prize for 1,000 posts? Now I need to post just so I can see how many I have.
The bad part is most of mine I think are handing the tEquipment.net discount code.
Then I miss an email or it gets spammed, and then I don’t get notified, then I forget about the thread, then I return at some point when I remember.

Nope, 324 posts, I have a long way to go.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2018, 12:47:51 am »
Oops! Here's my 1000th post in two years on the forum and I must confess I've let a very superb channel (100+ videos) slip through the cracks:

Congratulations on 1,000 posts - I will add the links in the next upload
Did you get to the Caribbean this year?
Thanks! No visits southward yet  :( the extra coin for that will have wait more.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2018, 04:35:41 pm »
Member TonyG's channel tgsoapbox has changed in the last year (majority of content is test equipment repair).
He has submitted a playlist on another thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/announcement-guest-videos-request/msg1403654/#msg1403654
We have his channel description as "Personal projects in the IoT space" but it should be "test equipmet teardown and repair"

Note: His content is so good that it's a pity he's still under 1k subs (so I guess YT will cut any revenue for all his hard work..  >:( )
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:16:27 pm by Cliff Matthews »

The following users thanked this post: ez24, Tony_G

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
  • Making Youtube Videos on ESP8266
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2018, 03:16:54 pm »
If it's ok, the description of my channel (Brian Lough) is misc, but something like Arduino would probably be closer to what it was.

I think I had some live streams recording of a making a guitar pedal when I first added the channel here, I've since tidied it up to reflect my usual content

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf