Author Topic: Benchtop Vacuum Vise Review  (Read 5493 times)

Offline made2hackTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack
Benchtop Vacuum Vise Review
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:11:51 pm »
Hello all,

A quick review of a vacuum vise I picked up for cheap.

https://youtu.be/w-D3dPjPxS0

The following users thanked this post: biot

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Benchtop Vacuum Vise Review
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:14:11 am »
Does nobody recommend wetting the pad before operating the suction lever these days?

Aldi sold this (or something very much like this) - and a clamp version - in Australia a couple of times over the last few years.  I bought the clamp version one, because my work area does have a slight texture in the surface finish - and I expected problems with a vacuum base ... exactly as depicted in this video.

Having said that, this is an excellent example of the performance one could expect from any vacuum hold product used on various surfaces.

The following users thanked this post: made2hack

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:24:21 am »
Thanks for the recommendation. It was not anywhere mentioned in the instructions.

I will have to try it because it seems a bit limited to only use it on specific surfaces, seems kind of a waste.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 05:07:43 pm »
The type of surface is, I'm afraid, a limiting factor.

It requires an airtight seal for the full clamping pressure to be maintained and this depends on the surface texture and the ability for the suction pad to conform.  When I saw you pull out the sheet of glass, I knew that if the suction mechanism and pad were half-decent, you would have been able to do chin-ups on it.

Moistening the pad allows for a better seal by filling some of the very small gaps with a liquid that is far more viscous than air which, at microscopic dimensions, provides enough of a barrier to prevent air getting into the vacuum space.  It may provide a long term seal - or it may just give you enough for a reasonable work time.

But it still comes down to the type of surface as a limiting factor.  (This is why I bought the table clamp version.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:09:57 pm by Brumby »

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:16:16 pm »
I have one of those, it doesn't keep the vacuum long enough even if you stick it on clean glass. The lowest speccle or dust or whatever, and it becomes unusable.

Highly NOT recommended as a sticking device. It sticks only for a couple of seconds, maybe minutes in very clean conditions only, and even then it doesn't feel well anchored, it's kind of flimsy.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 05:27:12 pm »
As you have said, dirt and dust provide gaps that air can pass through, so cleanliness is important.

The other thing is that the suction pad itself needs to be soft and supple enough to conform, but strong enough to support.  Over time, they can harden which reduces their ability to conform - and there is always the risk of damage to the pad.  Whether it's to the sealing surface or anywhere else where air may find its way in, any air leak spells "fail".

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
I have the version  vice with table screw, bought on Lidl. My opinion, chinese made crap with german signature(Although you wear the monkey with silk, it follows being monkey).

A quickie review of the pitfails:
The clamps are  maladjusted and twisted, you can observe when you close the vice(almost 5 mm). Therefore, when you going to grab something ,it always wil be twisted.
The screw and the pivot when they are on moved  ,they generated metal chips.

Upgrades and enhacements :

With the maladjusted clamp , i put a pair the tin strips(aluminium) into guide's clamp for trying to level, it still observes  a low twisted
For  avoiding the weathering of pivot or screw versus cast , i use bee wax.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 05:03:27 pm »
Does nobody recommend wetting the pad before operating the suction lever these days?

Just wanted to say that I tried that and it makes A HUGE DIFFERENCE. On my plywood surface, the grip after spraying a little water was phenomenal. As well as on my cutting mat.
No change on the ESD mat as that is much to porous.

Thanks @Brumby!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 07:51:11 am »
You're welcome.

But, in truth, it's a rather old piece of information that i just happened to present first.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 07:11:41 pm »
These are sold at Aldi in Australia under the workzone brand in February as a special item. They were $14.99 when I got my two, they also have the table edge clamp models. The UK Aldi post is here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/(uk)-mini-vice-at-aldi-from-5th-feb/

I find for small jobs, connectors and pcbs etc you don't need to clamp the suction cup down, there is enough weight to hold. But for larger jobs or if it was off balance my idea was to run a bolt through the base into a board (making it very hard to tip over) or some way of strapping or locking the base to a board.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 03:22:50 am »
Get a piece of board with a smooth, gloss finish laminate on one side and just use the suction mechanism ... with a spritz of water.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:33:34 am by Brumby »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 03:33:12 am »
Oh, and the next time these come around, I'm getting a suction pad version.

The table clamp version is certainly easy to be firmly fitted - but it it limited to the edge of the table top (or someplace with a suitable hole).  Since I'm not ready to put that sort of a hole in my bench/desk, I am currently limited to the edge.  This proves unworkable when I want to use it to hold objects for soldering.

The suction version can be placed anywhere and its weight will be quite adequate for things to stay in place for a lot of little work.  It is also easier to spin around if you want a different angle - just lift and turn.  With a clamping system you have to undo, reposition and retighten.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 05:44:14 am »
Yeah same I got the suction ones because the bench one has positional problems as well. I'm not sold on the suction ability at all though I checked it out in-store and thought well this is going to be stable enough without it needing it.

If I can't set something up in about 5 seconds flat I'm not happy with it, with two I can have one semi permanently mounted if I desire.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 07:14:01 am »
I have one of these although from a different supplier. I though use it mostly for holding Crimping tool for IDC connectors and offers a speedy bulk termination. I fortunately have a good flat bench top but even then the suction is not the best and releases after a while.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 07:23:39 pm »
I have one of the Lidl table edge clamping models and can't fault it for holding stuff at the price. The ball joint clamping is good and a little grease lubrication improves it no end.

Regarding the vacuum base one, surely the simplest answer is to scrap the rubber suction parts and just drill and screw it to a piece of wood or MDF. That ought to a be a stable, no-nonsense solution for most basic workholding needs.
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf