Author Topic: Dumpster diving/share your treasures  (Read 10980 times)

Offline AtomicTopic starter

Dumpster diving/share your treasures
« on: July 31, 2015, 12:29:55 pm »
Just watched a bunch of EEV dumpster diving vlogs so I thought, why not have my own experience here.

So I would like to know what do you guys find from the dumpsters (electronics please) and tell if they were broken or how did u fix em. I shall share my stuff here too, please add some pictures with your posts!

Okay, so I will start with my latest stuff:

B&W 601 S2 speakers x4 - One main element was broken, so only left with 3 working speakers, gonna sell em!

ASUS Nexus 7 tablet - Works great! Has a 1 dead pixel line to the halfway of the screen that will mostly show up on white screen. It has Android 5.1.1 lollipop on it too!

PS3, CECHC04 - had YLOD and bluray drive was stuck. Fixed the YLOD with heatgun and unstuck the bluray drive. It plays PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, hurray! And it has somekind of sd card readers and 4 usb ports 

PS1 - havent tested out yet

Falcon case with intel i5 and ASUS GTX 580 - gonna build a computer for mom  ;D
(I dont have them here atm so I couldn't get pics, sorry)

Offline MrMetthew

• Regular Contributor
  • Where it all comes down to : i = c (dv/dt)
Re: Dumpster diving/share your treasures
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:36:20 pm »
Awesome! Where did you dumpsterdive?

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:52:30 am »

From our local junkyard! There is a selfservice system so you can make a little bit ''trading'' (Old stuff away, new stuff with you) :P

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:47:22 pm »
Just bagged a workbench - chuckout at work. Nice metal frame, plywood top, 1500L x 600W x 860H with metal under-shelf. VGC.  :) :D ;D

Offline MikeW

• Regular Contributor
  • Self confessed noob
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 01:01:03 pm »

From our local junkyard! There is a selfservice system so you can make a little bit ''trading'' (Old stuff away, new stuff with you) :P

My nearest recycling centre/dump won't let you take away anything electrical unfortunately  :--

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 05:29:31 pm »

My nearest recycling centre/dump won't let you take away anything electrical unfortunately  :--

ow, it's kinda stupid that they wont allow 'recycling'  :--

Offline dave_k

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 11:08:40 pm »
I just acquired 4 Tek 7000 series scopes .. a pair of 7603's and a pair of 7613's.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 11:15:17 pm »
I just acquired 4 Tek 7000 series scopes .. a pair of 7603's and a pair of 7613's.

Pics or didnt happen! Kidding, hope you could add some tho!  :-+

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 11:23:12 pm »
Just bagged a workbench - chuckout at work. Nice metal frame, plywood top, 1500L x 600W x 860H with metal under-shelf. VGC.  :) :D ;D

Pics!! :-+

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 06:46:17 pm »
treasure? lol i have no idea why i saved these from a skip today! :-DD

it was full of similar items including amps, tape decks, portable cassette players, tuners, video recorders etc... there was more possible interesting items deeper down but they were buried under a photocopier!

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 06:57:33 pm »

it was full of similar items including amps, tape decks, portable cassette players, tuners, video recorders etc... there was more possible interesting items deeper down but they were buried under a photocopier!

sweet! do they work?  :-DMM

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 10:00:43 pm »

sweet! do they work?  :-DMM

dunno, not tried them, the tuner wants 18v AC  |O, but there is a bridge rectifier and a 7812 in there so will try it on my psu

nice ps3 you have there, 1st gen with the card readers

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 03:01:40 pm »
I got a Manson P912 Power Supply... Proof here.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 01:58:05 pm »
Long time no replies, I sold the working speaker pair with 150e and got 15e from the PS1. The PS3 is now in my livingroom and working perfectly! I don't use the tablet so much so i could sell it to someone. I will try to go 'shopping' again at saturday, so we'll see if I find anything good  :scared:

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 02:57:44 pm »
University's club dumspter diving results from this year:

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 04:18:46 pm »
I don't have a picture at the moment, but I scored a working Tektronix P6139A oscilloscope probe, together with a few 50 ohm BNC-BNC cables.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Mashpriborintorg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 07:12:00 pm »
Meanwhile, in Russia, dumpster diving brings all flavours of stuff, even space-grade electronics.... http://offtop.ru/dustyattic/v1_706616__.php

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 10:52:34 pm »
A few years ago, a friend was throwing out three Samsung 21" widescreen LCD monitors at his work. I took them home and found the usual bulging caps in the power supplies. After spending $11 for Panasonic caps from Mouser and a little of my time, I had two working monitors. The third one had a bad LCD panel, so I pulled the (now repaired) power supply and controller boards to keep as spares and tossed the rest. I am still using the two repaired monitors at home to this day.

Offline Synthetase

• Regular Contributor
    • Synthetase's World of Nerd
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 06:23:00 am »
I found a 24" Dell 2407WFP monitor next to the bins in my building at work a little while ago. I grabbed it, expecting it to have bulgy PSU caps, but it didn't. Absolutely nothing wrong with it at all! No idea why they were throwing it out, but it goes very nicely with my main Dell 2408WFP :)

I also scored a couple of electrophoresis power supplies. For those who don't know electrophoresis is a technique for separating DNA molecules by size. This is typically done using high voltage. One of these power supplies was made in the late 70s and goes to over 300V. The only thing wrong? Blown mains fuse, probably due to lots of thermal cycling as there were no issues in the rest of the circuit. Great, now I have a power supply for playing with valves (tubes). I will post tear-down photos of the 70s unit on the forum at some point next year. This thing is such a beautiful piece of engineering. They don't make them like this any more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf