Author Topic: Home Automation system using MQTT and ESP8266 | IoT projects  (Read 1539 times)

Offline epyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Home Automation system using MQTT and ESP8266 | IoT projects
« on: February 20, 2020, 02:22:22 am »
In this Video We will see Home Automation system using MQTT on ESP8266. For this project we will be using Adafruit.io mqtt server.

Code, Schematic and Gerber file link shared in the description.

https://youtu.be/a0ieb68A5Uk

For IoT based Project Tutorials:
Tutorial on How to post data to Google Firebase using ESP8266
https://youtu.be/WwRjlMKAjXw

Tutorial on How to post data to Thingspeak using ESP8266
https://youtu.be/_2vIPBNzGAQ

How to Get Gmail Notification on ESP8266 & OLED
https://youtu.be/mxU4ZRLazac

How to Post Data To Google Spread Sheet Using ESP8266
https://youtu.be/Fq1kgt_auns

IoT Based Smart Agriculture System | Smart Gardening
https://youtu.be/kWsI6fyNcQA

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Home Automation system using MQTT and ESP8266 | IoT projects
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 02:33:59 am »
And this works until adafruits io server goes belly up.

I would like to see a solution that does not require someone else's server. i'd like to have the server in my house ! This is my gripe with all these iot things today that are being sold everywhere : they all require some cloud service that is unreliable, delaying things , opens snooping into my network ,does god knows what, sits in china , disappears when the owner goes bankrupt or pulls the plug or decides it is time to 'upgrade' ...

Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline epyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 02:54:35 am »
Very good point. We can set the our own server but that is not as easy as this.
I did for private server as well but again it is time consuming job. I am preparing tutorial on that as well.

The following users thanked this post: free_electron

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 03:05:33 am »
I like having multiple options, a server that I can host myself that is compatible with a cloud based server would be great. Then I don't have to mess with that side if I don't want to but I don't have to re-engineer the system when the server goes belly up.

Servers aside, I've been trying to get a RFM69 working properly on a ESP8266 using the arduino core and so far have failed. I'm surprised there aren't more projects doing this as it seems like a common scenario to have some remote sensor nodes and then something to collect the data and post it somewhere. MQTT seems more complex than needed, I've been using dweet to monitor things like the temperature and humidity in our cabin by borrowing a neighbor's wifi.

Offline epyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 03:16:26 am »
Nowadays, Big big companies are falling in love with cloud and IoT stuff. So, i don't think they can quit easily.

Correct me if i am wrong, you were interfacing RFM69 and ESP8266? If yes, how much far your remote device is?
MQTT is not bif deal if you are using with Arduino. If you want to set it up i can help you with that.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 04:08:29 am »
Very good point. We can set the our own server but that is not as easy as this.
I did for private server as well but again it is time consuming job. I am preparing tutorial on that as well.
Thanks !. See my point is : if i buy a device that controls a lamp. And i connect that to the cloud : what prevents someone over at where the server is to start sending random 'on/off' commands to my device ?
There may be end to end encryption between my device and 'that machine over there'. But what if someone hacks that machine ? millions of devices become vulnerable in one shot... what a honeypot !

Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 07:03:58 am »
And this works until adafruits io server goes belly up.
I would like to see a solution that does not require someone else's server. i'd like to have the server in my house ! This is my gripe with all these iot things today that are being sold everywhere : they all require some cloud service that is unreliable, delaying things , opens snooping into my network ,does god knows what, sits in china , disappears when the owner goes bankrupt or pulls the plug or decides it is time to 'upgrade' ...
++++++++++++++++1

Offline epyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 03:18:55 am »
Agree this would create very dangerous situation. Even this is very dangerous where you add technology in manual things.
But as we are in such world where technology brings new things where there can be back-doors/flaws/bugs which leads to dangerous situations (The way hollywood movie shows  ;D).

I have given just demo or poc kind of thing. If someone really has to implement home automation then there are lots of work to do in terms of security.
And same concept can be implemented using our own server and mqtt protocol.
At the end you will have to trust on something if you want to use such technology.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 10:33:47 pm »
that's why i would like to see a proof of concept talking to a local server. press the button on the esp8266 board and the local server says ' button x pressed'. it would fire an event to a scripting language for example.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf