Author Topic: How to Spot a Fake Soldering Iron 😮  (Read 1618 times)

Offline hesam.moshiriTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
How to Spot a Fake Soldering Iron 😮
« on: August 18, 2022, 03:16:41 pm »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: How to Spot a Fake Soldering Iron 😮
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 01:28:27 pm »
No surprise at all! It's the same for LED modules, wall warts and other stuff. Usually 2 - 3 Chinese Watts are 1W. >:D

The following users thanked this post: hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 10:07:11 am »
No surprise at all! It's the same for LED modules, wall warts and other stuff. Usually 2 - 3 Chinese Watts are 1W. >:D

Yes, but you know, I received some comments that I don't know anything and the rated power has no relation ... etc, but real professionals know why a soldering Iron is more expensive than another. Just use a solder wick and flux and try to suck some. none of these cheapies are able to do

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 01:20:44 pm »
Don't take such comments too seriously. Unfortunately it's part of the game. I agree, in most cases cheap irons lack thermal mass and tips don't last long.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 06:46:37 pm »
Yes, for some reason, vendors of cheap chinese soldering gear pretty much all grossly overestimate the rated power.

I bought one of those very cheap "hot plates" on Aliexpress that you can get for a few bucks. It was rated 550W. Real measurements showed only about 200W peak. Max temperature was also a lie - claimed to be 250°C (or even 270, not even sure anymore) and turned out to be barely 220°C right in the center. So barely enough for desoldering jobs on lead-free stuff. Now it still does the job for small boards with not too much thermal mass, but why lie that bad? The price is rock-bottom, we know we ain't getting some high-end gear.

The following users thanked this post: hesam.moshiri

• Regular Contributor
    • MyVanitar
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 09:11:13 am »
Yes, for some reason, vendors of cheap chinese soldering gear pretty much all grossly overestimate the rated power.

I bought one of those very cheap "hot plates" on Aliexpress that you can get for a few bucks. It was rated 550W. Real measurements showed only about 200W peak. Max temperature was also a lie - claimed to be 250°C (or even 270, not even sure anymore) and turned out to be barely 220°C right in the center. So barely enough for desoldering jobs on lead-free stuff. Now it still does the job for small boards with not too much thermal mass, but why lie that bad? The price is rock-bottom, we know we ain't getting some high-end gear.

Yes, this is the difference, why something is more expensive than another one. Unfortunately, some people still argue with me that my measurement is not scientific and all soldering irons are good because they get hot and do the job. low power irons (or fake rated irons) as you said don't have enough thermal mass for the required applications. sometimes it is clear from the size and thickness of the heating element.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf