Author Topic: Marques Brownlee - Samsung Galaxy Fold Cracked Screen  (Read 1303 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Marques Brownlee - Samsung Galaxy Fold Cracked Screen
« on: April 23, 2019, 03:30:28 am »
So Marques Brownlee does this video about the broken screen on the Galaxy Fold review units and mentions he had shot footage of it actually breaking, and I quote:
"I regret that I didn't get to keep that footage"?

So who took his footage? The Footage Fairy?

Obviously I see one of two possibilities:
1) He's contractually obligated to Samsung and they get a say in what footage is used.
or
2) He's scared to show the footage because he doesn't want to upset Samsung and any preferential review favors he might have with them

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: Marques Brownlee - Samsung Galaxy Fold Cracked Screen
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 05:45:19 am »
This is clearly a flawed product that was rushed too much to catch the ever so fast moving smartphone 'innovation' train, they couldn't let another manufacturer beat them to the punch so I'm sure the design team was under heavy time pressure and this is the result.

But id imagine these tech review Youtube channels are VERY heavily dependent on staying on the good side of manufacturers so that they can get the earliest review samples while they are still hot news. So if Samsung as little as says "We would prefer if you don't show that video" this scares the youtubers into hiding it from the world.

Other youtube reviews are no better. People who review games are constantly under strict NDAs while the company behind the game reviews the video before its published. Its hard to find a large youtube channels that can make honest reviews rather than having there hands tied.

EDIT: Oh and this is one of the reasons we like the EEVBlog. If something is shit Dave will sure as hell get his point across about it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:49:16 am by Berni »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 07:14:19 am »
EDIT: Oh and this is one of the reasons we like the EEVBlog. If something is shit Dave will sure as hell get his point across about it.

And several manufacturers will refuse to work with me as result. Tektronix for example. My care factor is precisely zero.
I've completely rubbished and embarrassed companies that not only give me stuff for free, but also pay to advertise on this forum and the website. Again, care factor precisely zero  ;D

The following users thanked this post: ucanel

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 11:12:15 am »
And to their credit, some companies even come back with an improved product for a second round in the ring.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 11:16:45 am »
He showed picture of his phone with partially removed foil before he sent that phone back to Samsung... picture's in same video.

I guess he lost footage or deleted it...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 11:26:11 am »
And to their credit, some companies even come back with an improved product for a second round in the ring.
That's how you recognise a good company. They don't take a bad review personally.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 11:46:53 am »
And several manufacturers will refuse to work with me as result. Tektronix for example. My care factor is precisely zero.
I've completely rubbished and embarrassed companies that not only give me stuff for free, but also pay to advertise on this forum and the website. Again, care factor precisely zero  ;D

Actually the new 8 channel Tek scope would be one hell of a comeback after the UI issues that the older MDO series had. Really nice scope that thing, even if it is pretty pricey.

Ah well there own loss for cheep yet very effective marketing. I wonder how much the giant fancy booth at trade shows costs vs how many scopes they sell as a result of it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf