Author Topic: My video had a unexpected high view count. What the ?  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
My video had a unexpected high view count. What the ?
« on: October 05, 2019, 01:08:45 am »
This seemed a bit strange to me and was a  unexpected.
When looking at  the views on my videos for the past year till last month, my views run 2 to 6k per video.  I am a bit over 12k subs. That is about average on my channel.

A week ago I posted a new video that was an hour and a half long.  Nothing I thought was special. Just repairing an old shortwave receiver that is not even that popular.  So here a week later this video has hit over 11k views.  And over 400 likes.
No, I did not buy views, would never so that.  I just find it interesting that this has happened.  I have also not changed anything thing like tags or whatever.

Just do not understand how this could be.

Below is a screen shot showing views.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 10:10:59 am by Radio Tech »

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
Re: My video had a unexpected high view count. What the ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 01:40:20 am »
Word is getting out.  Shit happens. You could've at least embedded your video. I like the way you put your channel name on your video thumbnails. Very helpful without being in your face with clickbait fluoro text. Your style appeals to me and I imagine it appeals to fellow radio enthusiasts.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:46:41 am by wilfred »

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 10:35:09 am »
Yes you are right, It happens.  :-DD

Since I had posted the video in the ham radio section I did not post here due to "spamming" the forum. But the thread has only had 201 views. This is the only site I post videos on other than my own.

I hate click bait and is why I do the thumbnail the way it is. Just not into fancy eye candy stuff.  But if that is what folks want o do it is fine by me.

I went back last night and looked at other creators  view count. Looking at the average views per video.  So if you have 50k subscribers does not mean you are going to get 50k views per video.  Like the following estimates,
Big Clive, 550k subs, I see 30 to 60k views per video over a month.
EEVBlog,  660k subs. I see 35 to 75k views.

I very seldom see creators get maximum views per video depending on subscriber counts.  This video is now within a few hundred views of my sub count.
Do not get me wrong, I am not complaining about the amount of views this video has accumulated in less than a week.  I just find it odd.  :-//
Guess we will see in the next few upcoming videos.

But before I do I have to clean the shop up. Place is a mess.

Thanks wilfred for the comment.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 02:50:23 pm »
I'm on Flickr since, like, forever it seems. I never understood how they select photos to go into 'Explore' and I could not relate any property of my photos to them being chosen. YouTube is the same.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 12:45:17 am »
If you are talking about the splash screen like in the above video YouTube gives you an option to upload a thumb nail. I do that on all my videos.

Anyway this video has hit 13098 views!  That is more than my subscriber count now. I really do not know why this video has so many views compared to my other ones.  :-//

Perhaps the IF transformer rebuild? No idea.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 01:00:01 am »
Can you see the countries or dates of the peaks in views. When I had a look a few days ago it seemed to be on twitter near ppl who where posting POTUS and Greta Thumbscrews videos.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 02:50:41 am »
Anyway this video has hit 13098 views!  That is more than my subscriber count now. I really do not know why this video has so many views compared to my other ones.  :-//

Perhaps the IF transformer rebuild? No idea.
Could be more prosaic, such as youtube algorithm glitch.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 06:51:50 am »
I just pointed another guy who wants to align a  Hallicrafters  err, Hammarlund HQ140X at your video! ;D
Edit:- Oops!I got my "H"s mixed up, however, looking a the schematics they are very similar!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:08:45 am by vk6zgo »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 08:39:51 am »
You should be able to get data on the source of the views.
Most likely either linked in some other popular forum, or "the algorithm" liked your video for some reason and was recommending it.
I think about half of my daily views (channel wide) come from Youtube recommending my videos.

Yes you are right, It happens.  :-DD
I went back last night and looked at other creators  view count. Looking at the average views per video.  So if you have 50k subscribers does not mean you are going to get 50k views per video. 

Correct, no channel get 100% sub/view ratio. A typical channel in our field will get around 10%, 20% for a broad appeal video. Under 5% and you'd consider that channel to have very poor community engagement.
The sub/view ratio goes up the more focused and formulaic your content is. e.g. Great Scott would be an excellent example of that, you get the same style and length video every time. Big Clive as well is pretty consistent. My channel is not because I make a dozen different styles of content so it can't appeal to everyone.

I very seldom see creators get maximum views per video depending on subscriber counts.  This video is now within a few hundred views of my sub count.

These views came from outside your subscribers.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 08:44:11 am »
Take my recent Tesla Solar catching fire video that might have wider appeal
20% comes from suggested/recommended views.
1.7M million suggested video impressions for a 2.6% click through rate.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:49:11 am by EEVblog »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 08:47:27 am »
Or take an old but hugely popular video Opamp Tutorial that still gets 22k views every month

50% from suggested, 20% from search

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 02:19:07 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys. Would have replied back sooner but my youngest daughter was married this past week. Been really busy!.

So looking at the data looks like most of this was YouTube recommended. And 65% was US based.
The video got up to 13.3k vies and over 500 likes.  Then watch time declined over the week end.

Very interesting.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 08:16:24 am »
So looking at the data looks like most of this was YouTube recommended. And 65% was US based.
The video got up to 13.3k vies and over 500 likes.  Then watch time declined over the week end.
Very interesting.

This is what "The Algorithm" used to do well, and it was a way for channels to get a leg up and get recognised. Good to see it's still kinda doing that.

The following users thanked this post: Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 12:31:11 am »

This is what "The Algorithm" used to do well, and it was a way for channels to get a leg up and get recognised. Good to see it's still kinda doing that.

I think you are spot on  :-+

Reason being is at one time when I loaded the YouTube page I would see one or two of my videos on the page. Along with a lot of others I watch including yours. Then one day just random stuff pops up, nothing electronic related.  None of my videos or folks I was subscribed to.  Was mostly stuff I do not watch, like sports, talent shows, car repair, all random stuff.  It has been like that for many months now.

I watch no TV. Only electronic, machining, and equipment restoration related YouTube videos.  Then a few weeks back more of the electronic videos started showing up, a few days later I saw five on my videos on the main page.

Like you said, "The Algorithm" must have a lot to do with it.

Offline madsbarnkob

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 06:50:51 am »
I have a similar video or experience with a similar context. A seemingly average teardown of a ordinary elevator controller/drive, but apparently I hit some kind of Kone elevator enthusiasts or something like that, I got no idea why this video have gotten 20k~ when there is so many other teardown videos, I guess elevators just hit broader than RF base station amplifier teardowns :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf